Author Topic: Reciva - Still Alive?  (Read 28295 times)

webradio

Reciva - Still Alive?
« on: 21:04:11 | 19 October, 2011 »
Sorry for the whiny first post, but I notice that Ben Terrell's Linked In profile no longer exists, I do hope that this is just  change in his method of connecting with people and not something more serious.
There was nobody from Reciva visible at the October HK Electronics Fair, even their Taiwan/China man was conspicuous by his absence.  The CTO/Founder (Phil) is no longer with the company, so who is left?
Is this really the end of Reciva?  It would be a real shame, they defined the whole concept of iRadio as a consumer product and created their own market.
Shame that they decided to get out of the HW side, for sure this was the wrong way to go, the platform would have supported other applications that could have taken them to new markets, it would have been a great platform for the new and emerging WiFi based multi-room systems, they already had the DLNA stack in place...
Anyway, if this really is the end for Reciva then I wish all those who worked to create the legend the best of luck in the future.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Re: Reciva - Still Alive?
« Reply #1 on: 23:45:12 | 19 October, 2011 »
Sorry for the whiny first post, but I notice that Ben Terrell's Linked In profile no longer exists, I do hope that this is just  change in his method of connecting with people and not something more serious.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is/was Ben Terrell?
Not everyone uses LinkedIn. And not everyone feels the need to "connect" with people.

There was nobody from Reciva visible at the October HK Electronics Fair, even their Taiwan/China man was conspicuous by his absence. 

Reciva's tactics for such shows has changed. They used to have a stand at the Berlin IFA show, but now they just meet potential customers there with pre-arranged appointments.

The CTO/Founder (Phil) is no longer with the company, so who is left?

Toby is still there...

Is this really the end of Reciva?  It would be a real shame, they defined the whole concept of iRadio as a consumer product and created their own market.
Shame that they decided to get out of the HW side

Indeed. Reciva as we knew it - designer and purveyor of the Barracuda and Stingray modules and the firmware therefor - has disappeared; we are left with Reciva as an internet radio database company.  They now have nothing to do with the hardware, and little to do with firmware  (I assume that firmware distribution is still channelled through their servers).

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Paul Webster

« Reply #2 on: 00:02:09 | 20 October, 2011 »
Ben Terrell was appointed as CFO of Reciva in 2005 and later became CEO.

A Reciva staff member (Toby)  has been posting here quite regularly over the last few months - including this week.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

BenTerrell

« Reply #3 on: 04:38:09 | 28 October, 2011 »
There was nobody from Reciva visible at the October HK Electronics Fair, even their Taiwan/China man was conspicuous by his absence.  The CTO/Founder (Phil) is no longer with the company, so who is left?
Shame that they decided to get out of the HW side, for sure this was the wrong way to go, the platform would have supported other applications that could have taken them to new markets, it would have been a great platform for the new and emerging WiFi based multi-room systems, they already had the DLNA stack in place...
Anyway, if this really is the end for Reciva then I wish all those who worked to create the legend the best of luck in the future.

Hi,

This is Ben Terrell.

I am delighted to say that Reciva is alive and well.
Contrary to popular belief we have not stopped developing new products, instead we have chosen to focus on a few key customers who have significant volumes. This strategy is already paying dividends. I can reveal that we have a completely new product line coming out within the next few months.

By the way, we still sell Barracuda and Stingray modules. We sold a record number in September.
We still carry out modules software development.
We are still adding services to our server web service; RecivaConnectPlus.
We are still maintaining our stations lists.

So you might ask, what have we stopped doing?

The key thing we have stopped doing is supporting every Chinese factory out there to make small run radios at a total loss to us. This has massively reduced the load on our staff and actually increased our revenue.

We did not attend HK because we no longer need to go there. We know our customers well, and we have more than enough business.

The reason I closed my Linked In account is that I never use it. There is nothing odd about that. If you guys want to contact me you can do so here or you can email me directly. So long as you are not abusive I will respond. By the way - whether or not I have a LinkedIn account is my own business. If you watch closely you might see me re-appear on face book soon... seems my sky diving mates all post videos on facebook... I might even re-open my Skype account, if only it didn't crash my vista laptop. I quite like the idea of trying the new Google thing when it comes to Europe. All of this is completely irrelevant to Reciva.

We were sad to loose Phil, he is a mate of mine, I had a beer with him recently, he was inspirational and also the last founder that still remained in the company. Very few founders remain in their companies for ever, it is a natural development for him to move on.

Please stop worrying about Reciva. If you are really really worried then you can contact me by email and I will arrange a personal visit to Reciva and you can see some of the new stuff. But do try to relax in the mean time.

Regards,

Ben

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #4 on: 04:57:35 | 28 October, 2011 »
Thanks for the update Ben.

It's a pity that Reciva hasn't handled things very well. All this could all have been addressed through Reciva's own forum, although it was never, what you might call, responsive or illuminating.

Anyway, it does mean that Reciva posts more positive news and developments through this forum than they ever did on their own, so that's a good thing, right?

Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

BenTerrell

« Reply #5 on: 07:01:44 | 28 October, 2011 »
The problem with the forum and the reason it had to go was that our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products and demanded it be removed. Don't get me wrong, I am all for transparency, but you must remember that we do not build radios, we sell modules and provide a web service. We are not the design authority for the radio hardware.

The right place for people commenting on "features" of products is on the brand's website, or a shop's website. I really believe that this refuge website is probably the best place compromise for what you want.

We know we need to improve stuff, I am not trying to hide from reality. Sorry.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 07:33:05 | 28 October, 2011 »
our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products

If the cap fits ....

They, of course, could have replied to negative posts - but their silence was deafening (except for the odd exception).

Just as well you closed it down before the Professor bought his CA NP-30  ;D ;D ;D
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 07:35:31 | 28 October, 2011 »
The problem with the forum and the reason it had to go was that our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products  ...

I suspect most of us regard ourselves as customers ...
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average

m0aur

« Reply #8 on: 08:24:55 | 28 October, 2011 »
our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products

If the cap fits ....

They, of course, could have replied to negative posts - but their silence was deafening (except for the odd exception).

Just as well you closed it down before the Professor bought his CA NP-30  ;D ;D ;D
Though nice to see a helpful Reciva at last, it does not excuse five years of passing the buck. Also, most "Customers" had abandoned the brand long before the old Reciva forum closed. The likes of the curry's group dumped them because of the very high number of returned flaky radios. We all know it was a firmware issue that was nothing to do with the retailer, or in the case of the Logik, also dry joints on the Reciva module, so in my book WAS down to Reciva. Users could get no help from them, most store staff barely know what a Wi-Fi radio is. The same applied to other retailers such as Aldi. I had a Tevion in the house for a full 30 minutes before returning the junk.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #9 on: 08:59:09 | 28 October, 2011 »
Ben, thanks for looking in and telling us what is going on at Reciva. The 'popular belief' you mentioned came about because of a lengthy lack of information about what - if anything - was going on at Reciva. I, for one, am interested to read that Reciva is still developing new products, and I look forward to reading more about them (unless it is just another iThing thing!).

One thing, though:

The right place for people commenting on "features" of products is on the brand's website, or a shop's website.

In theory, yes: after all, the brands decide what features their Reciva radios should have, whether they develop the radio hardware themselves or buy off-the-shelf radios from the likes of King Champion and Hip Shing. However, precious few of these brands actually have places on their websites for questions and comments, and even if they have, they often do not have the expertise (or desire) to answer queries, especially technical ones. Shops also have the problem of lack of expertise. Some forums also remove anything that smacks of criticism, even if (or especially if?) justified.

Thus we are fortunate indeed to have this present forum, brand-neutral and brand-independent, with experienced users on-hand to help with problems which brands cannot be bothered with (especially the defunct brands), and the welcome participation of a handful of brand names, and, recently, Reciva.

As for the 'customer' issue: we end-users are not directly your customers, but indirectly we are, for a (probably small) part of what we pay for our Reciva radios does end up in your coffers: you sell modules to radio makers, who sell the radios to wholesalers, who sell them to retailers, who sell them to us, who keep them and use them. At the end of the chain, end-users are Reciva's bread-and-butter, so even if only in an extended sense,  in terms of both of the hardware (the modules) and of the database service, we do tend to see ourselves as Reciva customers, and (some of us, at least) welcome Reciva's new-found interest in communicating with us here.

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #10 on: 17:00:34 | 28 October, 2011 »
Based on my experiences, I'm not yet prepared to sing hymns of praise about Reciva or the customer support provided by its "customers,"  but it would be nice to be updated from time to time about what Reciva is doing.  Otherwise, all one has to rely on are rumors and conjectures.  It should be easy to see how reports of Reciva's demise can be greatly exaggerated if all one reads is how engineers have been hired by other companies, the hardware business has been sold and firmware updates discontinued.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #11 on: 06:20:34 | 29 October, 2011 »
I am delighted to say that Reciva is alive and well.

Thanks for dropping by and we hope you'll check in now and again.

• I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!
« Reply #12 on: 08:06:21 | 29 October, 2011 »
Thanks Ben, for your comments.

There are those, on here and elsewhere, who thrive on whingeing. If anything goes wrong with their router, their ISP, their local interference, the BBC Iplayer, the branded receiver (with the Reciva module), or occasionally the servers used by Reciva, it isn't their fault so it must be yours!

I can speak from personal experience about a Reciva issue that was fixed for me very promptly, with your own personal intervention.

Please keep looking in and commenting, where relevant.
I thought that I was wrong once, but I may have been mistaken :-)

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 08:26:44 | 29 October, 2011 »
I can speak from personal experience about a Reciva issue that was ....

... never fixed (after three years) despite assurances that it would be in 'the next firmware update'.

No chance of a fix now - given Reciva 'don't do firmware'.

Horses for courses, or different strokes for different folks?
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #14 on: 15:34:51 | 29 October, 2011 »
There are those, on here and elsewhere, who thrive on whingeing ...

No whingers here #6.  But since you're new here you wouldn't know.

I am #2.

Be seeing you ...

anything