login

Author Topic: Reciva - Still Alive?  (Read 28296 times)

SimonReciva

Re: Reciva - Still Alive?
« Reply #30 on: 08:14:27 | 04 November, 2011 »
Ted:

Re your comment about leaving end-customer support to the brands.
I have to kind of agree with you, your correct it can't look great for Reciva when the Brands fail to support you. However in our new business model, it does fall on them to support the firmware that they make. Firmware is now in the hands of the radio makers, the decision to do that is done, and despite popular belief, I think thats for the better! We can now focus on the services we provide to the radios.

Thanks
Toby

Hi Toby
Just out of interest, in your new business model whose job is it to support apps like that for the iPhone?

BobShanghai

« Reply #31 on: 22:54:24 | 04 November, 2011 »
Hi Toby

Thanks for your comments. It would be a little unfair to say I am having real problems. Yes, there are some hiccups, but generally I am very happy with my Rotel box. It does everything I want and the audio quality is very satisfactory.
The reason why I wished for the source code is not because I want hack it and try to get something for nothing (a la satellite TV), but purely that I wanted to develop something that I feel should have been included in the original. That is the ability to control Reciva via a pc over LAN (wireless or wired). My thinking is that this ability would be a very great bonus and would have been a great selling feature. If a web interface was included by default, then this question would not arise, and by now for sure there would be some excellent add-ons available.
I have pretty much finished a remote system for my box that works via its serial port. It works very well indeed. Now I am thinking about upnp control (because web interface seems to be out of the equation). I will post a couple of pics in the Rotel section.
For your comments about future firmware support. I cannot really believe that Rotel or CA will be interested to fix or develop firmware for potentially rival manufacturers. So it would appear that unless some particular manufacturer has proper in-house firmware ability (and access to code), then customers will have no future support at all. Also as you say yourself, other manufacturers have no interest in supporting their legacy products. I suppose everything comes to the end of its life.
I have one question for you. I live in Shanghai China. DAB broadcast here is L band, not band 3. Other parts of China do use B3, but not Shanghai. Is it possible for me to change any setting in my Rotel box, such that the DAB receiver can be on L band, or is this a hardware thing?

Bob

tobylockyer

« Reply #32 on: 03:42:59 | 05 November, 2011 »
SimonIR.

The support would come from the person that wrote it in my opinion. That is just my thoughts though, so when I get back to the office on Monday, I'll find out for you.

Bob, Its really interesting to see your thoughts re Web Interface etc. When I joined Reciva (6 months ago) I actually looked on the internet and found the "Sharpfin" Project, I found it quite interesting how users had been able to circumvent the radios to do "Extra" things. As most of you know most devices these days are just a linux kernel, and then people write software to do things on that kernel! The DD-WRT project is another one close to my heart!

I guess the real bug bearer for me is that even if someone did go down the route of trying to sort out legacy radios add cool features to the OS etc, we wouldn't be paid to do it and it couldn't be done within office hours (we have enough to do). I for one don't work for love... So it would need funding, and that funding would need to come from you guys if you wanted the update!

Equally if we did make upgrades to the radio firmware we would only be able to give it to users that don't have a radio with a maker that makes there own software now. eg Rotel.

As for your question RE: DAB Broadcast, I've got no idea, that DAB receiver you have in your radio is nothing to do with us. Only Rotel will have that answer, alternatively if you can find out which chip it is (somehow) maybe google will be able to help you! I don't know my "DAB" too well I'm afraid. Are there not Internet equivalent stations of the DAB broadcasts?

BobShanghai

« Reply #33 on: 04:01:28 | 05 November, 2011 »
Hi Toby

Yes, for sure I understand the cost implications of supporting and updating firmware.

I am pleased that you mention the Sharpfin project. You know there are very many skilled programmers and engineers in the user community, who enjoy the challenge of "reverse engineering". Often times this is done purely to add features and make a product better, it is only some unscruplous ones who are trying to circumvent "payment systems" (satellite TV as good example).

I am not a "reverse engineerer", my job is heavy electrical/electronic engineering and associated control software. But when I have something at home that needs enhancing, then I get stuck in to it.

My Chinese purchased Sony Bravia 46HX920 3D TV is next on the list. In China, officially Skype is restricted, also youtube etc. So the telly does not have these in the firmware, yet they are included as no cost add-ons in other Countries. Needless to say.....!!!!

Ok about the DAB unit. I will have a look inside sometime and see if there are any markings.

Bob

drgeoff

« Reply #34 on: 04:18:21 | 05 November, 2011 »
Toby

So somehow funds can be found for the time and effort to devise and implement a workaround on the Reciva server for the wrong podcast bug.  Yet funds cannot be found to do the job properly, ie fix the firmware.

Is this bug still present in the fimwares of the latest shipping products?

If not, then it has been fixed and the solution is known so releasing a new beta should not be difficult or time consuming.

If it is still present then the story, as you have been telling it, is that each brand will need to fix it for themselves.  Surely it is cheaper if they each chip in a bit of money for Reciva to do it once.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #35 on: 05:48:29 | 05 November, 2011 »
I'd even pay a small subscription fee annually for regular firmware updates to keep my radios from becoming obsolete.  How 'bout putting that one in the suggestion box?  Otherwise, it sounds to me that the great Reciva business plan simply is to fuel the sale of new radios through planned obsolescence.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

shuttleman58

« Reply #36 on: 07:04:08 | 05 November, 2011 »
Ditto here.  A small annual fee for firmware updates would be fine by me, too.  It beats having what will otherwise become outdated boxes. 

Paul Webster

« Reply #37 on: 08:01:15 | 05 November, 2011 »
I don't think that Reciva has previously acknowldged in public who the 3rd-party developer is.
It is in the Apple AppStore under Reciva's name. However, I'm sure I am not alone in having worked it out and I am probably not alone in having contacted the author in the past and had some success in getting him to resolve a couple of bugs.

On the old Reciva forum there was a section specifically for the Reciva iRadio ap - and the welcome message said:
"This is the all new forum category for the Reciva iPhone application (also available on the iPod Touch). Feel free to post here about your experiences with the app, what features you think are great, or what you think we could improve on. Your thoughts and ideas are valuable to us. If you haven’t downloaded the app yet, just search for Reciva on the App Store. The app is on general sale from Tuesday 23rd February 2010. You can register your app on the radios.reciva.com website, which will enable you to listen to your favourite stations wherever you are!"
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

tobylockyer

« Reply #38 on: 02:20:49 | 07 November, 2011 »
Bob, I'm sending you a PM at it seems you should have a setting in your DAB radio for changing your Band :)

BobShanghai

« Reply #39 on: 02:44:47 | 07 November, 2011 »
Hi Toby

It has not come yet. I'll check a bit later. Thanks for investigating

Bob

TedM

• Ted Marcus' Virtual Light Table
« Reply #40 on: 19:28:54 | 07 November, 2011 »
Ted:

Re your comment about leaving end-customer support to the brands.
I have to kind of agree with you, your correct it can't look great for Reciva when the Brands fail to support you. However in our new business model, it does fall on them to support the firmware that they make. Firmware is now in the hands of the radio makers, the decision to do that is done, and despite popular belief, I think thats for the better! We can now focus on the services we provide to the radios.

That assumes the radio makers are capable of developing or improving the firmware. And also that they still exist. I've been using the beta software on my Sanyo R227 for over a year. It's a significant improvement. But I've been periodically checking for official Sanyo updates on a radio I got for my parents. Sanyo have not updated their firmware since I got the radios two years ago. And I don't any reason to expect that they will provide update in the future. 

When enough of the stations I listen to switch over to AAC+, I'll have to abandon my Sanyo in favor of a (non-Reciva) radio whose manufacturer's business model allows them to provide compatible firmware.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #41 on: 23:19:56 | 07 November, 2011 »
Sanyo have not updated their firmware since I got the radios two years ago. And I don't any reason to expect that they will provide update in the future. 

When enough of the stations I listen to switch over to AAC+, I'll have to abandon my Sanyo in favor of a (non-Reciva) radio whose manufacturer's business model allows them to provide compatible firmware.

That is the whole point: the brands don't want us to upgrade our existing radios, they want us to buy new ones. Preferably theirs. All we, as end users, can do is either shut up and cough up, or stick to the few brands who do provide upgrades, even if their products are more expensive.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

SimonReciva

« Reply #42 on: 07:35:35 | 09 November, 2011 »

Hi Toby
Just out of interest, in your new business model whose job is it to support apps like that for the iPhone?

SimonIR.

The support would come from the person that wrote it in my opinion. That is just my thoughts though, so when I get back to the office on Monday, I'll find out for you.

Any luck with the answer to that question Toby?

tobylockyer

« Reply #43 on: 05:29:04 | 10 November, 2011 »
Simon,

Sorry had a lot of tasks to get onto this week, and it skipped my mind, email sent to the relevant people and will update you when I have info.

Thanks
Toby

tobylockyer

« Reply #44 on: 06:31:14 | 10 November, 2011 »
All Iphone concerns should be emailed to iphone-support@reciva.com.

Thanks
Toby

anything