Author Topic: Frontier Silicon: major changes lead to limited usability of all FS radios  (Read 8238 times)

steve1475

I just searched on "BBC 4" and found BBC 4, BBC 4 LW, and BBC 4 Extra and they all played. I then searched on RNE and the first entry was "rne Radio Clasica" and it too played without issue. I have the WFR-28C, emphasis on the C. It has the color screen. At one point when talking to a fellow at Sangean he questioned whether my radio had the color screen, so I suppose if your's does not, it might be different enough to be behaving differently.

alloja

Pablo, I just checked and am able to hear all of them on my Roberts Stream 107 (= Sangean WFR-27C), but the labels differ from yours. I have
BBC Radio 4
BBC Radio 4 Extra
BBC Radio 4 LW
and
rne Radio Clásica
which all play fine right now.

Pablo

Thanks for your kind replies.

I am able now to receive rne Radio Clasica on my Sangean DDR-63 but not yet  on the WFR-28. Still no luck with BBC Radio 4.

When I punch in BBC Radio 4 on the DDR-63 the LED screen shows the station Connecting for about five seconds and the screen shows “Loading”, But even after five minutes it still doesn’t play.
rne Radio Clasica on the DDR-63 takes a few seconds to Connect and about 25 seconds to load. The WFR-28 times out before this station will load.

Any theories?

I should add that the signal strength from the router is excellent.

castalla

• Administrator
According to Sonos there's an issue with BBC streams in The US at the moment.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

steve1475

I don't really have much to add and you might have already done these two things.

1 – I would reboot the radio. Mine tends to get sluggish writing the screen after a few weeks. (It's always plugged into the AC adapter.) Rebooting to me means unplug it for a minute. The screen writing always gets snappy after this. I've never noticed any change in loading time, but hey it's worth a shot.

2 – I would check whether there is a firmware update available. I did find one a few months back and let it update, hoping the loading time would improve. I have no idea how long that might have been available because I never use to check, but the vtuner unreliability drove me to it at that time. I let the radio apply the update and did not notice any improvement, but it's worth a shot if one is available for your radios.

Good luck.
The following users thanked this post: drgeoff

Pablo

Thanks to both of you.

Took your suggestion and rebooted the WFR-28. The improvement was immediate.
Now able to get rne Clasica to load within 5 seconds. However still no luck with the BBC-4.

Perhaps there is a glitch in London as reported here. I am beginning to suspect that this is the case as BBC 1, 2, 3, as well as Radio London are not loading either.
 Yet the BBC app on my iPhone is working normally so all is not lost.

Hoping that this FS mess is soon sorted out.

castalla

• Administrator
Sonos still reporting:

BBC station playback issues on TuneIn Radio in North America
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Pablo

Sorry to be slow with this update..
This past Thursday evening I tried again and this time BBC 4 loaded and played with virtually no delay. Same with Radio London.
Whatever the cause of the problem, it  now seems repaired. Thinking the fix might be a fluke, I was reluctant to report the sudden welcomed reappearance. I was even unsure if I should switch the radio off thinking 4 might disappear yet again. Alas, back and better than before.
I don’t think I’ll lay this mysterious hiatus at the feet of Frontier-Silicon.

Thanks again for those of you who offered suggestions.

NickW

I went through the muck-up with Frontier / vTuner earlier in the month.  My Sangean WFR-28C wasn't working for a day or so but then it started picking up stations again.  All was good until a couple of days ago when it stopped connecting to stations again. 

The radio connects to my network and I can see it from my router.  I went into the radio's Software Update, Check Now and it came back with a tick and Up To Date, so I'm guessing that means it got to a server somewhere.  However when I go to the Station List, I get Please Wait, Loading..., then Network Timeout.  If I go to one of my preset stations it shows Connecting... with an empty bar underneath and it just sits there.

I've been to https://status.frontiersmart.com/ and it shows Internet Radio and Podcasts are Operational with no incidents showing in the last several days.  However when I try to get to https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/home I get Server Not Found.  The former makes me think the problem is mine, the latter that there is a broader problem with Frontier.  Is anyone else having problems with their internet radio service through Frontier?

As an aside, I bought my radio as a Factory Refurbished one, so it's possible the thing is just faulty, although it's been running OK for a year.  My SW Version is ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0080_V2.6.17c4.EX53330-1RC7.  I'm in Australia and the radio's Wlan Region is Most of Europe.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

Cheers, Nick.

zeewier

• Administrator

However when I try to get to https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/home I get Server Not Found.

That link is working fine here at the moment.
The following users thanked this post: NickW

Dogmatix

G'day, Nick, and welcome to the Internet Radio Forum!

The radio connects to my network and I can see it from my router.  I went into the radio's Software Update, Check Now and it came back with a tick and Up To Date, so I'm guessing that means it got to a server somewhere.  However when I go to the Station List, I get Please Wait, Loading..., then Network Timeout.  If I go to one of my preset stations it shows Connecting... with an empty bar underneath and it just sits there.

I know it sounds like a stock reply, but.... have you tried a cold restart (disconnect power, batteries out if fitted, wait a minute, then reconnect)? Maybe also of your router? And if all that doesn't work, you may have to grit your teeth and do a factory reset.

I've been to https://status.frontiersmart.com/ and it shows Internet Radio and Podcasts are Operational with no incidents showing in the last several days.  However when I try to get to https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/home I get Server Not Found. 

Both working fine for me.

My SW Version is ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0080_V2.6.17c4.EX53330-1RC7.

I have (amongst other radios from other brands) a Sangean WFR-29C, with SW version ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0082_V2.6.17c4.EX53330-1RC10, which is basically the same version as yours. This is quite an old version, but Sangean appear to have a policy of not upgrading older models - perhaps in the hope that customers will replace them with a modern Sangean model. If and when the time comes to replace my Sangean, it certainly won't be with another Sangean. We use it as a kitchen radio - I chose it at the time because it is stereo, has hitchen-compatible rubbery buttons, and five preset buttons on the front. Without "My Favourites", having only five presets is a real setback, and if Frontier don't come up with something similar, the I'll have to replace the Sangean. The only candidates that have stereo speakers, all controls (with at least 5 direct preset buttons) and display and speakers on the front, plenty of presets, up-tp-date software, and fit on a small corner shelf would be the Roberts Stream 93i or 94i.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.
The following users thanked this post: NickW

smards

Hi I'm in Australia and  have a dick smith brand radio that used Wifi frontier radio, I just want to know if they are going to fix their problem so i can use my internet radio again and when this is likely to happen or what the alternative is, it's very inconvenient that i have to send time googling to find out what was wrong with my radio and how to fix this problem.  I also can not connect wififrontier.com, says server not found. and i have factory reset my radio and unplugged it and plugged it in again.  I'm not very tec savvy. So I need these problems spelt out. Please help radio forum people!
« Last Edit: 18:24:33 | 23 June, 2019 by smards »

EuConn

I assume fellow Aussies experiencing this problem are iiNet customers.
Our radios use the wifiradio-frontier.com portal for the internet radion function. It appears iinet's DNS servers can no longer find that site. The problem has been around for a few days now and reported to iiNet but apparently it has not been fixed yet.
You will find you can't browse to https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com or http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com using iinet's default DNS settings from any device using a default iiNet connection.
For the radio to operate with your iiNet connection until these DNS problems are fixed, override the primary or secondary DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. You can apply this change either in the radio settings or in your router by following the relevant instructions in your product manuals.

NickW

Hi Zeewier and Dogmatix, thank you both for your replies.  You have been helpful!  And EuConn, I'm sorry I hadn't seen your post before now.  I've spent 1/2 the day on this!  Smards, this might solve your problem too.

It was interesting to find out that https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/home was working for both Zeewier and Dogmatix.  I was still getting Server Not Found when I tried again this morning.  However I tried using my mobile phone as a hotspot on the 4G network and connected my laptop to it.  Bingo, the page came up for me!  Then I tried connecting my radio to the phone hotspot and I was able to connect / listen to stations.  I am guessing the radio station list / redirect held by Frontier is on the same server as their support portal.  EuConn's comment is relevant anyway.  Regardless, at the time I figured the problem was my end / my LAN.

I rebooted my laptop and the router, and I still couldn't get to https://support.wifiradiofrontier.com/portal/home.  (My radio also still didn't work when connected to my router.)  So I thought this must be a DNS issue.  I tried running a VPN service I use on my laptop and the page came up.  But without the VPN running, the page wouldn't load. 

Having looked into the DNS server, it is the one from my ISP, (iinet.com.au, 203.0.178.191 Primary and 203.215.29.191 Secondary).  I changed this to the Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 Primary and 8.8.4.4 Secondary).  The page comes up and my radio works!    :-)   

However the irony is that when I try to get to http://iradioforum.net now, it times out!  :-(  I checked it on my phone and the page came up immediately.  So I've had to use my phone to make this post.  Lord knows why this timeout is happening but I think I will stick with Google's DNS on my router so I can use my radio.

Cheers, Nick.

NickW

Smards, what brand and model of router do you have?  Might be able to help you through the process of changing your DNS settings if you tell us this.  Otherwise, have a look at the section headed Routers about 3/4 of the way down this page: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.  (Note: changing your DNS server in Windows Settings won't help your radio.  You will have to do it in your router to get your radio to connect.)