Author Topic: Did a factory reset and now can't upgrade firmware.  (Read 209 times)

Nighthawk

Did a factory reset and now can't upgrade firmware.
« on: 21:54:26 | 20 September, 2019 »
I did a factory reset on my Grace IR2000 because of issues connecting to my Wi-Fi.  It connects fine now, but I just assumed I could upgrade the firmware to the last one I had before the updates stopped.  No.  Now when I "Check for updates"  it comes up "No upgrade available".  Is there a way to get my radio back to the later updates or am I stuck with the factory firmware?

drgeoff

Re: Did a factory reset and now can't upgrade firmware.
« Reply #1 on: 01:29:04 | 21 September, 2019 »
I think you misunderstand "factory reset".

It is extremely rare on any equipment for a "factory reset" to change the firmware version. Almost always it means to set all parameters back to the default values that apply to the firmware currently in the unit. That is, the equipment reverts to the state that it would have been in if it had left the factory with the firmware it had at the time of the reset.

Most equipment has only enough storage for one version of firmware. An upgrade overwrites whatever was there. The version that was fitted at the time of manufacture in the factory is gone. A reset cannot bring it back.

A pound to a penny that your radio still has the exact same firmware that it had the moment before you did the reset.

dog-man

« Reply #2 on: 02:32:45 | 21 September, 2019 »
Correct!

Nighthawk

« Reply #3 on: 04:21:41 | 21 September, 2019 »
I guess the reason I thought that is the display seems different now, showing the date on the screen along with station info and metadata.  Before the factory reset it wasn't showing the date, just the station and track info.

How would I get it to the Legacy enhanced firmware these days, by the way?  The feature to change it no longer works on the Reciva site.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07:24:16 | 21 September, 2019 »
To quote forum member @Dogmatix who posted the following some time ago in response to somebody who asked for a way to install the legacy enhanced firmware:

Reciva (info@reciva.com) have been known to oblige for individual users, but you may need to wait a few days for an answer. You need to give them the serial numbers (under 'Settings') of the radio(s).

I don't know whether Reciva still offers this service but it's worth a try.
The following users thanked this post: Nighthawk

Nighthawk

« Reply #5 on: 18:33:00 | 21 September, 2019 »
To quote forum member @Dogmatix who posted the following some time ago in response to somebody who asked for a way to install the legacy enhanced firmware:

Reciva (info@reciva.com) have been known to oblige for individual users, but you may need to wait a few days for an answer. You need to give them the serial numbers (under 'Settings') of the radio(s).

I don't know whether Reciva still offers this service but it's worth a try.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.