login

Author Topic: Internet radio in the car  (Read 247 times)

castalla

• Administrator
Internet radio in the car
« on: 23:19:50 | 25 September, 2020 »
Movistar (originally Telefonica) here in Spain offers a plug-in 4G router for car use - it plugs into the car's diagnostic port.  It provides an android/iOs app which let's you monitor journeys/location of the car, etc.

BUT, it also adds 5 wifi access points for use within the car with a monnthly 10 GB data balance.  All this for 3 euros a month. 

Initially, I used this with an old android phone to play internet radio to the car's audio system.  Result, but I find smartphones a pain to use, so I replaced the phone with a portable internet radio.

After many searches, I hit on the Ocean Digital WR-26 - small enough to fit in the car's storrage box between the seats.  Runs on batterry or 5v 1 amp power.   Fiddly to set up, with an old-style LCD monochrome display panel, but easy single button use including  on/off and favourites.  Nice sound from the stereo phono output.

The WR-26 is also an FM and DAB radio - both of which are useless/awful in Spain.  So internet radio it is - BBC, etc. all available from the Skytune (?) aggregator.  Addionally the radio has a built in http server database where you can easily add stream urls.   The WR-26 feels and looks well-made.  Comes with an extensive intelligable manual.

I got the OD from Amazon France for 59 euros.   
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: Internet radio in the car
« Reply #1 on: 04:27:54 | 26 September, 2020 »
Here in the US I use the BBC iPlayer Radio app via Android 'phone and the car's Bluetooth. It's bizarre to be driving on the NJ Turnpike listening to R4 and R5 live.

I use a Samsung S9+, and am usually using Waze at the same time. The last couple of Samsungs I've have have been rock solid, way better than Mrs Hill's fruit based devices...

I understand the app isn't available in Europe or the UK, having been replaced with the rather shakey BBC Sounds app. Why???
Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us

Paul Webster

« Reply #2 on: 05:50:42 | 27 September, 2020 »
I understand the app isn't available in Europe or the UK, having been replaced with the rather shakey BBC Sounds app. Why???

The old BBC iPlayer will be phased out for international listeners over the next few weeks.
There will be soft requests for a while then it will be switched off.
This will coincide with BBC Sounds becoming available on international app stores.

BBC Sounds has improved since the much complained about first releases/updates.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 08:56:04 | 27 September, 2020 »
Movistar (originally Telefonica) here in Spain offers a plug-in 4G router for car use - it plugs into the car's diagnostic port.  It provides an android/iOs app which let's you monitor journeys/location of the car, etc.

BUT, it also adds 5 wifi access points for use within the car with a monnthly 10 GB data balance.  All this for 3 euros a month. 

Initially, I used this with an old android phone to play internet radio to the car's audio system.  Result, but I find smartphones a pain to use, so I replaced the phone with a portable internet radio.

After many searches, I hit on the Ocean Digital WR-26 - small enough to fit in the car's storrage box between the seats.  Runs on batterry or 5v 1 amp power.   Fiddly to set up, with an old-style LCD monochrome display panel, but easy single button use including  on/off and favourites.  Nice sound from the stereo phono output.

The WR-26 is also an FM and DAB radio - both of which are useless/awful in Spain.  So internet radio it is - BBC, etc. all available from the Skytune (?) aggregator.  Addionally the radio has a built in http server database where you can easily add stream urls.   The WR-26 feels and looks well-made.  Comes with an extensive intelligable manual.

I got the OD from Amazon France for 59 euros.

The only equivalent I can find here is this:  https://www.att.com/buy/connected-devices-and-more/harman-harman-spark-black.html?WT.srch=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw8MD7BRArEiwAGZsrBVdmkTbxPhw8prrLQNPxKfk1O3K3MxjKur_17dJQS9Txjj3LGOjLtBoCE8sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Apparently it requires a $30/mo. annual contract with A.T. & T. for data in addition to the cost of the device.  As far as I can tell, the data plan is all-you-can-eat, but if you go over 22 gigabytes, you get throttled. 
Radios:  2 Grace GDI-IRDT200s, Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps