Author Topic: Different Frontier devices give me different podcast options?  (Read 409 times)

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
Different Frontier devices give me different podcast options?
« on: 02:04:08 | 15 December, 2020 »
I have three Frontier Nuvola devices....

Revo PiXis RX
Soundmaster IR3000DAB
Monitor Audio AirStream 10

I only just noticed that they don't all offer the same Podcast choice on BBC Radio 3.
I wanted the podcast of Choral Evensong from Durham Cathedral but only the PixiS listed it.
The Soundmaster and Airstream give a different podcast list from the PiXiS.

All three report that they are on the most recent available firmware, and I notice that the FW numbers are different on the Pixix and the Soundmaster (I haven't checked the Airstream).

Is the firmware likely to be the cause?
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

Dogmatix

Re: Different Frontier devices give me different podcast options?
« Reply #1 on: 05:10:05 | 15 December, 2020 »
Strange.

Do all the FW numbers start with "ir-mmi-FS2026-0500" ? This sequence defines the Frontier module, in this case, the Venice 6.5. The next group of four digits appears to define the radio model (like the Reciva "hardware ID"). The bit after that, stating with "V", is the FW level. Recent radios have at least 2.11.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

anotherbob

« Reply #2 on: 05:59:40 | 15 December, 2020 »
Strange.

Do all the FW numbers start with "ir-mmi-FS2026-0500" ?
They do.
The PiXiS FW is
ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0162_V2.11.15c.EX68900-2RC7
The Soundmaster is
ir-mmi-FS2026-0500-0058_V2.9.10c.EX63922-1RC14

Edit.
I don't know if it's relevant but I bought the Soundmaster from Germany.
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 07:31:14 | 15 December, 2020 »
Well, one possible theory could go along the lines of the PiXiS, having a more up-to-date V2.11 firmware, can play stream formats which the Soundmaster, having an older V2.9 formware, cannot - for example, DASH or HLS or a new flavour of AAC.

Now, all we need is the FW of the third radio to uphold or disprove the theory....
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2),  Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2010, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520, Sangean WFR-29C.

anotherbob

« Reply #4 on: 08:17:45 | 15 December, 2020 »
Well, one possible theory could go along the lines of the PiXiS, having a more up-to-date V2.11 firmware, can play stream formats which the Soundmaster, having an older V2.9 formware, cannot - for example, DASH or HLS or a new flavour of AAC.

Now, all we need is the FW of the third radio to uphold or disprove the theory....

Your wish is my command...
The Airstream FW number is as follows,
ir-mmi-europe.monitor_audio.ven6.airstream10_V091023_10

Pick the bones out of that!

I wondered if the end of the iPlayer and the coming of the Sounds app. might in some way be involved. So many IR problems over the years have been courtesy of the Corporation.
ANOTHERBOB  

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 08:31:10 | 15 December, 2020 »
The airstream is at least 10 years old. The FW numbers appears to show a Venice 6 module, rather than Venice 6.5. I have an old Sanyo internet radio fitted mini-hifi which has a Frontier Venice 6.2 module, and it cannot cope with the BBC DASH streams, so when and if Aunty finally cut the MP3 streams it will become useless for BBC listening.

So out of your three Frontier radios, only the most recent one lists the BBC podcasts you are looking for.

BBC certainly have been mucking us about with different stream formats, and different bitrates available domestically and internationally.

anotherbob

« Reply #6 on: 08:54:37 | 15 December, 2020 »
I'm puzzled that the two radios with the outdated FW do show a list of podcasts from Radio 3, though not the one I want. Do the BBC use different types of stream for different podcasts?
ANOTHERBOB  

Dogmatix

« Reply #7 on: 12:07:55 | 15 December, 2020 »
They must do. Why? To confuse us. I can think of no other reason.

anotherbob

« Reply #8 on: 04:18:59 | 16 December, 2020 »
I got the following from Frontier...

Hi,

Each radio can have different playback capabilities.  One of radios may have a cached list of episodes.
There are currently two shows active.

I'd be interested to know why the Soundmaster, with the Venice 6.5 module, cannot be updated to the more recent software.
Is it likely to be a technical or commercial decision?
ANOTHERBOB  

Dogmatix

« Reply #9 on: 05:14:27 | 16 December, 2020 »
I'd be interested to know why the Soundmaster, with the Venice 6.5 module, cannot be updated to the more recent software.
Is it likely to be a technical or commercial decision?

There could be technical reasons, such as the processor used ot the amount of memory available, or the design of the motherboard. But I also suspect commercial reasons to do with the contract between Soundmaster, or who ever actually makes the radios Soundmaster badges and sells, and Frontier. Some brands will declare a product "life-expired" after only a few years and not invest in further updates to it. They'd rather users buy new models - preferably from them. They may cite "technical reasons", but most likely mean commercial ones.

anything