login

Author Topic: Reciva - Still Alive?  (Read 28294 times)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Reciva - Still Alive?
« Reply #15 on: 19:52:04 | 29 October, 2011 »
Please give us whingers a child board, boss.  :D
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #16 on: 04:28:57 | 30 October, 2011 »
Please give us whingers a child board, boss.  :D

Quit whinging you whiner!!!

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

SimonReciva

« Reply #17 on: 07:21:54 | 01 November, 2011 »
The problem with the forum and the reason it had to go was that our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products and demanded it be removed. Don't get me wrong, I am all for transparency, but you must remember that we do not build radios, we sell modules and provide a web service. We are not the design authority for the radio hardware.

The right place for people commenting on "features" of products is on the brand's website, or a shop's website. I really believe that this refuge website is probably the best place compromise for what you want.

We know we need to improve stuff, I am not trying to hide from reality. Sorry.

Hi Ben
Nice to hear from you and, like most people on this forum I am glad Reciva is alive and well (?)

I am not sure I quite buy your version of what happened. I can imagine the old forum was not popular with some of the manufacturers and your decision to cut links with small Chinese factories no doubt is sensible. But it seems to me some serious manufacturers lost faith with Reciva long ago and I doubt it was all about the forum – I used a Roberts radio which seemed rather good in hardware and to have faults in the firmware which were not addressed satisfactorily – has that beta ever come out of beta? Was the problem with Roberts just about the forum? (I don’t expect you to answer that publicly.)

My view was always that it was untenable for a software/firmware supplier to expect all end-user queries to be routed through hardware manufacturers. We customers had common interests which Reciva could have constructively addressed but rarely did. Instead the forum’s positive value lay in the support from fellow users. Without positive visible support on the forum from Reciva, any casual browsers thinking to buy an internet radio were bound to get a negative view about Reciva. Shutting down your forum does not however get rid of all the outlets for negative vibes about Reciva.

Revealingly the user support was equally lousy where there was no hardware manufacturer involved, as in your app for the iPhone where the relationship was much more direct between you and the end user and yet you completely failed to address real bugs. I just gave up on my buggy iPhone app after repeated attempts to get a response from you – not sure who you think should have handled that problem.

So good luck for the future but I do have doubts. They are not about the technical side and would not be resolved by going to the factory, they are about the customer interface. If you are continuing to sell a software/firmware product to be used ultimately by consumers Reciva will have to up its game with regard to customer support. As it stands I would not recommend someone to buy hardware or an app powered by Reciva based on my experience over quite a few years as a Internet radio user – surely that must be of some concern to you and your investors?

All the best.....

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Last Edit: 09:09:23 | 01 November, 2011 by Keenite »

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #19 on: 09:10:53 | 01 November, 2011 »
That balloon thing always weirded me out.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average

TedM

• Ted Marcus' Virtual Light Table
« Reply #21 on: 16:22:58 | 02 November, 2011 »
The problem with the forum and the reason it had to go was that our customers got fed up with people slagging off their products and demanded it be removed. Don't get me wrong, I am all for transparency, but you must remember that we do not build radios, we sell modules and provide a web service. We are not the design authority for the radio hardware.

The right place for people commenting on "features" of products is on the brand's website, or a shop's website. I really believe that this refuge website is probably the best place compromise for what you want.

We know we need to improve stuff, I am not trying to hide from reality. Sorry.

In theory it's quite true that the brand's Web site is the appropriate place to discuss features, including firmware problems and updates. In practice, the brands either did not provide that, or they explicitly referred customers to (or mirrored) the Reciva forums. I guess the brands were unhappy with Reciva providing forums and user-to-user support, since they apparently prefer their customers to remain in the dark about features and firmware improvements. And of course, the brands that no longer exist can't provide support either.

Don't get me wrong. I very much like my radio (Sanyo R227). But my attempts to contact Sanyo (before Panasonic did away with the brand name entirely) about firmware issues were met with a combination of ignorance and indifference. So I rather doubt that they'll be providing a firmware update that supports the increasing number of AAC+ streams even if Reciva (or someone else) finally gets around to creating such an update.

I can understand Reciva's desire to leave end-customer support to the brands. But when the brands don't do an adequate job of that, it can't be good for Reciva's reputation and profitability.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 16:36:57 | 02 November, 2011 »
For me, the death knell sounded when Reciva pulled out of any responsibility for firmware.  I have two 'dead' brands - Magicbox and Vistron.  Neither offered any support.  It was only through the beta program that the two radios became really functional.  The Magicbox is still afflicted with some annoying bugs.  Now, even that solution has been withdrawn or at least brought to a definitive end.

I guess, like for many others, the solution was to move to a different system.  The absence of many old Reciva stagers from this forum suggests that most have moved elsewhere.

If I were to buy another internet radio, I'm afraid it wouldn't be a Reciva one. 

Pity.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #23 on: 00:02:36 | 03 November, 2011 »
It was only through the beta program that the two radios became really functional. [...] Now, even that solution has been withdrawn or at least brought to a definitive end.

The beta firmware is still available. Or do you mean that further development of the beta firmware has ceased?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 02:17:55 | 03 November, 2011 »
... further development.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

m0aur

« Reply #25 on: 03:04:39 | 03 November, 2011 »
... further development.
I would not believe a word that Reciva says. It was them that stated they had sold out modules and firmware development to others, so can only assume they have done the sensible thing, and base any "New" product around Frontier Silicon. They could do worse that stick their badge on a revived Roku Soundbridge.

Paul Webster

« Reply #26 on: 05:01:41 | 03 November, 2011 »
The "further development" comment above was stating a belief that Reciva will not be enhancing the firmware further. I assume that we all think that is the case - especially as key firmware staff went to Cambridge Audio (and Reciva did a press release about it).
My guess is that Reciva could still do a patch if they felt that they had to - but that the new offerings that Ben referred to will be related to content (station groups, On Demand, 3rd-party service integration) where no firmware update is required to benefit from them.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
« Reply #27 on: 05:20:20 | 03 November, 2011 »
I can understand Reciva's desire to leave end-customer support to the brands. But when the brands don't do an adequate job of that, it can't be good for Reciva's reputation and profitability.

I have contacted Sangean on about half-a-dozen occasions. Every time they have referred me on to Reciva.

Perhaps it's the brands who need educating not us.

BobShanghai

« Reply #28 on: 15:24:24 | 03 November, 2011 »
Seems to me that the weak part of the whole Reciva "project" has been firmware. Sure, there are hardware faults, but most comments of complaint appear to be firmware and user interface related.
It makes me wonder if Reciva should have released the whole firmware package and permitted the "technical" user community fix it for them. The Sharpfin project should have been accepted with open arms.
I only have the expensive Rotel box, I have owned it now for about a year. In all of this time there has never been any firmware update at all. This tells me, either Rotel/Reciva consider it to be "perfect", or that there has been a big issue between Reciva and the equipment maker (in this case Rotel), where neither wished to progress the firmware and make it a better product.
It also surprises me that now after some months since Rotel purchased a source licence, they still have not released any update. To be fair, generally the box is working ok, but it does "have its moments" and goes through a restarting process, or protracted buffering, for no good reason that I can see.

tobylockyer

« Reply #29 on: 07:31:39 | 04 November, 2011 »
Hi Bob,

Firstly thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear your having problems with your unit. How long have you had it?

Your comment about releasing the source code has come up a few times and is interesting!
We have sold  rights to a copy of our source code to the likes of Audio Partnership and Rotel and they are developing their own upgrades.

We ourselves are still developing the code but only for a single new product.

The source code is available to other companies that we have had dealings with but they have not wished to come forward and enter into supporting their legacy products.

Would we give away a product with years and years of development which we still sell? No, it doesn't make business sense. I'm sure the people that have bought it wouldn't be impressed either!

Currently there are well over 50 different software releases that are accessing our servers from differing models of radio. Without funding from the brands we can not offer to develop upgrades to radio software to enable new features bespoke for that model. New features that can be developed on our server end does take place and these are made available to older radio models if their software can support them.

Ted:

Re your comment about leaving end-customer support to the brands.
I have to kind of agree with you, your correct it can't look great for Reciva when the Brands fail to support you. However in our new business model, it does fall on them to support the firmware that they make. Firmware is now in the hands of the radio makers, the decision to do that is done, and despite popular belief, I think thats for the better! We can now focus on the services we provide to the radios.

Thanks
Toby