login

Author Topic: End of an Ear...  (Read 274 times)

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
End of an Ear...
« on: 12:30:11 | 12 November, 2020 »
The Reciva database will soon cease to be.

I'd like to thank those members of this small, but perfectly formed group of internet pioneers who voluntarily maintained this valuable resource.

You really made this little forum what it is today.

Hopefully, some way will be found to keep our radios going, as we slip into valve/tube AM and short wave territory.

Sorry to chuck in an image from another era... Now let's move on...

Alan | That British Bloke Listening in Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Listening to LiquidLounge
Sangean WFR-20 / RCR-8 | Grace IR2600 | Alexa | Google Home
dumnonia.us
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
Re: End of an Ear...
« Reply #1 on: 10:22:32 | 13 November, 2020 »
My thanks to the maintainers, too. Valuable work was done. One point of clarification:

It was my understanding per @Solo2 that Grace was going to keep a copy of the database even after Reciva itself is shut down... although maintenance obviously will end on or before 31 January 2021.
- Rob the Shuttleman
Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R (x2); Sonos system; Roku; Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with radio apps;Amazon Echo devices;Google devices

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 10:54:25 | 13 November, 2020 »
My thanks to the maintainers, too. Valuable work was done. One point of clarification:

It was my understanding per @Solo2 that Grace was going to keep a copy of the database even after Reciva itself is shut down... although maintenance obviously will end on or before 31 January 2021.

The Reciva database will be available at https://myradiosplus.gracedigital.com until May 21 for users of Grace Plus and Elite radios so that these users can add channels to "my streams" if these channels don't already exist in Grace's database.  What happens after May 21 is up to Grace and Qualcomm.  So I am told.
Radios:  2 Grace GDI-IRDT200s, Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #3 on: 12:41:46 | 22 November, 2020 »
So what will i use for my Lenco IR3000 as database ? will there come something in place for Reciva ? or do i need i to place all in: "My Streams" ?
Reciva is such a good database ... and codec supported on my IR3000...
Or would my radio be rendert worthless ?
Thanks,
Eric-Jan van den Bogaard.
(frequent used radio at the moment: Lenco IR3000

Dogmatix

« Reply #4 on: 12:51:43 | 22 November, 2020 »
Or would my radio be rendert worthless ?

I'm afraid that the way things are looking at the moment, this may very well turn out to be the case.

If that puts you in the market for a silver-coloured internet radio tuner, may I suggest the Hama DIT2100MSBT:
https://www.hama.com/00054890/hama-dit2100msbt-hi-fi-hybrid-tuner-dab+-internet-radio-multiroom-app-silver?srcLang=0&targetLang=1
I'm quite happy with mine, and I understand that Solo2 is quite happy with his.
« Last Edit: 12:55:50 | 22 November, 2020 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #5 on: 12:55:49 | 22 November, 2020 »
When it supports also OGG and AAC that would be okay then, because the Lenco IR3000 does.
Otherwise it is no replacement, which database will it use ?
« Last Edit: 13:02:05 | 22 November, 2020 by Spirado »
Thanks,

Dogmatix

« Reply #6 on: 13:02:44 | 22 November, 2020 »
When it supports also OGG and AAC that would be okay then, because the Lenco IR3000 does.

It uses the Frontier Nuvola portal, which uses the Airable database.

The supported formats according to the instructions are:
IR: MP3, WMA, ADTS, MPEG-DASH
UPNP : MP3, WMA, v9/ASF, M4A, ADTS, WAV, LPCM, FLAC, ALAC
DAB: MP2, AAC
USB: MP3, WMA, M4A, ADTS, FLAC, WAV

but it definitely also plays AAC internet radio stations. I don't know about OGG; do you know of any streams that use it, or is it for local media?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #7 on: 13:05:49 | 22 November, 2020 »
Reciva supports the OGG stream still, but WUVT also has a AAC stream i know... so maybe that should work, could not find AAC in de Manualslib manual...
I guess OGG is a very rare/odd codec for streaming stations ....
The DIT2100MSBT looks very tempting :) also on Amazon.nl i discovered...
Thanks,

Dogmatix

« Reply #8 on: 13:09:38 | 22 November, 2020 »

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #9 on: 13:20:40 | 22 November, 2020 »
If that puts you in the market for a silver-coloured internet radio tuner, may I suggest the Hama DIT2100MSBT:
https://www.hama.com/00054890/hama-dit2100msbt-hi-fi-hybrid-tuner-dab+-internet-radio-multiroom-app-silver?srcLang=0&targetLang=1
I'm quite happy with mine, and I understand that Solo2 is quite happy with his.

Yes, I agree that the Hama tuner is a quality product.  I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk when I got wind of the report that my Grace Digital tuner was soon to be no more.  The Hama tuner has a better quality display than the Grace and as Reciva has not updated their firmware in several years, the Hama tuner has more sophisticated features (support for https being the foremost).  I agree with Dogmatix and would recommend it to someone who wants a rack-mountable tuner.  I plan on trying the Grace Digital Link tuner as well when it becomes available.
Radios:  2 Grace GDI-IRDT200s, Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #10 on: 13:47:03 | 22 November, 2020 »
Okay, thankyou Dogmatix, i'll keep it in the English language for now, for Solo2, i just read the Dutch version of the manual, and it seems also to have 20/30 presets locally on the radio itself on top of the Frontier database,(registered account) i already have an account there for other radios, frontier does have the AAC stream(s) of WUVT on the radios i have, frontier  supports the AAC codec, i had WUVT for some time when they had the stream in OGG, on a Sangean radio i have but since the switch to AAC both cant play WUVT anymore i hope the DIT2100MSBT can for that case.... maybe you can check WUVT for me on your DIT2100MSBT Dogmatix ?
Reciva kept the OGG stream which my IR3000 supports, i will compair both datbases i hope frontier supports most of the Reciva database, MediaU has also a good selection for my Denver IR130 here...
edit> What i now see, is, that i can manualy add WUVT on the Argon internet Tuner that is on the Frontier database provider, The WUVT that is in the database is not supported according the webpage with the the radios listed i have there..... how complicated can it get ? i can't understand this anymore :)
« Last Edit: 14:46:49 | 22 November, 2020 by Spirado »
Thanks,

Dogmatix

« Reply #11 on: 00:41:54 | 23 November, 2020 »
maybe you can check WUVT for me on your DIT2100MSBT Dogmatix ?

This station is listed as "WUVT-FM 90.7 Blacksburg" and plays on my DIT2100MSBT at 320kbps AAC.
« Last Edit: 07:26:34 | 23 November, 2020 by Dogmatix »

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #12 on: 01:48:51 | 24 November, 2020 »
Thankyou !
Thanks,

handleyman

« Reply #13 on: Today at 00:29:58 »
About 11 or 12 years ago, my son used a simple internet resource to cause a Roberts (Reciva-based) IR (via its ethernet connecton) to use a local database/webpage instead of calling Reciva's. Neither he nor I can remember how it was done. Does anyone here know?

anything