login

Author Topic: Here we are... So, hello again!  (Read 13103 times)

Achernar

Here we are... So, hello again!
« on: 23:30:27 | 30 March, 2011 »
"We'll have to go on travelling around the world (wide web), on a conspirative mission, to fight some evident lack of engagement and communication..."
(Captain Quirk, close of the log of the Recivaship, local date permanently reset to 1970.1.1.00:00)

-------------------------------

I'm in Reciva internet radios since late September 2010. Somewhat too late, evidently, but finding the AVOX Indio Petite with a tolerable price tag and a pleasantly contrasting absence of a contemporary, so called 'design'. Nevertheless, it also seemed very suitable to rehouse it. After all, the timing and the radio proved suitable to do some rapid testing and speedy experiments - to know, what an internet 'reciva' could (should) have been...

Two years before I stumbled upon ODYS, selling a Penbex IR that caused me to (virtually) design my own (outstanding ;)) radio. But I never did realise it, as that time there has been insufficient information how to get into the Penbexes and I'm not a gifted hacker or Linux expert. So my hope turned towards - and now again fades away with - Reciva...

I'm afraid I have to return to the initial idea of using a netbook or a nettop as an universal streaming device (and IR), with an eBook reader (including WLAN and a browser) as a full remote. So the energy consuming, anyway mostly immobile and constantly advancing part of streaming would be hidden behind the scenes (stereo) and the reader with it's e-paper should allow for very long operating periods without the need of recharging.

BTW: My electronics background is the long-standing interest in valve (tube) circuitry: Real radios glow in the dark! My first sufficiently working homebrew wireless set has been a valve regenerative receiver, not a crystal set or a 'transistor'. But my first superhet, I have to admit, has been a MW 5 transistor. But then the home computers and the 'digitalitis' took over...

Maybe, the age of a simple, self contained Internet Radio has gone by before it really has started - and before I've started to build my version of it in reality...

« Last Edit: 23:36:40 | 30 March, 2011 by Achernar »

stevec5000

Re: Here we are... So, hello again!
« Reply #1 on: 08:50:29 | 31 March, 2011 »
Everyone is a Newbie again!  LOL

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #2 on: 08:51:26 | 31 March, 2011 »
We're all equal here ... but some are more equal than others ;-)
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

Bogget

« Reply #3 on: 10:58:54 | 31 March, 2011 »
Hi everyone , well im pleased to be here, i read more than i post but i am a broadcaster have been for 6 years, and an electronics engineer have been for £$^%$% years i probably have the oldest working Reciva Radio the "Stratus" yes actually sold by Reciva. any way hello to everyone.
Anyway i still like Reciva and i unfortunately its not unusual for manufacturers to not support end users, but dont worry we have a good crowd of very knowledgeable and competent users here, we will be OK.

Bogget ;)

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 15:18:15 | 31 March, 2011 »
Where have all the USA users gone?   

I'm actually starting to miss all those "KCXM keeps connecting ..." posts!
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 16:51:09 | 31 March, 2011 »
Well, two clicks and they can arrive here via the wiki ... maybe that's too challenging?
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #6 on: 23:13:49 | 31 March, 2011 »
Can't get used to this site not returning to the thread after you post.

There's a setting for that: Profile > Look and Layout Preferences > Return to topics after posting by default.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 03:44:14 | 01 April, 2011 »
If you dig deep I've left a lot of settings available to the individual member. Please feel free to use them.

This ain't forum.reciva.com.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #8 on: 04:12:42 | 01 April, 2011 »
I'm assuming we'll not be the victims of poor behaviour ...

::)

PS: There are some pretty amazing vehicle registrations here ... almost anything goes ... but my favourite goes to a bumper sticker I saw on a massive pickup truck - Americans are addicted to these to carry their chicken buckets, fries and soda - which went:

"I only slow down to reload"

In the UK I'd just laugh at this ironic slogan ... here I don't know ...
« Last Edit: 04:19:28 | 01 April, 2011 by alanehill »

bullarded

« Reply #9 on: 08:25:35 | 01 April, 2011 »
Well here's one US user.  Have my third CC Wifi radio and the Reciva site isn't recognizing its Registration code, so I went to their forum page I had from before and found this after not much work at all.

I'm pretty sure C Crane will be interested in my registration issue when I get them on the phone later today.

Anyway thanks to all for setting this up.  Personally, I started with Internet Radio with Roku, so I really am not interested in a Recivaship.  From this side of the pond, Reciva sort of acts sort of like we Americansthink British companies act, if you know what I mean.

Meanwhile, we've our college basketball games over the week-end and next Monday, so many radio listeners will be likely firing up their "tellies."

Best from our side..

edb

dmorhands

« Reply #10 on: 12:07:34 | 01 April, 2011 »
Personally, I started with Internet Radio with Roku, so I really am not interested in a Recivaship.  From this side of the pond, Reciva sort of acts sort of like we Americansthink British companies act, if you know what I mean.

No offence intended and quite OT, but Roku is a prime example of an American company acting like we Europeans think American companies act.

dmorhands

stevec5000

« Reply #11 on: 16:21:59 | 01 April, 2011 »
PS: There are some pretty amazing vehicle registrations here ... almost anything goes ... but my favourite goes to a bumper sticker I saw on a massive pickup truck - Americans are addicted to these to carry their chicken buckets, fries and soda - which went:

"I only slow down to reload"

In the UK I'd just laugh at this ironic slogan ... here I don't know ...
That slogan really is appropriate here in Arizona. Have you heard about the big machine gun rally that's one of the highlights of the year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agR82hiDx9Q

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #12 on: 03:53:07 | 02 April, 2011 »
Okay ... sorry I mentioned it ... so if we're not saying "Hello again," move this discussion to Hyde Park ;-)

PS: Just wanted to say though, that sort of bumper sticker, and a lot of other things, scares a lot of Americans too. I didn't think it was insulting to Americans in general ... heck ... a lot of Brits read the Daily Mail, fer'g'ness sake ;-)

We say about the USA and the UK, "Two nations separated by a common language ...". It's a family thing ...
« Last Edit: 04:29:57 | 02 April, 2011 by alanehill »

bullarded

« Reply #13 on: 06:21:14 | 02 April, 2011 »
Absolutely concur.  But they did at least get me excited about Internet Radio!

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #14 on: 07:24:11 | 02 April, 2011 »
I was just demonstrating my own prejudice ...