login

Author Topic: Hello from Co. Kildare, Ireland  (Read 3600 times)

macplaxton

Hello from Co. Kildare, Ireland
« on: 13:31:47 | 23 February, 2015 »
Hi all,

Just registered to dig out information on keeping my old Aldi Tevion 5404 going in the shed. I recently updated the presets to deal with the BBC changes (for the moment).

I bought it back when I first arrived (2007) on the Emerald Isle for 70 yoyos. It spared me from having to listen to the local stations... Since then during one of my more flush periods, I bought a Roberts Revival iStream which performs well in its duties (FM / Internet / USB / server streaming) in the living room. At my main computer (dining room/kitchen), I use Radio Tray for internet radio listening.

I don't listen to much radio on the move,  preferring to listen to podcasts. I use Podax on my Android phone for podcatching and cable/FM transmitter/Bluetooth for in-vehicle listening depending on what I'm driving that day. If the backlog of pods gets to big, I sometimes feed it over the home network to the Roberts - using BubbleuPnP - or plug it into an old ghetto blaster in the kitchen.

Not averse to digging a soldering iron out or a simple bit of programming, I hope to get a bit of extra life out the "old dog" Tevion in the man-cave.
Tevion 5404 & Roberts Revival iStream

shuttleman58

• Technology Trends Columnist - CQ Magazine
  • The future of communications
Re: Hello from Co. Kildare, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 17:12:10 | 23 February, 2015 »
Welcome. You'll find a great community of helpful people here. Always glad to have another internet radio fan here.
- Rob the Shuttleman
Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000R (x2); Sonos system; Roku; Grace and Reciva Android apps; Yamaha RX-V473 (vTuner); Logitech UE Smart Radio; Android phone with radio apps;Amazon Echo devices;Google devices

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #2 on: 01:47:57 | 24 February, 2015 »
Welcome to the forum.
Right now we're all waiting to see which of our radios will be able to handle the new BBC streams once the final change-over is made.
The general consensus is, the older the radio. the less probable it is that the firm and hardware will be able to handle the new format.
Perhaps more troubling is the possibility that Reciva might abandon internet radio altogether, so let's enjoy it while we can.
Do you have any specific problem with your Tevion that needs addressing?

macplaxton

« Reply #3 on: 07:05:11 | 25 February, 2015 »
Thank you for the warm welcome.

There isn't a specific problem yet with the unit. I've just reset all the presets to the MP3 streams.

It would be handy to get it to do "a bit more", for example:

Stream music to it from a local source (main PC or Android smartphone).
Use a Android handset in some way as a Wi-Fi remote.

Another thing I'd like to do with my internet radios is set up each one to be able to call up individual stream links through a proxy, rather than redirect all traffic. For example, if I just use a direct link to BBC Radio 5 Live, I have to use the MP3 one which is the international version (with blackouts for various sports events). The aim would be to be access both the MP3 and the HLS streams (as two separate presets), but with the HLS version being directed via a UK proxy server. I could probably get the PC to do it when I sort out the glitches in streaming, but for the standalone devices I'm not so sure.

I know the Tevion has its limitations, but I wouldn't mind doing some workarounds/modding to squeeze a bit more life out of it. I hate skipping stuff just because it is prematurely obsolete!

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07:53:14 | 25 February, 2015 »
Thank you for the warm welcome.

There isn't a specific problem yet with the unit. I've just reset all the presets to the MP3 streams.

It would be handy to get it to do "a bit more", for example:

Stream music to it from a local source (main PC or Android smartphone).
Use a Android handset in some way as a Wi-Fi remote.

Another thing I'd like to do with my internet radios is set up each one to be able to call up individual stream links through a proxy, rather than redirect all traffic. For example, if I just use a direct link to BBC Radio 5 Live, I have to use the MP3 one which is the international version (with blackouts for various sports events). The aim would be to be access both the MP3 and the HLS streams (as two separate presets), but with the HLS version being directed via a UK proxy server. I could probably get the PC to do it when I sort out the glitches in streaming, but for the standalone devices I'm not so sure.

I know the Tevion has its limitations, but I wouldn't mind doing some workarounds/modding to squeeze a bit more life out of it. I hate skipping stuff just because it is prematurely obsolete!

Reciva radios can't play HLS - so redirecting the stream via uk route is not going to work.

The only chance is to use minimstreamer and a smart dns -but again only a few recivas seem to be able to work in conjunction with minimstreamer.  Your Tevion is probably too old in the tooth.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME
The following users thanked this post: macplaxton

macplaxton

« Reply #5 on: 09:09:38 | 25 February, 2015 »
Reciva radios can't play HLS - so redirecting the stream via uk route is not going to work.

I'm aware of that limitation, I was more thinking the other internet radios, particularly the main desktop one and redistributing it from that. The proxy plan is mainly to get hold of either the higher bitrate streams / sports commentaries on 5 Live & R Scotland. It's annoying (however right) to be IP blocked from UK-only streams when I can turn the telly on and fire up the satellite box for unrestricted access.

At the moment, I've not got Radio Tray / gstreamer to behave properly with BBC HLS streams - tested with the 96k BBC 6 Music stream. VLC on the other hand works ok and has a proxy setting - tested with 320k BBC 6 Music and 320k BBC R2.

Push come to shove (end of BBC MP3 streams) and the Reciva board will be removed from the box and something else plumbed in its place.

macplaxton

« Reply #6 on: 15:43:56 | 25 February, 2015 »
The only chance is to use minimstreamer and a smart dns -but again only a few recivas seem to be able to work in conjunction with minimstreamer.  Your Tevion is probably too old in the tooth.

Good advice there and thanks for the pointers. I'm pleased to report that there is life in the old dog yet!

Installed MinimServer 0.8.3 update 59 on my main PC, along with MinimStreamer 0.5.4 package. Configured it by editing three entries in the sample BBC stream links file (for non-uk testing purposes). 96k HLS streams of R3 / R4 / R6. Then went to Reciva to add the custom links to "My Stuff"/"My Streams". No joy initially, but then got MinimStreamer to transcode the incoming HLS stream with the stream:transcode option of *:L16. Bingo!

Now off to find a working UK proxy and test some 320k UK content streams...

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 16:06:36 | 25 February, 2015 »
Thanks for that post!   Maybe you could outline what settings you have in Minimserver, and confirm what urls you used in My Streams.  There's a specific Minimserver thread on the forum.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

macplaxton

« Reply #8 on: 17:52:24 | 25 February, 2015 »
I will do that later*

I want to do some further testing first and see if I can get it going in the shed. It's slightly complicated by the fact that I have a Wi-Fi repeater in there as the Tevion needs such a strong signal which even my household dual-band router cannot deliver.

*later can mean very soon (hours), or after some considerable period of time (years  ;D ), but it will be done eventually.

anything