login

Author Topic: Here we are... So, hello again!  (Read 13103 times)

Ben H

Re: Here we are... So, hello again!
« Reply #15 on: 08:15:56 | 05 April, 2011 »
Ben H here, dropping in to meet & greet!

Thanks, Alan, for the new home. Roomy here - space to swing a cat here, and good décor... I'm moving in! I've brought cheap wine and Special Brew, just to lower the tone...

I was no longer a regular poster at the old Reciva site, and my work has moved from Cambridge, so I don't drive past the old HQ like I used to. They always did rattle around in there - vast floor, mainly empty, with a few partitions to make it seem more... occupied. Looked like an embarrassed 11 year-old schoolboy in a new vast uniform, with mother saying "you'll grow into it" as she drops him off at the school gate to peals of laughter from his friends... Well, they didn't grow into their big, shiny, new office, and it remains to be seen if they survive for long.

I did spend quite a bit of time hacking the older firmware back when I still had time, hair - and coffee aplenty, but haven't done so much recently. Of course, when Reciva's database just closes, we can all just hack our radios to access the new database that Alan is just dying to set up and host... That is right, isn't it? Well done! Thanks for "volunteering" again... I'll post the web address a couple of hours before you set it up  ;)

Anyway, here's to a new Forum. Bottoms up, and prepare to be spanked!
Radios: Reciva - Logik IR100, dnt IPdio Tune, Tevion: SkyTC - Disgo & Xenta: vTuner - Freeview MusicPal & Pioneer VSX-923: Frontier - Clarus MusicBox, Oxx Classic V, Sandstrøm SDABXIR13:  Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Radio: Roku

BlueEchoes

« Reply #16 on: 09:17:13 | 05 April, 2011 »
WOW, went to add a station today and found out the death of the forum and thankfully found this place. Been using my radio for 5 or 6 years and got a bunch of people to buy them as well. Hope Sangean still supports them or my friends are gonna hate me!

Thanks Alan for this place. Was not a big poster at the old place but still checked in often to learn more and find more cool stations and the likes.

MAHALO!

TedM

• Ted Marcus' Virtual Light Table
« Reply #17 on: 21:01:26 | 05 April, 2011 »
Where have all the USA users gone?   

I'm actually starting to miss all those "KCXM keeps connecting ..." posts!

I'm a USA user. But I have never even heard of KCXM.

I guess Reciva decided they could do better without customers, so they closed the forums and dumped the Barracuda and Stingray modules. Unusual business model, to say the least.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #18 on: 04:33:48 | 06 April, 2011 »
Oh, we yanks are still here, thanks for asking.  And we won't complain about not being able to connect to KQCK if you limeys don't fret about getting jitters on the beeb.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Frank

« Reply #19 on: 00:46:39 | 07 April, 2011 »
There's nowt wrong with the Daily mail

That's the funniest thing I've ever read!

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #20 on: 03:17:16 | 07 April, 2011 »
I liked this thread when it was considering me for sainthood, but it's now heading towards Hyde Park Corner.
« Last Edit: 03:19:54 | 07 April, 2011 by alanehill »
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

Crystalset

« Reply #21 on: 07:54:29 | 07 April, 2011 »
I liked this thread when it was considering me for sainthood, but it's now heading towards Hyde Park Corner.

This is a but post.
I don't wish to be etc.but HPC is a giant traffic island. About 0.75 mile to the north is Speakers Corner, where every & anything
is discussed.
Lord Donald Soper, a regular speaker, was saintly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Soper

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #22 on: 07:59:40 | 07 April, 2011 »
I stand corrected ...
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average

starramus

« Reply #23 on: 15:42:07 | 07 April, 2011 »
I'm assuming we'll not be the victims of poor behaviour ...

::)

PS: There are some pretty amazing vehicle registrations here ... almost anything goes ... but my favourite goes to a bumper sticker I saw on a massive pickup truck - Americans are addicted to these to carry their chicken buckets, fries and soda - which went:

"I only slow down to reload"

In the UK I'd just laugh at this ironic slogan ... here I don't know ...

Best to be wary. The barbarian hordes of the west are goose stepping all over the planet.

The most vulgar vehicle ornament I have seen is the humongous bull scrotums with bulging testicles they have hanging from the rear ends of their Silverados, Rams, and F-350s. I should get a tiny pink pair for my Toyota Prius. Thanks to Mr. Toyoda for getting it out of there before the quake. My Prius is actually appreciating because of the shortage.

Regards and good listening,

starramus

Yes unfortunately I made the trip!
« Last Edit: 15:46:52 | 07 April, 2011 by starramus »

starramus

« Reply #24 on: 16:07:18 | 07 April, 2011 »
I just discovered today that the Reciva forum had been condemned. It certainly makes one question the stability and longevity of Reciva. I had better get some Logitech products for backup, or at least an FM transmitter for my PC.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #25 on: 16:16:36 | 07 April, 2011 »
... or you could do this ...

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #26 on: 19:04:15 | 07 April, 2011 »
I actually run two d-link NAS in raid-1. These devices can be hacked - see this ....

Even without hacking they can run bittorrent (whatever that is ... ) and no-ip, ftp, media server, etc ...

As for hearing the difference between a .mp3 and a lossless audio file through a modest, but competent audio system ... I think you could tell ...

Sinaisid

« Reply #27 on: 00:04:44 | 10 April, 2011 »
Hi All

Sad to see the forums go down - I cannot say I posted much, but it was good to know there was a place to head to for support if required. As has been said many time the signs were there so I guess this is the new place to keep my well used "legacy" products running for as long as possible!!

Thanks to the forum admins for setting this site up.  ;D
« Last Edit: 00:08:54 | 10 April, 2011 by Sinaisid »

starramus

« Reply #28 on: 09:10:14 | 10 April, 2011 »
The shut down of the forum was to say the least more than abrupt. I have been pondering the possibility that maybe there is an even more ominous announcement in the offing. Without the forum we do not have any recourse to bitch!

billpa

« Reply #29 on: 07:38:16 | 11 April, 2011 »
Hello, checking in from Pennsylvania.  I have a CC wifi radio and love it.  I don't really have a major complaint because I didn't really use the old forum that much but I certainly understand the anger from those who did.  Here's hoping our radios keep working the way they were meant to for a long time to come!  :)

Bill