Author Topic: All The Best From Music City, USA!  (Read 2072 times)

everylight

All The Best From Music City, USA!
« on: 14:08:55 | 31 January, 2016 »
Hello to everyone and many thanks for allowing me into your hallowed halls of wisdom & experience!

I guess you'd call me the ultimate newbie- I just ordered my very first internet radio and I'm eagerly anticipating its delivery on Tuesday (2 Feb 16). So I don't even really "own" one yet, but here I am creating an account in anticipation of all the guidance I am sure to need in the coming weeks & months! The truth is I've been here many times in the last few months finding answers to some very basic questions as I pondered which radio would be a good first purchase. After months of watching, pondering and debating, today I finally hit the "BUY" button on a cart of stuff I assembled weeks ago-- but just kept telling myself I'd think about it a little longer... Actually, I find myself relieved now that I've committed to the purchase-- and wish I'd just gone ahead and done it a month ago!

What did I decide on, you ask? I really wanted the Grace Encore in that walnut cabinet, but all the reviews- right up to the most recent ones- complaining about the random restarts and other assorted issues just had me too nervous. I didn't want to risk ending up with my first radio being a "lemon." So instead I went with the Grace Mondo GDI-IRC6000 (Black). To go with it, I got a nice little Bluetooth 20w speaker box to give me the better/bigger sound that drew me to the Encore originally. I also decided to go ahead and get the Ethernet dongle from the start. My WiFi is solid, but there's already an ethernet drop right behind the desk where the radio will sit- so that will eliminate any WiFi connection or bandwidth issues up front.

So that's my "starter" system and I hope I'll still feel it was the right decision a month or two from now! Reguardless, I needed to pick something and get started. I'm an old HAM (KE4MKH) with a storage unit full of SW gear and no place to hang my antenna! Haven't had a rig hooked up in years and I need something to fill that void but take up a lot less space. I'm thinking this will do just that!

All the best to everyone from here in Music City, USA where it's a very pleasent 74 (F) degrees on this final day of January!

joe in nashville

Baldman

Re: All The Best From Music City, USA!
« Reply #1 on: 10:22:15 | 01 February, 2016 »
Welcome Joe. I hope you enjoy your Mondo but I wish you had gone with your first choice the Encore. I've had mine for over two and a half years and haven't had any problems. That being said you'll have fun with all the radio stations to listen to. If you have any problems someone here will be happy to help.
Grace Encore and Bravada

everylight

« Reply #2 on: 17:11:57 | 02 February, 2016 »
Thanks for the reply!

2+ years of trouble free Encore use? That's good to hear. It was a tough decision- or, at least, a long & drawn out one! In fairness, there was one other factor that influenced my choice: price. When I originally made up my mind to get a radio, the Encore was $179 but by the time I was ready, it was $219 and now it's $249 for the Walnut case. The black version was a little less, but not much. Suddenly, the Mondo seemed much more attractive!

As I write, the box containing the Mondo is just across the room- unopened and subtly demanding attention! It was waiting on the porch when I got home this evening. I just need to finish a few chores before I "tear into it" since there will be little hope in getting anything else done tonight once I open that box!

joe

everylight

« Reply #3 on: 22:26:40 | 04 February, 2016 »
Just to share (i.e., vent) my frustration...

Frustration #1: I was fumbling through my desk drawer to find the box cutter so I could finally open the box with my newly arrived radio when the telephone rang. A small crisis had sprung up at work (I'm an IT Engineer/Admin) that needed some immediate attention. Tried to take care of it from home via a VPN connection- no joy. Fast forward... it's 72+ hours later and the small crisis (which soon became a very large crisis) is over and all is well again (or so I sincerely pray) and I'm once again looking for the box cutter.

Frustration #2: This radio's price that I watched for 6 weeks before I finally decided wasn't going to get any lower anytime soon...is $30 less today than I paid. The difference would cover the cost of that ethernet dongle that I was so annoyed about having to pay another $25 for and should have been onboard or included in any INTERNET radio. 

Should have waited just one more week... It's all pretty trivial in the big scheme of things, though. Now that I've got it off my chest I feel much better!

A very good weekend to all & to all a goodnight!

joe from nashville

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #4 on: 08:41:26 | 05 February, 2016 »
Time to set your priorities straight - get that thing crackin'...
BTW, there is at least one amateur radio repeater channel in the reciva database, and you may be able to add more manually.
Also gads of local fire, police and airport scanner channels.
I spent many years listening to short wave stations and hams on AM, but nowadays because of the internet, there is little to listen to other than evangelists and Chinese stations.
As a 10-year old growing up in New Hampshire I listened to Radio Tirana/Moscow/Havana, BBC, Hilversum, Stockholm, and anything else that would come in via the wire I hung in the attic.
« Last Edit: 11:20:46 | 07 February, 2016 by Keenite »

anything