Author Topic: Philips Streamium question  (Read 1001 times)

Jaz

Philips Streamium question
« on: 09:49:49 | 10 June, 2020 »
I've had a network of Philips Streamium devices for some years now, and still like them a lot. these are the WAC/WAS7000 units that don't have internet radio capabilities. However, a little while ago I was given an NP1100 and a WAS6050  (that were otherwise destined for the bin) which apparently do. I tried to connect the 6050 to my WiFi, which worked, but then it asked for an email address. I typed mine in, and the device responded with something like 'email address unrecognised.

I took a flier, and registered for a Club Philips account at their website. I did this, verified the account and went back to the 6050. This time it accepted my email address and asked for a password. Unfortunately, when I entered the password the device simply said I'd got it wrong. Stumped, I dumped them back in their box and forgot about them... until now. Does anyone know of a way around this problem please?

drgeoff

Re: Philips Streamium question
« Reply #1 on: 10:50:41 | 10 June, 2020 »
I've had a network of Philips Streamium devices for some years now, and still like them a lot. these are the WAC/WAS7000 units that don't have internet radio capabilities. However, a little while ago I was given an NP1100 and a WAS6050  (that were otherwise destined for the bin) which apparently do. I tried to connect the 6050 to my WiFi, which worked, but then it asked for an email address. I typed mine in, and the device responded with something like 'email address unrecognised.

I took a flier, and registered for a Club Philips account at their website. I did this, verified the account and went back to the 6050. This time it accepted my email address and asked for a password. Unfortunately, when I entered the password the device simply said I'd got it wrong. Stumped, I dumped them back in their box and forgot about them... until now. Does anyone know of a way around this problem please?
I don't have a WAS6050 but I do have and still use a NP1100 which I got ages ago.  I don't remember the details of the registration process but page 19 of the 6050 manual https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/w/was6050_12/was6050_12_dfu_eng.pdf mentions receiving an email after entering an email address on the radio.  Perhaps that email gives you a "password" that you need to enter on the radio whereas you may have entered the password you used for the Club Philips account.
The following users thanked this post: Jaz

Jaz

« Reply #2 on: 11:34:52 | 10 June, 2020 »
That's interesting, mine came without manuals so that does explain a lot, thanks. Unfortunately no email was forthcoming which, in our age of in-built obsolescence, doesn't surprise me hugely! I'll try an email to Philips Customer Care, and see if anything arises from that. If the worst comes to the worst, the 6050s will still be useful, as they will talk to my WAC7000.

Gabba63

« Reply #3 on: 22:17:54 | 10 June, 2020 »
User manual page 22:
Register users for Internet radioThe Music Station allows to your register additional users under a separate email address and password.
Hama DIT2100MSBT

Jaz

« Reply #4 on: 15:40:34 | 11 June, 2020 »
Well, Philips were quick to respond... I can't quote my own initial message because it was sent via a web form, but it was pretty much as the opening post in this thread. The reply was pretty much what I expected:

In regards o your case we are sorry to inform you that your units were originally produced under License by Gibson, who unfortunately went bankrupt a few years ago.

The only available information we have on these units are as you see on the below link.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/WAS6050_05/streamium-free-internet-radio-4-speaker-system

We do hope you find the information you seek on these pages and hope you will spare a little time to participate in a small customer survey from us should this be forwarded to you in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Philips AVA Technical Support

Not really what I asked for. I tried to clarify:

Thank you for your reply. I am not, however, asking about the technical specifications for this device. What I am asking is how one goes about connecting this (or any other Streamium device) to the Philips website in order to receive internet radio service. This would also apply to other devices, e.g. the NP1100.

From the page you quoted:
"Streamium comes with thousands of free Internet radio stations. Now you can stay abreast of all kinds of music worldwide. Connect your Streamium to the Internet and listen to your favourite online programmes on your audio system without having to turn on your PC."

There is no problem connecting to my WiFi, however the device then asks for an email address and password before I can receive internet radio. Where do these come from please?

To which they replied:

I am again sorry, and I am being perfectly honest, I do not know. I have never had any training in these units, I simply do not know them. And I do not know anyone here who has been here so long.

You will have to read the information I sent you as it is all we have concerning these units.

So nobody knows nuthin!

« Last Edit: 15:47:02 | 11 June, 2020 by Jaz »