login

Author Topic: Revo Sale  (Read 11424 times)

Keenite

• Change is overrated
Revo Sale
« on: 01:47:40 | 09 August, 2016 »

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Re: Revo Sale
« Reply #1 on: 02:36:15 | 09 August, 2016 »
http://revo.co.uk/summer-sale/

Note that of the radios in the sale, only the SuperConnect and the PiXiS RX use the Frontier Silicon Venice 6.5 module and will receive an upgrade to receive BBC DASH format streams.

Also, the picture shown for the PiXiS RX is actually a PiXiS RS - the RS is the older, non-Frontier version; the RX looks the same but has a smaller screen and more controls.
EDIT: they've changed the picture.
« Last Edit: 03:19:35 | 09 August, 2016 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #2 on: 03:44:12 | 09 August, 2016 »
Any idea if the RX has a decent speaker? Apparently no remote other than smartphone app.
Assume they will ship to Germany for a price?

Dogmatix

« Reply #3 on: 05:20:07 | 09 August, 2016 »
The speaker is pretty good. The little joystick thingy is easy to use, too. And yes, no remote, but UNDOK is a reasonable substitute. There are ten presets in each mode (IR/FM/DAB+), accessible on the radio by pressing the "Presets" button and going down the list using the joystick thing, or directly on the UNDOK app. The power supply unit is a multi-regional affair, with swappable UK/Euro/US/AUS plug parts.

I have a PDF of the UK instruction manual; if you're interested, PM me your email address.

I think £80 is a pretty good price for this radio, and if I didn't have one already, I'd go for it, especially with the pound at about €1.17 at the moment. Certainly cheaper than the €199 that Media Markt in Alexa were asking...

« Last Edit: 06:02:28 | 10 August, 2016 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

drgeoff

« Reply #4 on: 05:36:05 | 09 August, 2016 »
I changed the country from UK to Germany and the delivery charge increased from £7 to £18.

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 05:41:50 | 09 August, 2016 »
I changed the country from UK to Germany and the delivery charge increased from £7 to £18.

Yes, they just told me they'll ship to Germany for £18. That makes a total of about €115 (plus whatever your bank overcharges for the exchange).

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #6 on: 09:56:36 | 10 August, 2016 »
http://revo.co.uk/summer-sale/
Thanks for this.
I've ordered a PiXiS RX to replace the horrible Pure One Flow which I have been tolerating since the BBC stream change fiasco.
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:20 | 10 August, 2016 »
You're welcome. Please get back to us when you get it and recount how you like it.
Close to €200 on German Amazon.

@Dogmatix:
Any interest in this for spare parts?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/REVO-Pico-Wifi-FM-Internet-Radio-in-weiss-RAR-/122072955571?hash=item1c6c1d7ab3:g:E9YAAOSwnQhXpEsl

« Last Edit: 10:25:42 | 10 August, 2016 by Keenite »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 12:24:01 | 10 August, 2016 »
27.50 GBP for shipping to Spain - gulp!
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #9 on: 12:53:36 | 10 August, 2016 »
27.50 GBP for shipping to Spain - gulp!

Only 10 pounds more to the USA.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Dogmatix

« Reply #10 on: 13:04:27 | 10 August, 2016 »
[...] recount how you like it.
Well, I quite like mine; it's a good replacement for the old AE radio.

Close to €200 on German Amazon.
Yes, Revo and Roberts radios are quite a bit more expensive here - that was the case even before the pound took its Brexit-induced nosedive.

On the positive side, the Pico Wifi has rechargeable batteries, and is splash-proof, both rare features among "legacy" Reciva radios. This particular one is also a rare white version. On the negative side, as a "legacy" radio it will never be able to receive the BBC DASH streams. It also has no preset selection or storage buttons on the radio, only on the remote (which is not mentioned in this Ebay auction - is it missing? That would explain that the seller says that the radio cannot remember equaliser settings, but does not mention the same of presets - without the remote, he cannot set or recall presets, so he wouldn't know if they, too, get forgotten). It also has the blue two-line display which has noticeable latency. To be made usable, this particular radio would need new batteries, and a firmware upgrade (to the "legacy enhanced" firmware), and the Sharpfin patch with edits to increase the number of presets (normally a mere five) and to allow storage and selection thereof on the radio (perhaps by redefining the 'browse' button to act a preset list button in internet radio mode). Either that, or the Barracuda module could be extracted for spare (after a firmware upgrade to cure its amnesia).

I have enough Reciva radios around here (been trying to sell a few, with only modest success), and spare modules, and I don't really have the time to play around with this one, so I really should not be interested, let alone bid. I really shouldn't.

On the other hand, having said that......
« Last Edit: 23:56:32 | 10 August, 2016 by Dogmatix »

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 14:28:11 | 10 August, 2016 »
I'm still convinced that LMS plus upnpbridge and/or airplaybridge is the best current option for internet radio fans.  I have several speakers running as players (eg. Sonos, Pioneer, Pure Jongos, and soon a Libratone Zipp).   Easy access to local music library, BBC iplayer with listen again, Deezer/Spotify etc.  All controllable via web browser, phone apps, or dedicated squeezebox controllers (such as the Touch, Radio, or Duet Controller).

Okay - not plug'n'play but not too difficult to set up for the average user

anotherbob

• ... Finding Gateway ...
« Reply #12 on: 07:15:04 | 25 August, 2016 »
You're welcome. Please get back to us when you get it and recount how you like it.

@Dogmatix:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/REVO-Pico-Wifi-FM-Internet-Radio-in-weiss-RAR-/122072955571?hash=item1c6c1d7ab3:g:E9YAAOSwnQhXpEsl
First thing to say is how much better the PIXIS RX is than the PURE ONE FLOW.
The PURE GUI is unacceptable with its tiny LCD screen and barely readable text. The method of accessing menus and making selections is a long way from intuitive, whereas the Revo has a larger clearer screen and anyone who has ever set a digital watch will soon get how to navigate the menus.
Two tiny irritations. 1) The joystick doesn't respond to a "long" touch, it needs one touch per letter when entering a search. 2) The telescopic aerial has no "clip" to the body of the radio.
As to it handling BBC Dash streams and Listen Again, I just got an email from Revo Support saying that they hope to release the upgrade next week.
ANOTHERBOB  
Squeezebox Touch. Squeezebox Radio. REVO Pixis RX. Monitor Audio Airstream 10. Auna IR-160. Soundmaster IR3000DAB

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 11:02:56 | 25 August, 2016 »

@Dogmatix:
First thing to say is how much better the PIXIS RX is than the PURE ONE FLOW.
The PURE GUI is unacceptable with its tiny LCD screen and barely readable text. The method of accessing menus and making selections is a long way from intuitive, whereas the Revo has a larger clearer screen and anyone who has ever set a digital watch will soon get how to navigate the menus.
Two tiny irritations. 1) The joystick doesn't respond to a "long" touch, it needs one touch per letter when entering a search. 2) The telescopic aerial has no "clip" to the body of the radio.
As to it handling BBC Dash streams and Listen Again, I just got an email from Revo Support saying that they hope to release the upgrade next week.

Next step?  Convert to squeezeplayer using upnpbridge!

Dogmatix

« Reply #14 on: 09:54:32 | 02 September, 2016 »

Oh, well, that didn't happen again. Maybe next week then....