Author Topic: Bush TR2015 and TalkRadio MP3 stream  (Read 191 times)

Jim27

Bush TR2015 and TalkRadio MP3 stream
« on: 13:36:29 | 16 June, 2020 »
My Bush TR2015 plays all MP3 streams that I have tried in the Reciva database perfectly with the exception of those stations belonging to the UK based Wireless group. These are TalkRadio, TalkSport and TalkSport 2 which play distorted with artifacts in the audio similar to those experienced with a weak Vanilla DAB signal. i assume that it is an MP3 incompatibility with the Bush as the station URL's play okay when launched from a browser. Would like to know whether anybody with a Reciva based radio has experienced the same problem.  TalkRadio is switching from DAB to DAB+ this month and my current DAB radio isn't compatible.

Thanks in advance

Jaz

Re: Bush TR2015 and TalkRadio MP3 stream
« Reply #1 on: 16:18:22 | 17 June, 2020 »
My Revo Pico and Logik IR100 behave exactly as you describe on those channels.

One possible workaround for you is buying a Pop Nano DAB+ radio from eBay. I recently grabbed a couple of these at a tenner a go, and they're really quite good (once you bin the supplied headphones). They seem to have gone up to £13 now, but still decent value IMO.
The following users thanked this post: Jim27

Dogmatix

« Reply #2 on: 01:36:24 | 18 June, 2020 »
These three stations are on the database used by Frontier-based radios as talkRADIO, talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2, and they play perfectly well on my Roberts radio, with MP3 at a bit rate of 64kbps and a sampling rate of only 22kHz on talkRADIO, 64kbps and 44.1kHz on talkSPORT, and 128kbps and 44.1kHz on talkSPORT 2.

Maybe Reciva has different streams in their database?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Jim27

« Reply #3 on: 04:54:45 | 18 June, 2020 »
Thanks to Jaz and Dogmatrix. Had a look at the Pop Nano DAB+ radio, but will give it a miss for now. My two DAB/FM non DAB+ radios are both good quality tabletop radios so want to continue to use them.
The following URL'S when added to the Reciva Streams option result in the same problem - http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/wgtalkradio.m3u - http://radio.talkradio.co.uk/stream.
Your Roberts radio Dogmatrix being no doubt of later manufacture probably has a later MP3 codec than my Bush and Jaz's two radios.
I have however devised a cunning plan  to solve by problem using an Raspberry Pi Model B with Libreelec (Kodi) installed and set to boot (so that it can be run headless) into playing the TalkRadio MP3 stream (only one of interest). The model B has an audio output connector compatible with my iSound FM Music Transmitter originally intended to listen to MP3 players or iPods wirelessly for in car use or home stereo. Have tested it and it works okay with TalkRadio on 87.7Mhz around my house and half way up the road. Little bit of background hum but better than nothing.

Dogmatix

« Reply #4 on: 07:07:26 | 18 June, 2020 »
Your Roberts radio Dogmatrix being no doubt of later manufacture probably has a later MP3 codec than my Bush and Jaz's two radios.

Just for clarity, current Roberts Radios radios do not use the Reciva module, portal or database; like most internet radios on the European market nowadays, they use a Frontier Smart (a.k.a. Frontier Silicon) module and portal, and the Airable database. 
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 09:06:28 | 18 June, 2020 »
Reciva is using the URL http://radio.talkradio.co.uk/stream for Talkradio UK (https://radios.reciva.com/station/33590). Its audio sounds distorted indeed when played on my Avox Indo Petite, which is a relatively recent Reciva radio. This suggests that there is a problem with the audio stream rather than the radios.

Jim27

« Reply #6 on: 09:53:06 | 18 June, 2020 »
I am currently in Google Chrome (Ubuntu 20.04). If I click the link http://radio.talkradio.co.uk/stream it opens a new tab and plays the stream cleanly indicating the stream to be okay. Kodi's Radio add-on from the Official Kodi Add-on repository uses the same stream and that sounds okay as well.

Is it possible to ascertain which stream the  Frontier Smart (a.k.a. Frontier Silicon)  database is using?

Alternatively is the Roberts capable of playing the above stream directly like the Reciva user defined streams function.

Crystalset

« Reply #7 on: 11:55:38 | 18 June, 2020 »
On my Roberts WM201(Reciva) TalkSport sounds awful. On my Squeezebox Radio it works  ok.

Dogmatix

« Reply #8 on: 12:56:27 | 18 June, 2020 »
I have added both "http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/wgtalkradio.m3u" and "http://radio.talkradio.co.uk/stream" as "personal streams" on the Frontier portal, and both play clearly on my (Frontier-based) Roberts SB1, at 64kbps bitrate and 22kHz sampling (these values would be useless for a music channel, but for talk, it's OK).

I have also tried those "personal streams" and talkRADIO from the Frontier database on a Hama radio and on a Sangean radio with an older firmware; they all play well.

I do not know any way of finding out which URL Frontier uses on its database.
« Last Edit: 13:08:05 | 18 June, 2020 by Dogmatix »

Jim27

« Reply #9 on: 14:50:27 | 18 June, 2020 »
Thanks to Dogmatix for trying those streams on your Roberts and other Frontier based radios. I use the Bush to play mp3 music files using its Media player function from network storage. Most of the mp3's are from my cd collection and they all play okay. However some were  downloaded from a well known source on the internet and some played and others didn't. Those that the Bush didn't like my Kodi media played just fine. The mp3 handling software on all reciva radios one would expect to be the same as it resides on the reciva plug in processor board which I think are interchangeable between brands (may be wrong) so all reciva radios with software at the same issue level would be expected to behave the same. Reciva radios just don't like some mp3's.

Have emailed both the parent company the Wireless Group and TalkRadio themselves about the issue but don't expect any replies.