Author Topic: BBC & Tunein  (Read 693 times)

castalla

• Administrator
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Dogmatix

Re: BBC & Tunein
« Reply #1 on: 14:26:00 | 12 August, 2019 »
I suppose the article refers to TuneIn Inc., rather than Tune In GmbH (who run Airable who now supply station database services for Frontier Smart, formerly known as Fronter Silicon).

Either way, this is a worrying trend. Since there is no reliable listener data for the terrestrial radio broadcasts (FM, LW, DAB) they go for data from sources with a backchannel - internet and cable.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 15:20:13 | 12 August, 2019 »
If, as this article says, the BBC is kissing TuneIn goodbye only in the UK, won't you still be able to get the BBC on TuneIn in places such as Spain, Germany or the US (at least for now)?
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 00:46:51 | 13 August, 2019 »
From the article, it would indeed appear that non-UK listeners are to be spared. For, as you say, now.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

• I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: 03:23:48 | 13 August, 2019 »
Maybe Tune In is playing hardball and trying to increase revenue. Another Tune In change that may be connected, as it has coincided, is that a simple request 'Alexa, Play Radio Caroline', no longer finds that station but offers the listener 'something you might like'. The request now has to be 'Alexa, Play Radio Caroline on Tune In'.
It is not all stations, so maybe a payment can be made to Tune In to re-instate the shortened request.

Amazon have confirmed to me that it is not an Amazon change but that the offered Tune In connections to stations is now presented in folders, one of which requires the stations id to include the Tune In reference.
I thought that I was wrong once, but I may have been mistaken :-)

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #5 on: 03:38:20 | 13 August, 2019 »
The BBC is focussing on "Sounds" which is only available in the UK.

I'm using BBC Radio Player here in the US but finding more and more stuff only available on Sounds.

The BBC has already withdrawn from Google Podcasts for some reason.

I'll check the BBC's availability on Tune-In next time I'm in the car.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 04:11:20 | 13 August, 2019 »
The BBC is focussing on "Sounds" which is only available in the UK.

I'm using BBC Radio Player here in the US but finding more and more stuff only available on Sounds.

The BBC has already withdrawn from Google Podcasts for some reason.

I'll check the BBC's availability on Tune-In next time I'm in the car.

I can get BBC Sounds using a browser.  And, virtually all the BBC material is available using LMS and bpa's plugins.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 04:50:22 | 13 August, 2019 »
I can't understand why the BBC is so keen on collecting listener data.  They don't have enough listeners outside the UK that they can collect statistically meaningful data, and inside the UK the BBC can't accept advertising, which presumably is what listener data could be used for.  The whole thing sounds like something driven by some group of disconnected administrators.  I guess that's how they came up with DASH.
Radios:   Grace GDI-IRA500, 2 GDI-IRDT200s, GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000W, Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace and Reciva iradio apps

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 06:01:29 | 13 August, 2019 »
I can't understand why the BBC is so keen on collecting listener data.  They don't have enough listeners outside the UK that they can collect statistically meaningful data, and inside the UK the BBC can't accept advertising, which presumably is what listener data could be used for.  The whole thing sounds like something driven by some group of disconnected administrators.  I guess that's how they came up with DASH.

I guess they want to profile the user base.  Sounds is heavily biased towards 'The Youf' audience.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 06:31:14 | 13 August, 2019 »

I guess they want to profile the user base.  Sounds is heavily biased towards 'The Youf' audience.

I guess so, but it seems to me that there could be easier ways of profiling the user base that don't involve making their services inaccessible.  Maybe the whole thing is intended to force every listener to use their new-every-6-months app.  The people who aren't listening through their apps are probably non-Yutes and therefore don't matter.

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #10 on: 09:22:34 | 13 August, 2019 »
Currently I have a CLAZIO MA-607 in my kitchen.
It's an Android based device and I have found that the Replaio app is better than Tunein.
I have given up on Sounds too and gone back to iPlayer radio for as long as it lasts. Sounds was ridiculously slow in changing streams.
Don't know if BBC will take the same steps with Replaio as it has with Tunein.

Mainly my listening is done via Squeezebox and LMS thanks to BPA and others.
ANOTHERBOB  
RECIVA RADIO...... AVOX Indio Color.
Non RECIVA RADIOS......  Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. Clazio MA-607. REVO Pixis RX

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #11 on: 15:06:06 | 14 August, 2019 »
I could understand it if they were in the process of monetising their extramural-UK base. I've said before that I'd gladly pay for access. As it is I work around for TV and stuff in a dubiously legal way.

Oddly, when BBC podcasts were available on Google Podcast they came in with regionally appropriate advertising interludes. Irritating, but I got it. Now programming is only available by RSS feed or Radio iPlayer, and there are no adverts. Maybe Google was skimming the advert money for themselves, hence the BBC's withdrawal, but it showed that people were prepared to put up with commercials or pay the price for excellent feeds.
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
dumnonia.us

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 00:31:32 | 15 August, 2019 »
I could understand it if they were in the process of monetising their extramural-UK base. I've said before that I'd gladly pay for access. As it is I work around for TV and stuff in a dubiously legal way.

Oddly, when BBC podcasts were available on Google Podcast they came in with regionally appropriate advertising interludes. Irritating, but I got it. Now programming is only available by RSS feed or Radio iPlayer, and there are no adverts. Maybe Google was skimming the advert money for themselves, hence the BBC's withdrawal, but it showed that people were prepared to put up with commercials or pay the price for excellent feeds.

Strange.  Some podcasts for me contain the advertising statement at the start, but I've never heard a single ad.

• I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
« Reply #13 on: 01:07:29 | 15 August, 2019 »
It seems that Tune in stations are not available in the UK this morning.
I was listening to BBC Radio Suffolk on Amazon Echo, just before 8:30am BST, when it suddenly stopped. I asked to resume but the message was 'unable to connect to Tune In'.
I thought that I was wrong once, but I may have been mistaken :-)

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #14 on: 01:24:57 | 15 August, 2019 »
Hmmm... I just asked Alexa to play Radio5Live on TuneIn.

The reply was, "Sorry, something went wrong".
dumnonia.us

anything