login

Author Topic: Sharpfin install Via Linux  (Read 2162 times)

emsquared

• Listening Intently
Sharpfin install Via Linux
« on: 03:33:55 | 22 August, 2019 »
Hi all-just finally sharpfin'd my Vistron MX200i after all these years. Thought I'd clairify the process via linux rather than all the windows based guides. I know it's assumed that all linux users are tech geniuses but I'm fair to middling at best.

So assuming you've given your linux compy a fixed ip address as per the windows guides and you know your real (or any real) DNS server ip address you can proceed.

First off ignore the sharpfin patchserver available in many a linux repository as it asks for the patchfile as a url

So having downloaded the appropriate sharpfin patchserver file set for linux and extracted them to an appropriate place.
In my case I extracted the files to Downloads

So I then had a folder called radiopatch in my Downloads folder

Running the patchserver command from there without admin or root privilges will give you various bind and permission errors so this command needs to be run with elevated privileges.

So in my case I opened the terminal
and navigated to the radiopatch folder
by typing (and depending on where you extracted the radiopatch folder, your path may be different):

cd Downloads
cd radiopatch

Now run the patchserver with elevated privileges:

sudo ./patchserver

You will then be asked for your admin password to authenticate

enter the name of the test patchfile:

sharpfin-test.patch

Then specify your real DNS server ip address (in this case, for ease of remembering, the Google DNS)

Now you can change your network config on your reciva radio by specifying only one DNS server as the ip address of your linux computer as it is now temporarily acting as a DNS server

Restart your radio
You should see DNS lookups scrolling by now in your linux terminal window

Navigate to upgrade firmware on your radio and approve

The test patch will hopefully be successful

This should give your confidence to repeat the process with a new terminal window but this time when asked for a patchfile, specify the actual patchfile as shown in the radiopatch folder

In this case:

sharpfin-base_0.3.patch

After this has been successfully applied by once again choosing to update your firmware on your radio then your can re edit the network config on the radio to put back your real DNS server(s) address.

Reboot your radio and in a web browser enter the ip address of your radio to show the sharpfin web interface.

Job done.
Any suggestions to further clarify what I've written is always welcome.

With thanks to all those who made this option possible.

"Radio is a sound salvation"

drgeoff

Re: Sharpfin install Via Linux
« Reply #1 on: 08:37:12 | 22 August, 2019 »
See https://www.sharpfin.org/index.php/Sharpfin_Enhance_Pack for more about the Enhance Pack available via URL.
The following users thanked this post: emsquared

emsquared

• Listening Intently
« Reply #2 on: 09:22:13 | 22 August, 2019 »
Many thanks again. I’ve been using the old Grace Remote iOS app to control the radio on an old ipod touch so I’ll see how this goes as least it’ll probably work via any browser on my android smartphone.
"Radio is a sound salvation"

EastEriq

« Reply #3 on: 14:00:14 | 29 August, 2019 »
uh! Well the latest should be actually this, http://www.sharpfin.org/images/9/9b/Sharpfin-www_0.9.install, see my previous posts in the thread. I thought I had been the last one turning the light off.
« Last Edit: 14:35:21 | 29 August, 2019 by EastEriq »

peterkeet

Re: Sharpfin install Via Linux: sharpfin installed on Sonoro Elements w
« Reply #4 on: 13:52:29 | 26 September, 2020 »
I successfully Sharpfinned the Sonoro Elements-W on Sep 18 2020.

This is a brief report of the installation. 
Thanks to everybody who made this possible!

I installed
- the sharpfin-base_0.3.patch
- the www_09 install
- the enhance pack: Sharpfin_Enhance_Pack
- the sharpfin-lircd (0.2)

Being a lay-men, the documentation (PatchingTheRecivaRadio) and the you-tube instructions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRVQp1Ug7A) were very helpful, as well as the instructions and references on this forum page (sharpfin install via lunix).

The Radio is a Sonoro Mini Rocks, AU4101, which is the same as the Sonoro Elements-W.
firmware: V257-a-865-a-213, product code 923
I have Ununtu 18.04 on my IMAC (early 2008 with 275GB  SSD installed 2016).

1. Installation requires absence of a DNS server on the computer.  The patchserver was blocked with

dnsserver: unable to bind to socket - Address already in use
One of the servers would not start:

* Make sure you are not running a DNS server on this machine
 * Make sure you are not running a Web server on this machine
 * If patchserver was stopped, wait 2 minutes and try again

I interpreted this as if I was using an already used DNS server address the patchserver asked for, but (much) later I found out that is was the port 53 of my computer which was already used.
UBUNTU has apparently standard a DNS server on port 53, it was a new challenge to disable this.

solution found at: https: //www.linuxuprising.com/2020/07/ubuntu-how-to-free-up-port-53-used-by.html.

a) edit /etc/systemd/resolved.conf
Terminal:
sudo nano /etc/systemd/resolved.conf
uncomment (remove # from the front of the line) the DNS= line and the
DNSStubListener= line. Next, change the DNS= value in this file to the DNS server you
want to use (e.g. 127.0.0.1 to use a local proxy, 1.1.1.1 to use the Cloudflare DNS, etc.), and
also change the DNSStubListener= value from yes to no

b) Create a symbolic link for /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf with /etc/resolv.conf as the destination:
Terminal:
sudo ln -sf /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

c) restart computer

After this the patchserver worked.

2. The test patch was transferred without the expected “success! message on the radio screen, but the radio played as before after the test file was transferred to the radio. This behaviour (no messages on the radio-screen) was reported before (footnote on Radios page in Sharpfin.org). So I couldn’t be sure that patching the base wouldn’t break the radio.  It was a bit of a gamble to continue with the basepatch, but I did.

3. Also after transferring the base-patch (could see it being transferred on my terminal) no message on the screen appeared. Radio did not reboot. Switched the Radio of and on myself. Radio worked as before. Switched DHCP back to auto. Everything worked!

4. It's a miracle! after all these years. Thanks to everybody who worked on it ánd preserved the relevant documentation and patch files! I had to do some extra research to find all the relevant files as the links on sharpfin.org don’t function anymore. (before I found http://iradioforum.net/sharpfin/ which gave me later all the files)

6. Sonoro Elements-w is a  good radio (sensitive antennas for wifi and FM, good (mono) sound, equalizer) but has an OLED display, fading out gradually (as al OLEDS seem to do).  I found an old but working OLED display (SSD1303T10) and I replaced it. It works (for as long as it holds). 
My challenge now is to find a solution to monitor or mirror the radio screen on my computer before this OLED dies.