login

Author Topic: BBC ICECast changes  (Read 179 times)

dif

BBC ICECast changes
« on: 04:57:51 | 14 February, 2021 »
I've found that the BBC service on several of their radio stations has changed and is now horribly distorted. It shows "ICEcast stream" under the station name which it didn't used to. They have a blog page about these changes, but I have no idea if anyone there is listening to the comments with people saying their radios have stopped working.

Has anyone else had this problem? It also talks about moving the streams to secure connections which would likely stop the Reciva radios from connecting to them. The blog link is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/481e7233-0aea-4b15-8ace-878ce549108c
Radios: Acoustic Energy AE17 & Logik IR100

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: BBC ICECast changes
« Reply #1 on: 06:31:14 | 14 February, 2021 »
Basically, the BBC is determined that its material is accessible only through its Sounds and iPlayer platforms... I'm assuming we're at the limiting expectations phase.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 07:12:56 | 14 February, 2021 »
Have they mentioned anywhere getting rid of their HLS streams?
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

dif

« Reply #3 on: 11:46:14 | 21 February, 2021 »
It took me a few days but my radios are now working even with these new ICEcast streams.

I found you can install the Icecast server https://icecast.org on a local computer and ask it to act as a relay between the radio and the real server. The stream that comes out still shows ICEcast but now plays perfectly. Possibly this has something to do with the ICEcast protocol sending metadata (e.g. track names) combined with the MP3 data. This is reported to cause playback glitches on players that don't understand the inserted extra data - information here: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-a-shoutcast-server.html. One of the relay settings is to remove this metadata from the stream.

Here's an example of how to set this up:

It's working for the Logik IR100, and the ancient Acoustic Energy AE17. One thing I did find, but not related to the above, the AE17 gets very confused by the presets all being given the same stationID number by the Sharpfin preset editing page. I had to change the number so it's different on each preset.

Photo attached of the configuration.

« Last Edit: 11:55:53 | 21 February, 2021 by dif »
Radios: Acoustic Energy AE17 & Logik IR100