login

Author Topic: Hoping to listen from reciva on my Win10 PC with Firefox  (Read 239 times)

ericf3

Hoping to listen from reciva on my Win10 PC with Firefox
« on: 09:07:29 | 02 October, 2020 »
greetings

my old Vista PC finally balked enough times, so I replaced it. I quite liked listening to various stations* on the old PC but am stymied. I think (??) I need to go to Firefox preferences and set up an application but I have no idea how to proceed beyond that. What file type or application would I get from reciva? (For example, ABC News Radio)

I am not sure this is the place to ask but thought I would start here.

Thanks

EricF
Vancouver BC
ASUS PC

* especially Abacus Comedy which I cannot get on my CCWiFis
Radios in use: 3 CCWiFi

Paul Webster

Re: Hoping to listen from reciva on my Win10 PC with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: 02:57:54 | 03 October, 2020 »
I don't see a "ABC News Radio" when using the search function on reciva.com (including searching for offline stations).

However, some general tips on how to it are in the old wiki
http://www.dabdig.com/reciva-users/websitelistening/
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03:53:25 | 03 October, 2020 »
I don't see a "ABC News Radio" when using the search function on reciva.com (including searching for offline stations).

There is an entry for ABC NEWSRADIO here: https://radios.reciva.com/station/5865

Paul Webster

« Reply #3 on: 06:48:05 | 03 October, 2020 »
Thanks.

"ABC NewsRadio" offers 3 different stream URLs.
The URLs end with .pls or .m3u - so you need to make sure that you have a Windows application associated with them - e.g. Winamp.

They will not work with current Firefox and Chrome (and probably other up-to-date browsers) because of "mixed content" i.e. the Reciva page is served via HTTPS but the audiostream playlist links are HTTP.

In Chrome and MS Edge you can create a site exception by clicking on the padlock for radios.reciva.com and enabling "insecure content".
However, you will probably then find that the .pls or .m3u is downloaded rather than it launching an audio player.
But once downloaded you should be able to click on it to launch the player of your choice (provided it knows how to handle those playlist formats and the resulting audio content).
I just tried via Winamp and it worked.

Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

anything