Author Topic: No access to Reciva  (Read 7629 times)

jdrage

No access to Reciva
« on: 02:49:50 | 16 August, 2011 »
I have had my Logik IR100 for 3 years with no problems.  Yesterday I switched on and, although the screen lit up with 'Reciva Radio ARM powered', nothing else happened ie it didn't then go to the screen that says 'Initialising network'.  It is the same today.  I went to the Reciva website and tried to listen to one or two stations but I can't get anything that way either.  I have never used the Reciva website before to listen as I have have always used my radio. Has anyone any ideas about why this should happen? I'm missing it already.  :(   
Thanks in anticipation that someone out there understands what is going on. Joan

wdgerber

Re: No access to Reciva
« Reply #1 on: 03:33:23 | 16 August, 2011 »
The listening on the web site does not work for all stations for different reasons. It should work for all stations which have an .asx in the URL (which starts the Windows Media Player by default). Other URLs require to have Winamp or VLC installed. For instance try "ABradio: Folk". This should work if there are no other problems.

I assume that you already unplugged your radio because you saw "Reciva radio ARM powered". I don't use an Logik radio so have have no special hint for those radios.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #2 on: 03:43:57 | 16 August, 2011 »
Have you tried unplugging the radio for say, ten minutes, and starting it again?

Did you ever perform a firmware upgrade with your radio, or does it still have the same firmware as when you bought it? Some firmware levels support a 'factory reset' - you unplug the radio, wait a minute, then reconnect it whilst pressing and holding the 'Select' button - if successful, a factory reset message appears.

Has anything in your wireless network environment changed - changed settings on your router, or a new router? How far is your radio from your router, and are there any neighbours with wireless networks within range? My reason for asking is that some earlier Reciva radios were fitted with WLAN circuits which are intolerant of WLANs using the more recent and faster 802.11n standard - these radios not only cannot use such WLANs, they actually freeze in the presence of such a network, and as far as I am aware, some batches of Logik IR100 are also affected.

It is a bit puzzling that you cannot listen on your PC - which stations did you try? Some stations require extra software on your PC, and won't play if that is not present.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

jdrage

« Reply #3 on: 06:46:34 | 16 August, 2011 »
Thanks to the two people who have kindly responded to my query.

re listening to stations on the Reciva website.  I tried again and found that I could receive the stations if I ticked the box to allow access to non-secure sites which I hadn't done before.  I'm a bit loath to do that though as I don't know whether this makes my machine vulnerable to virus attack.

re the Logic radio.  It's in the same position in the house. The router is the same.  In fact nothing has changed as far as I can see unless a neighbour's network is blocking it.  Maybe our nextdoor neighbour has changed his network.  I'll have to ask them.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm afraid I don't understand what is meant by a firmware upgrade.  I've just tried pressing the select button but it makes no difference.  It's all very frustrating. 

Thanks to both of you - you're very kind to try to help.  Joan

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #4 on: 04:59:56 | 17 August, 2011 »
I have always had difficulty listening to stations via the Reciva website and that is probably not relevant to the problem with your Logik.
The suggestion from Dogmatix that you should unplug your radio from the mains for a short period and then reconnect is the first thing to try, without holding down the SELECT botton. It's what people try first with their PCs when they give trouble; "turn it off and then back on" often solves the problem.
If that doesn't do it then you can try a FACTORY RESET. I will assume that your radio is on its original firmware so the instructions on P.16 of the LOGIK manual should apply. On that page you will find how to perform  FACTORY RESET. This should restore the radio to the state it was when you bought it. You will lose any presets you might have setup but you can easily reset those.
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: 10:59:46 | 17 August, 2011 »
If that doesn't do it then you can try a FACTORY RESET. I will assume that your radio is on its original firmware so the instructions on P.16 of the LOGIK manual should apply.
The instructions on page 16 don't apply here.  The OP is unable to get to any menu items.

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #6 on: 01:39:06 | 18 August, 2011 »
When the OP said, I've just tried pressing the select button but it makes no difference.
I wasn't sure whether it meant that there was no change in the display, or that there was still no audio.
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #7 on: 02:07:04 | 18 August, 2011 »
The problem with Factory Reset is that there are two methods: one is by selecting Factory Reset in the menu, to which access is requires, and the other is to hold Select pressed whilst powering the radio up after disconnecting it. However, both of these methods require a certain firmware level, and it would appear that the OP has never updated the firmware on her radio.

That leaves us with:
- the power supply (internal)
- the WLAN dongle (n-intolerance, defunct or dislodged)
- the Barracuda module (needs reflashing?)

Investigating or fixing any of these requires opening the radio. http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm has a lot of information on the workings of the Logik.

Forum member stevegb offers a repair service especially for Logiks.

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

jdrage

« Reply #8 on: 11:58:08 | 18 August, 2011 »
Thanks again to all of you for the further replies.  Just to clarify the situation, when I plug the radio into any socket around the house, the screen lights up but the first message ( Reciva Radio ARM powered ) never moves on to try to connect to the network.  Therefore I am unable to go into the menu and select Factory reset.

I'm thinking that possibly there is a network amongst one of my neighbours that could be blocking it but I haven't had a chance to see my neighbours yet.  If this is the cause, it may mean that I won't be able to use this radio again, unfortunately.

Thanks to Dogmatrix for the link to the logik website.  I'll have a look at that later.  I may try plugging the radio into someone else's house and see if that makes a difference.

Joan

drgeoff

« Reply #9 on: 12:39:07 | 18 August, 2011 »
If the cause of the radio sticking at the "Reciva Radio, ARM Powered" is the Wi-Fi dongle being upset by signals from a Wireless N router, then removing the internal Wi-Fi dongle will allow the radio to pass that stage and display a different message like "No network adaptor found".  (I cannot remember the exact wording.)

Ensure the radio is unplugged from the mains before opening the case.  Compare the plug in dongle at the top with the one in the second photo at http://logikir100.tripod.com/ir100internal.htm.  If they are the same, particularly the writing on the large square plastic chip in the middle then the dongle is not one that is afflicted with the N problem.  If they are different, remove the dongle from its USB socket, replace the back cover (screws not necessary) and repower the radio.

If with "bad dongle" removed the radio does proceed to the different message, see http://reciva-users.wikispot.org/initialize.

If with "not bad dongle" present or "bad dongle" removed the radio still sticks at "Reciva Radio, ARM Powered" then as per Dogmatix's list there is likely a problem with the power supply or the Barracuda module and the radio will require repair by a knowledgeable person.
« Last Edit: 13:07:38 | 18 August, 2011 by drgeoff »

anything