Author Topic: Is the Internet Radio doomed?  (Read 145 times)

• I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
Is the Internet Radio doomed?
« on: 05:27:51 | 11 June, 2019 »
Given recent issues with portals for Internet Radios and the further development of Amazon Echo, Google devices etc., is the free standing internet radio and indeed some streaming tuners, doomed to obsolescence?
I thought that I was wrong once, but I may have been mistaken :-)

castalla

• Administrator
Re: Is the Internet Radio doomed?
« Reply #1 on: 06:06:24 | 11 June, 2019 »
Given recent issues with portals for Internet Radios and the further development of Amazon Echo, Google devices etc., is the free standing internet radio and indeed some streaming tuners, doomed to obsolescence?

For some yes, for others probably not.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 07:05:47 | 11 June, 2019 »

I don't think so, at least not in the USA.  Grace Digital continues to develop new models, some in conjunction with SiriusXM.  I imagine internet radio will remain a small niche product as it always has been.  As an example of what an internet radio can do that an Echo or a Google home device can't, neither the Echo nor Google is going to easily work as a UPnP renderer.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

ShortWave Dave

• Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #3 on: 07:50:07 | 11 June, 2019 »
For the price sensitive folks out there, you can't beat a Google Mini or Alexa Dot. My favorite feature is that I can link these together for whole house sound.

But at the same time, I own a Mondo+ and Encore+. They have very desirable features. I've owned Grace Digital products for around 10 years, maybe longer.

The problem with the older radios is that they are old. Streaming has changed, and the product designers have moved on. Since this stuff relies on outside servers, pretty much everything ends up as a Chumby.

Dave
Dave-N2DS, Google Home, Alexa, Mondo, Encore Plus.

Dogmatix

« Reply #4 on: 11:52:09 | 11 June, 2019 »
For some yes, for others probably not.

Indeed so. Some people are happy with faffing about with apps on a mobile telephone linked to external speakers or an amplifier. Some have no qualms about voice-control gadgets which listen to your every word. For myself, I prefer internet radios, which I can switch on and listen to some far-away radio station without starting an app or talking to it. Want a different station? Just press a preset button.

I admit that sometimes, when we go on holiday somewhere, I sort of use my phone for internet radio - as a WLAN modem to connect a portable internet radio (Revo PiXiS or Roberts 93i) to the internet via the mobile phone network. 

So for me, no, the internet radio set is not obsolete. And if that makes me old-fashioned, so be it.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

« Reply #5 on: 02:00:15 | 12 June, 2019 »
Maybe I should have kept quiet! Today my Denon, Vtuner based, tuner refuses to connect. I have rebooted but it just says 'Server Disconnected'.
All other source options work ok, except 'Internet Radio'. I have tried, many times, to reconnect the tuner to my wifi but no change.

Any advice, please?

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 03:37:42 | 12 June, 2019 »
Yamaha have addressed this issue:  https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/0305_av_update_on_internet_radio_station_access.html

Have Denon not something similar?
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

« Reply #7 on: 06:10:16 | 12 June, 2019 »
Yamaha have addressed this issue:  https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/0305_av_update_on_internet_radio_station_access.html

Have Denon not something similar?
My Denon tells me that it has Latest Update.

anything