Author Topic: Upstart issue  (Read 164 times)

oldeman

Upstart issue
« on: 08:11:35 | 25 July, 2020 »
I have a Frontier Silicon based internet radio tuner (X4-Tech).
When starting, often the following takes place: connection with Airable, station starts playing for a few sec, then the unit restarts (this might repeat itself in some cases), and finally the radio station starts playing normally without any troubles. It is really an upstart issue. I unchecked all power saving settings in the ethernet adapters to no avail. And the issue is with both LAN and WLAN connections.
I have no clue what might be the cause. What I do not understand is that it takes place after the station already plays for a few sec. I am wondering whether it has something to do with Airable.

Dogmatix

Re: Upstart issue
« Reply #1 on: 13:31:28 | 25 July, 2020 »
Does this happen on any station you play? Or just certain stations?

I assume you've had the radio check for software updates?

Does the radio also have DAB and/or FM, if so, does this problem also appear in those modes? Ditto for Spotify and Media Player?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

drgeoff

« Reply #2 on: 01:45:20 | 26 July, 2020 »
Might be a failing power supply. Is the tuner an IR-1200? Unfortunately those have an internal PSU so not possible to try another wall-wart.

oldeman

« Reply #3 on: 06:31:50 | 26 July, 2020 »
Thanks for reactions sofar.
Dogmatix@ Does this happen on any station you play
Yes, it does
drgeoff@ Is the tuner an IR-1200?
Yes, it is
I still explore the effect of setting changes. After a change, I have to await several starts and time periods, since not every start is followed by a restart.
The recent modifications I made is a change to a different dns provider and to uncheck the IPv6 settings in the router.
I will further report tomorrow.

oldeman

« Reply #4 on: 22:21:32 | 27 July, 2020 »
Startup issue seems to be solved after two changes, I made:
- manual LAN setting, DHCP not automatic, IP etc. defined and dns setting on 8.8.8.8 (Google)
- in router IPv6 disabled.
These two unrelated settings were both needed to get the startup issue right.
I am puzzled why this would work. Till recently there was no startup issue with all settings set standard. Recently the startup issue began without -to my knowledge- any reason. Router had not been updated, its settings were still the same. From a pragmatic point of view I now say: issue is solved. But not knowing why is slightly frustrating.

oldeman

« Reply #5 on: 10:39:28 | 06 August, 2020 »
Startup issue was not solved; it only occurred less frequently. Now I believe it is device related.
A test with my other internet radio (different brand) learned that playing a radio station, and disconnecting the tuner from internet, playing continued for about 7 sec.
With the device, which gave the startup issue, playing immediately stopped after disconnection from internet. Conclusion: the buffering capacity had become near to nil. Apparently a memory issue.
Since our internet is rather stable, a reduced buffering capacity is not noticed (no dropouts during play) but I can imagine that it plays a role during startup.

Dogmatix

« Reply #6 on: 13:01:29 | 06 August, 2020 »
Sorry if this is a silly question, but.... did you try a factory reset?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

oldeman

« Reply #7 on: 03:19:39 | 07 August, 2020 »
I tried a factory reset to no avail.
The tuner still plays fine after 8 yrs of use, but starting up takes some extra time, when it restarts.
I consider it as a minor evil, but maybe it is the beginning of end-of-life.

anything