Author Topic: Frontier Silicon: major changes lead to limited usability of all FS radios  (Read 4384 times)

steve1475

I just searched on "BBC 4" and found BBC 4, BBC 4 LW, and BBC 4 Extra and they all played. I then searched on RNE and the first entry was "rne Radio Clasica" and it too played without issue. I have the WFR-28C, emphasis on the C. It has the color screen. At one point when talking to a fellow at Sangean he questioned whether my radio had the color screen, so I suppose if your's does not, it might be different enough to be behaving differently.

alloja

Pablo, I just checked and am able to hear all of them on my Roberts Stream 107 (= Sangean WFR-27C), but the labels differ from yours. I have
BBC Radio 4
BBC Radio 4 Extra
BBC Radio 4 LW
and
rne Radio Clásica
which all play fine right now.

Pablo

Thanks for your kind replies.

I am able now to receive rne Radio Clasica on my Sangean DDR-63 but not yet  on the WFR-28. Still no luck with BBC Radio 4.

When I punch in BBC Radio 4 on the DDR-63 the LED screen shows the station Connecting for about five seconds and the screen shows “Loading”, But even after five minutes it still doesn’t play.
rne Radio Clasica on the DDR-63 takes a few seconds to Connect and about 25 seconds to load. The WFR-28 times out before this station will load.

Any theories?

I should add that the signal strength from the router is excellent.

castalla

• Administrator
According to Sonos there's an issue with BBC streams in The US at the moment.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

steve1475

I don't really have much to add and you might have already done these two things.

1 – I would reboot the radio. Mine tends to get sluggish writing the screen after a few weeks. (It's always plugged into the AC adapter.) Rebooting to me means unplug it for a minute. The screen writing always gets snappy after this. I've never noticed any change in loading time, but hey it's worth a shot.

2 – I would check whether there is a firmware update available. I did find one a few months back and let it update, hoping the loading time would improve. I have no idea how long that might have been available because I never use to check, but the vtuner unreliability drove me to it at that time. I let the radio apply the update and did not notice any improvement, but it's worth a shot if one is available for your radios.

Good luck.
The following users thanked this post: drgeoff

Pablo

Thanks to both of you.

Took your suggestion and rebooted the WFR-28. The improvement was immediate.
Now able to get rne Clasica to load within 5 seconds. However still no luck with the BBC-4.

Perhaps there is a glitch in London as reported here. I am beginning to suspect that this is the case as BBC 1, 2, 3, as well as Radio London are not loading either.
 Yet the BBC app on my iPhone is working normally so all is not lost.

Hoping that this FS mess is soon sorted out.

castalla

• Administrator
Sonos still reporting:

BBC station playback issues on TuneIn Radio in North America
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Pablo

Sorry to be slow with this update..
This past Thursday evening I tried again and this time BBC 4 loaded and played with virtually no delay. Same with Radio London.
Whatever the cause of the problem, it  now seems repaired. Thinking the fix might be a fluke, I was reluctant to report the sudden welcomed reappearance. I was even unsure if I should switch the radio off thinking 4 might disappear yet again. Alas, back and better than before.
I don’t think I’ll lay this mysterious hiatus at the feet of Frontier-Silicon.

Thanks again for those of you who offered suggestions.

anything