Author Topic: Using USB port to stream audio via bluetooth - possible?  (Read 3625 times)

zeewier

• Administrator
Using USB port to stream audio via bluetooth - possible?
« on: 09:28:01 | 08 November, 2016 »
Two of my Avox radios have a USB port. Their intended use is to play audio files from a USB storage device, or to add wired ethernet capability using a suitable USB-ethernet adapter. Can the USB port also be used to stream audio via a USB-bluetooth adapter to a bluetooth speaker?

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Re: Using USB port to stream audio via bluetooth - possible?
« Reply #1 on: 10:01:08 | 08 November, 2016 »
Two of my Avox radios
Want another one? ;-)

Can the USB port also be used to stream audio via a USB-bluetooth adapter to a bluetooth speaker?
I very much doubt it. I don't recall any Reciva radio having output via USB. Perhaps a Bluetooth adaptor with a 3.5mm jack plug for the audio out / headphone socket would do the trick?
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 04:02:33 | 09 November, 2016 »
Did you buy all of the remaining stock when Avox ceased trading? ;) How many are there left in your attic or basement?

I agree that a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the 3.5mm headphone socket is probably the best (and perhaps only) way forward. The supplied or built-in speakers of the Avox TMA-1 and Grand have their limitations which could be overcome by streaming the audio to a decent separate powered speaker, such as e.g. the Soundlink Mini (https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii.html#ProductTabs_tab1). A Bluetooth connection would be nice but is not strictly necessary as a cable with a 3.5mm plug on each end could also do the trick.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #3 on: 02:03:17 | 10 November, 2016 »
How many are there left in your attic or basement?

Well......
I have a Classic which I won in their Christmas competition, Sharpfinned and edited to use the bigger remote and have more presets; a Color which has a dodgy rotary encoder (it sometime skips when scrolling); a TMA1 with a dented front corner; a Link which I never used much; and a Grand which I nave now replaced at work with a Roberts 93i. I did have a Petite briefly but I sent it back, and I once butchered a Mini (mark 1) and squeezed it into an antique-style radio casing. I'll accept sensible offers for the Color, TMA, Link or Grand.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 11:30:07 | 10 November, 2016 »
Two of my Avox radios have a USB port. Their intended use is to play audio files from a USB storage device, or to add wired ethernet capability using a suitable USB-ethernet adapter. Can the USB port also be used to stream audio via a USB-bluetooth adapter to a bluetooth speaker?

In theory, yes, no reason why not.

In reality, the radios lack both the required Bluetooth driver and the software to pipe the rendered stream to the Bluetooth chip.

I doubt you would get very far with sharpfin - you'd probably need to replace the kernel and the media player. Your best bet would be to replace the media player with something that shovelled the output down the USB line and then hook it up to something which can receive that and render it to Bluetooth.

Alternatively, there are devices you can hook up to your line-out and broadcast Bluetooth from there, but I suspect you wouldn't have as much fun doing that.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

anything