login

Author Topic: 'nother Newbie..  (Read 5488 times)

BobShanghai

'nother Newbie..
« on: 23:19:03 | 17 September, 2011 »
So after many days of reading, I joined.

Seems like I have something that almost nobody else got. Rotel RDG-1520.
I wanted it to match the rest of my HiFi kit. So was not concerned about the cost (too much).
Had it for about 9 months.

Please can you set up an area for Rotel. I will post my observations and issues there.
(Yes, I really do live in Shanghai)
TNX Bob

zeewier

• Administrator
Re: 'nother Newbie..
« Reply #1 on: 03:25:15 | 18 September, 2011 »
Is the Rotel Reciva based?
But even if it's not you're welcome here anyway!

BobShanghai

« Reply #2 on: 04:02:08 | 18 September, 2011 »
Yes, I think it is Stingray based, but I haven't de-skinned it to have a look.

Thanks for the welcome!

m0aur

« Reply #3 on: 04:13:41 | 18 September, 2011 »
Is the Rotel Reciva based?
But even if it's not you're welcome here anyway!
The board looks the same dimensions as the Stingray. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/rotel-rdg-1520-955516/review

http://corporate.reciva.com/download/5/

Edit: Stingray, decent Wolfson DAC, Reciva remote etc ··· http://www.audio.de/testbericht/im-test-netzwerkplayer-rotel-rdg-1520-1121117.html
« Last Edit: 04:25:22 | 18 September, 2011 by m0aur »

Crystalset

Rotel RDG 1520
« Reply #4 on: 04:41:47 | 18 September, 2011 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZcJkxader0

Tempting, isn't it?  $1000.

m0aur

Re: Rotel RDG 1520
« Reply #5 on: 04:43:20 | 18 September, 2011 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZcJkxader0

Tempting, isn't it?  $1000.
I was just about to say that at £795 inclusive of the usual piddly Reciva display is taking the juice, especially after suffering the £400 Stingray driven Cambridge NP30. Makes the £250 for a fast X10 with colour screen & built-in HDD and CD ripping drive a bargain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrKEQjAFFE
 No wonder Google searches for the Cocktail Audio X10 are intercepted by Brennan. It seems they are worried about competing with the £700 JB7, which according to one unhappy punter, is rubbish! http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R224FP0MKROZWG/ref=cm_cd_notf_message?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2BNSYPBEQUSYP&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1N8VNT0EKRR9G#Mx29NH7UZ3V4ZEM
« Last Edit: 05:00:27 | 18 September, 2011 by m0aur »

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #6 on: 05:45:06 | 18 September, 2011 »
This receiver requires you register at rotelradio.com which redirects to rotel.reciva.com

From then on things look a bit familiar ...

I will include Rotel in the Hardware and Firmware section.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

m0aur

« Reply #7 on: 05:57:40 | 18 September, 2011 »
This receiver requires you register at rotelradio.com which redirects to rotel.reciva.com
Like all the splinter groups, rotel.reciva.com will accept your standard Reciva site details.

drgeoff

« Reply #8 on: 09:20:40 | 19 September, 2011 »
I read the techradar review.  Can anyone explain what:

"In terms of detail it's just a little behind the best, lacking a little precision and giving stereo images which are slightly compressed in both lateral and depth dimensions."

means.

And I wasn't impressed by:

"If we could find a bit-perfect UPnP server, performance in this area might be noticeably better. "

Except when operating in transcoding mode, surely all uPnP servers do not modify the files they are serving and thus are 'bit-perfect'.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 09:30:21 | 19 September, 2011 »
"In terms of detail it's just a little behind the best, lacking a little precision and giving stereo images which are slightly compressed in both lateral and depth dimensions."

... but tinged with a slight tone of blueberry and vanilla.

Meaning - 'I come up with this garbage to pay the bills'.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

m0aur

« Reply #10 on: 09:51:49 | 19 September, 2011 »

... but tinged with a slight tone of blueberry and vanilla.

Meaning - 'I come up with this garbage to pay the bills'.
A little like what ‘Experts’ can detect when sampling wine, when in truth, some reds taste like an old sofa that's been out in the yard for a few years! ··· All in the mind ;D
« Last Edit: 09:53:56 | 19 September, 2011 by m0aur »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 09:58:33 | 19 September, 2011 »
Talkin' 'bout Newbies .... hope Reciva_Tony isn't related to Swiss Toni from The Fast Show!!!
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

m0aur

« Reply #12 on: 10:07:58 | 19 September, 2011 »
Talkin' 'bout Newbies .... hope Reciva_Tony isn't related to Swiss Toni from The Fast Show!!!
I am sorry, but as far as I am concerned, it is a little late for Reciva to pretend to care about users and their streams. They always have passed the buck regarding iffy radios and firmware, which just leaves streams, which if you cannot sort yourself, you will have trouble with Wi-Fi radios anyway, which in my book at least means I don't need them. Oh, and I can't stand the creeps that bow and scrape to him either ··· SO THERE :o

Spirado

• Love radio
« Reply #13 on: 12:25:58 | 19 September, 2011 »
I am sorry, but as far as I am concerned, it is a little late for Reciva to pretend to care about users and their streams. They always have passed the buck regarding iffy radios and firmware, which just leaves streams, which if you cannot sort yourself, you will have trouble with Wi-Fi radios anyway, which in my book at least means I don't need them. Oh, and I can't stand the creeps that bow and scrape to him either ··· SO THERE :o

You didn't take your medicine ?
Thanks,
Eric-Jan van den Bogaard.
(frequent used radio at the moment: Lenco IR3000

orkney

• "The older we get, the better we were"
« Reply #14 on: 07:08:26 | 22 September, 2011 »
Hello there!
Roberts WM 201 - Roberts Stream 83i, Imp Magicbox now dead as a dodo - Clarus Plus - HTC Wildfire

anything