Author Topic: Replacing internal Wifi dongle with USB-LAN adapter in Petite: possible?  (Read 5742 times)

zeewier

• Administrator
The Avox Indio Petite does not have an ethernet LAN port. At the location of my Petite (running on the latest official firmware) the WiFi is a bit unreliable so I am considering to replace the internal USB WiFi adapter with a USB-LAN adapter that was supplied by Avox some time ago and has been gathering dust in a cupboard most of the time. Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
I don't have an Avox, but had success connecting the Grace Microsystem to ethernet using the USB adapter.  I've since reverted to wi-fi because I moved it farther away than the ethernet cable could reach.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

zeewier

• Administrator
If I am not mistaken, the Microsystem officially supports a USB-ethernet adapter plugged into the USB port. However, the Petite lacks an external USB port, so I would have to open the box and replace the USB WiFi dongle with an ethernet adapter. This kind of surgery is obviously not officially supported, but I am wondering whether that might work. One of my concerns is that the radio might not have the correct driver for the USB-LAN adapter. Hence my question whether somebody has tried this before.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Yes, you are correct.  The microsystem does support the USB-to-ethernet adapter and has an external USB port.  So I have no idea whether replacing the wi-fi dongle with an ethernet adapter might work.  Good luck.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

drgeoff

If the Avox-supplied adaptor was for another Reciva model I would have high confidence that yours will have the driver in its firmware.  However I am also reasonably certain you will need to modify the relevant configuration  file. That requires Sharpfin and possibly knowledge of some parameter values which can vary between models.

zeewier

• Administrator
Thanks, I will open the case of the Petite, unsolder the WiFi dongle and connect the ethernet adapter. See what happens (I haven't used Sharpfin before, and maybe the firmware v265-d-254-a-269-a-138 may not be sharpfinnable anyway).

drgeoff

I compared the config files for two of my radios, both running the 'legacy enhanced' firmware.  One is Wi-Fi only, the other is Wi-Fi and ethernet.  The following lines are in the latter but not the former:

Option:
wired-ethernet-connector

Option:
wired-ethernet-pin

Kernel Module: reciva_usb usb_config=1

I'm not sure if there has ever been an ethernet only model.

If your experiment doesn't work straight off, I doubt there is anything you can twiddle.  The v265 firmwares are not Sharpfinnable and I don't know any other method of accessing the software.

Perhaps trying to add a better aerial to the WiFi dongle would be a better bet or just get one of those WiFi repeater things.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
The Petite is definitely not sharpfinnable. As far as I know, there is no way of editing configs in any radio with v265 or v266 series firmware. And the legacy v257 does not work in the Petite (I tried putting a beta'd Barracuda in a Petite once) because it lacks the right display and audio drivers for the hardware. Maybe the Avox or Grace tech people have a way of editing configs to test new ideas, but they certainly are not going to tell us. This is a great pity, because I have a couple of tweaks I would like to apply to my Avoxes....

It is possible that the Petite does happen have the required drivers and config settings - you'll just have to suck it and see. Proof of the pudding, and all that. After all, it worked with my old AEs and an FA120 USB-LAN dongle without having to change the relevant settings.

Let us know either way, though....
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

zeewier

• Administrator
WiFi reception of the Petite has improved after moving the wireless router to another room, so the problem seems to be solved for the moment. But I am still curious whether an Avox USB-ethernet adapter will work, so when I have a spare moment (or rather a couple of moments...) I will open the Petite and fit the adapter. I will report the results in due course.

anything