Author Topic: So glad to have found you!  (Read 2879 times)

unclenigel

So glad to have found you!
« on: 13:07:56 | 19 November, 2015 »
Hi,

I'm so relieved to find this site - I thought I was on my own and it's great to be in contact with other Reciva users.

I've got five Logik radios, two IRMA1s and three IR100s.  I've always tried to have the beta (now apparently called "legacy enhanced") firmware on all of them as it represents such an improvement on the earlier versions. 

However, recently in ignorance, I tried to download an apparent upgrade on one of my IR100s.  Not being in the know, I thought this might be a new improvement but it turned out to be a downgrade to an earlier inferior firmware! 

Since then, I acquired an old IRMA1 which didn't appear to have been used before and was running a really ancient firmware.  I looked for an upgrade therefore and downloaded an improved version but it still doesn't compare with the beta version. 

So now I've got two radios which I want to upgrade.  Unfortunately the Reciva website no longer seems to accept instructions to install legacy enhanced firmware and just says there is a problem which they are aware of.  That's been the case for some weeks. 

Somewhere I read that an email to info@reciva.com might obtain a response so I've sent one off tonight.  But having read a lot of the posts on this forum I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm wasting my time, or any other way I might get the firmware I desire. 

Sorry to make my first post a cry for help but that's how I found this site in the first place so I'm desperate to get this off my chest.  Oh and if my question is already answered somewhere on this forum I do apologise but I haven't managed to find it yet.

Thanks for reading and I do look forward to any helpful advice. 

unclenigel

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Re: So glad to have found you!
« Reply #1 on: 23:15:25 | 19 November, 2015 »
Hello, and welcome!

Somewhere I read that an email to info@reciva.com might obtain a response so I've sent one off tonight.  But having read a lot of the posts on this forum I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm wasting my time
Reciva have been known to oblige for individual users, but you may need to wait a few days for an answer. You need to give them the serial numbers (under 'Settings') of the radio(s).

...or any other way I might get the firmware I desire.
There is; it's called Sharpfin but it's tricky and requires some computer expertise, not to mention patience and understanding. It also helps if you speak a bit of Linux. I have not used Sharpfin to replace the firmware for years (the 'ask Reciva' method is so much easier) so I'm very rusty, but there are helpful hints in other parts of this forum, and some active Sharfinners around.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

unclenigel

« Reply #2 on: 07:13:56 | 20 November, 2015 »
Hello Dogmatix and thank you so much for your reassuring reply. 

You've given me at least the hope that I might get a response from Reciva so I'll wait and see.  I'll let you know what happens.

I did Sharpfin an IRMA1 some years ago.  It was quite a feat for me but I did enjoy the experience.  Since the beta software became available though I've never tried it again.  However, I thought from reading other posts that it no longer worked.  Something to do with the necessary files no longer being available.  (!!!???).  If the instructions are still available on this site and it will work I certainly don't mind having a go. 

Meanwhile though, I'll wait to see what I get from Reciva.  Thank you so much for your help and very best regards.

Unclenigel

drgeoff

« Reply #3 on: 14:13:17 | 20 November, 2015 »
Sharpfin files are on sharpfin.org and also duplicated on this site. http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2117.0

unclenigel

« Reply #4 on: 07:02:07 | 21 November, 2015 »
Thank you drgeoff for your reply.  I'm amazed - didn't know all this stuff was still up to date and working.  Well, I haven't tried it yet but looks like a fun job for a rainy afternoon!  Certainly more fun that sitting here waiting for Reciva to reply to my email!

Thanks once again, and when I get the time to try it, I'll let you know if I succeed. 

Best regards,

unclenigel

unclenigel

« Reply #5 on: 12:51:20 | 08 December, 2015 »
Hey - great news!  Reciva replied and enabled the legacy enhanced firmware for both the radios I requested it for and it's all working brilliantly. 

I'd actually got as far as loading the patch, thinking I would need to Sharpfin them which took a long time and involved a lot of trial and error before I got it and I needed to use the advice I picked up from this site.  To be honest, I can't even remember exactly what I had to do - it was something to do with using notepad to load two url's at the same time but don't assume that's what it was - I just know eventually it worked!!  However, having loaded the patch I just couldn't get any further as I just couldn't get it to display the files to amend them.  Never mind though - I'm not even going to bother any more as the new firmware is just what I wanted. 
So, a very satisfactory outcome and I say again - I am very greatful for the help and encouragement I received from this site. 
Best regards to everyone.
unclenigel

Crystalset

« Reply #6 on: 15:59:00 | 08 December, 2015 »
Good to read that Reciva was helpful. Now they all they have to do is supply an upgrade to allow reception of daesh or dash or whatever the BBC call their latest gimmick.

EastEriq

« Reply #7 on: 01:31:04 | 09 December, 2015 »
Having upgraded to the beta firmware, can any of you list what is actually better in it? I'm wondering whether I'll want to go that way too, and potentially have to redo my sharpfin tweaks. With my current firmware and use pattern I'm not plagued by any obnoxious bug, it's just that navigating the cramped menus is a bit unhandy, but I don't really expect that to change. The radio hardware will stay the same and it can only do what it can.