Author Topic: new in the world of internetradio  (Read 4614 times)

Willem Jan

new in the world of internetradio
« on: 06:17:54 | 28 December, 2011 »
Hi,

Today I received my IPdio Tune Internet radio. Not having specific digital gifts I succeeded in installing it. In the past I often used a world receiver but this is way better. Short wave from South Africa had it's limitations. Now I can enjoy various radio stations.

For me, this has been the best buy this year

Willem Jan

Keenite

• Change is overrated
Re: new in the world of internetradio
« Reply #1 on: 14:11:17 | 28 December, 2011 »
Hi Willem,
Welcome to our little band of internet radio enthusiasts.
I too have the Tune, only real gripe I have is that it doesn't have the "instant-on" feature that many simlar radios have, unless this option has been added since I bought mine about 2 years ago.
If you ever have any technical questions, feel free to post them below under the"Grace Digital" section (US versions of most iPdio radios are sold under that brand name [your model: GDI-IRDT200 - Tuner]), but you should mention that it is an iPdio nevertheless, as there may be some small differences.
Have you succeeded in registering the radio on the Reciva website? If not, I would urge you to do so, as it is much handier to manage your lists of favorites online than via the radio's buttons. People here will be glad to help you if you run into any problems.
Looking forward to your contributions
Keenite
« Last Edit: 14:33:14 | 28 December, 2011 by Keenite »

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 15:27:54 | 28 December, 2011 »
Welcome, Willem.  I have the Grace Digital (US) version of your Ipdio Tune and I've been pleased with it, although there are some  HE AAC v. 2 stations that I wish it could get.   Apparently unlike Keenite's, mine does have the "wireless standby" option which allows the iPod remote to work with it.  You may note that you cannot control the line-out volume or mute with the remote that comes with the tuner;  you only can control the headphone volume using the remote.
« Last Edit: 15:30:17 | 28 December, 2011 by Solo2 »
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #3 on: 23:22:37 | 28 December, 2011 »
Welkom Willem. I also have an DNT IPdio Tune (and may get a second one soon), and I'm quite happy with it. It is made by King Champion, who also made quite a few of the more popular Reciva models, including the IPdio Mini, which has cropped up under a few other brand names (but not Grace).

The Tune has two slightly bothersome limitations: firstly, as Solo2 pointed out, the line-out volume (both digital and analogue) is fixed, and secondly, FM output is analogue only.

You may find our Wiki site of interest: http://reciva-users.wikispot.org/.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Willem Jan

« Reply #4 on: 04:42:49 | 30 December, 2011 »
Hello Keenite, Solo2, Dogmatix,

I registered my radio with Reciva and that worked well. You are right about the volume. It does nothing and cannot be controlled by the remote either. As I integrated the radio in my stereo set, I simply have to manage the volume through the amplifier. As this is a quad 33 I will not have the trouble of being able to use a remote control :-) Volume control on the remote of the IPdio would have been great. Maybe a nice feature for a next release.

Willem Jan

drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: 11:22:14 | 30 December, 2011 »
IMHO a line-out should be at a fixed level and not controlled by the volume control which adjusts the speaker(s) or headphone socket.  Even better if that 'fixed' level is actually adjustable by a separate control (possibly a menu option) so that different sources feeding analogue inputs on an amplifier can have their levels equalised.  With digital connections such as SPDIF and the audio in HDMI this is not necessary.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 18:27:56 | 30 December, 2011 »
IMHO a line-out should be at a fixed level and not controlled by the volume control which adjusts the speaker(s) or headphone socket.  Even better if that 'fixed' level is actually adjustable by a separate control (possibly a menu option) so that different sources feeding analogue inputs on an amplifier can have their levels equalised.  With digital connections such as SPDIF and the audio in HDMI this is not necessary.

Probably.  But then it's a little silly to provide a remote that can only adjust headphone volume.  Presumably if you're tethered to the tuner by your headphones you're close enough to the volume controls on the amplifier so as to not need to bother with a remote.   Admittedly the remote does other things, but why bother to put volume controls on it?  It's also a little disappointing to press the volume controls on the Grace iPod remote app for the first time and find out that the app is of no use in adjusting the tuner's volume when the iPod remote can adjust the volume on Grace's other products.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 06:46:05 | 31 December, 2011 »
Line Out and Headphone Socket should be two completely different things.

Line Out should be the signal before it's processed by the amplifier/tone controls/bass lift/low volume compensation or whatever, thus, hopefully providing a better source for your hifi or whatever.

Running your amp via a headphone outlet runs the risk of overloading the pre-amp stage. Line Out should conform to a basic standard which prevents damage by overloading circuits.

I'm sure there are those here who can express it in a more technical manner.

Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

drgeoff

« Reply #8 on: 09:42:17 | 31 December, 2011 »
Line Out should conform to a basic standard which prevents damage by overloading circuits.
Unfortunately there is no single standard for analogue audio line-outs.  (Unlike video where 1 volt peak to peak into 75 ohms has been used by everyone for decades.)  One of the virtues of digital audio connections is that this problem can be avoided  (as well as hum, noise, crosstalk etc).  Putting a level control on a digital line out is a bad idea.

(Edit.  To be accurate the 1 volt of video refers only to the luminance part.  In the case of composite colour video signals the peak to peak amplitude may exceed that.)
« Last Edit: 09:53:35 | 31 December, 2011 by drgeoff »

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 10:09:08 | 31 December, 2011 »
Line Out should conform to a basic standard which prevents damage by overloading circuits.
Unfortunately there is no single standard for analogue audio line-outs.  (Unlike video where 1 volt peak to peak into 75 ohms has been used by everyone for decades.)  One of the virtues of digital audio connections is that this problem can be avoided  (as well as hum, noise, crosstalk etc).  Putting a level control on a digital line out is a bad idea.

(Edit.  To be accurate the 1 volt of video refers only to the luminance part.  In the case of composite colour video signals the peak to peak amplitude may exceed that.)

Interesting.  The GDI-IRA500 (Grace Solo) has separate analog RCA line-outs and a headphone jack.  On the Solo it's possible to control the volume level for both the RCA and headphone outputs using the supplied remote.  The GDI-IRDT200 (Grace tuner) has analog RCA line-outs, a headphone jack and digital s/pdif optical and coaxial lines-out.  On the tuner it's only possible to control the headphone level with the remote.  So I guess the GDI-IRDT200 tuner comes closer to the ideal "standard" of not messing around with the line-out before amplification.  Still, it is convenient to have that additional way of controlling the volume as on the Solo.

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #10 on: 03:42:32 | 03 January, 2012 »
Yes, the Solo's ability to regulate volume via the RCA jacks is a very handy feature.
As for the Tune, according to what others have reported on this site, it may be a blessing in disguise that the Tune does not have the wireless standby option, in that the dongle is less stressed and thereby perhaps extending the overall working life of the receiver(?)
Even in the standby mode my Solo is warm (tepid) to the touch, which I assume means that it is mainly the dongle is generating heat 24/7.

PS: Grace is offering the Tune for under $150 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-Wireless-featuring-GDI-IRDT200/dp/B00395ZQMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325591887&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: 03:59:40 | 03 January, 2012 by Keenite »

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 05:08:51 | 03 January, 2012 »
That's odd.  Both of my Solos have wireless standby on and neither feel particularly warm.  Their wall-warts feel a little warmish, however. As it's now 18 degrees F outside a wee bit of warmth anywhere isn't unwelcome.