Author Topic: bbc radio internet stations  (Read 586 times)

diddy

bbc radio internet stations
« on: 03:01:13 | 02 June, 2021 »
 i've noticed that suddenly the bbc internet radio stations on my ruark audio r2mk3 & roberts 93i are all showing a bit rate of only 96kbps.my squeezebox touch shows them all at 320kbps. my reason for buying both the ruark & roberts was the fact that they were able to play the high quality 320kbps mpeg dash streams across all stations.

i have contacted the bbc who claim that only radio 3 is broadcast at 320kbps with all other stations using.they say, 128kbps.

in view of the fact that it's the ruark & roberts that are only playing the lower quality 96kbps streams an issue with the silicon frontier module in them?

diddy

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: bbc radio internet stations
« Reply #1 on: 03:48:24 | 02 June, 2021 »
I listen in the US. Although it's been a while since I used a direct BBC feed, I believe they've only been available at 96kbps for some time.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 06:20:03 | 02 June, 2021 »
FWIW: Here in the UK my Grace Digital Mondo Elite which is designed for the US market plays BBC Radio 3 at 128 kbps MP3. The European Avox Indio TMA-1 (Reciva based) offers two different streams: 320kbps AAC and 128 MP3. There is no sign of a 96kbps stream on either radio.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #3 on: 06:21:35 | 02 June, 2021 »
The BBC Radio 3 320kbps stream is only available within the UK. Outside the UK, you only get 96kbps. Radios 2, 4 and 5 are also 96kbps outside the UK.

There are other stations streaming at 320kbps, for example, Linn Jazz, Linn Radio and Linn Classical. '98.7 WFMT' (Chicago) is at 256.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #4 on: 06:37:33 | 02 June, 2021 »
FWIW: Here in the UK my Grace Digital Mondo Elite which is designed for the US market plays BBC Radio 3 at 128 kbps MP3.

In the UK, can you play the 320kbps HLS stream for BBC 3 on the Grace Mondo Elite radio by adding to my streams http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8  ?
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: zeewier

diddy

« Reply #5 on: 07:14:11 | 02 June, 2021 »
many thanks for all the prompt replies. i'm in the uk but even the radio 3 stream is only showing 96kbps. on the basis that all the streams outside the uk are only 96kbps it would seem these are the streams that for some reason my 2 radios are using but why  the sudden change i can't imagine.

Natural Sound

« Reply #6 on: 09:10:03 | 02 June, 2021 »
many thanks for all the prompt replies. i'm in the uk but even the radio 3 stream is only showing 96kbps. on the basis that all the streams outside the uk are only 96kbps it would seem these are the streams that for some reason my 2 radios are using but why  the sudden change i can't imagine.

Has your internet quality degraded? Some streaming services automatically detect your optimal streaming speed. I'm not saying this is your problem. Just offering a possible explanation.
The following users thanked this post: blueberryman

diddy

« Reply #7 on: 10:35:19 | 02 June, 2021 »
I may have an answer to the problem. I emailed both Ruark audio & roberts radio with the problem. Robert’s replied quite quickly saying they are aware of the fact that their radios are suddenly streaming the non uk streams and the problem is their end. As my Ruark is doing the same thing and has the same frontier silicone module as the Robert’s thereby lies the problem. As far as I know neither set has had any software updates I can’t understand why this should happen.

diddy

« Reply #8 on: 07:26:29 | 05 June, 2021 »
well it's good news and bad news,both my ruark audio & roberts internet radios are now streaming bbc radio 3 @ 320kbps BUT all other bbc national & local stations are still using the non uk 96kbps streams.prior to this they were all streaming at the higher 320kbps bit rate.the other bbc national & local stations are showing,on my laptop,as streaming at the higher rate of  320kbps. i have emailed both ruark & roberts to ask if this,obvoiusly,needs a second look.

i will post with any replies that i receive

diddy

« Reply #9 on: 03:52:32 | 07 June, 2021 »
pleased to report that all bbc stations here in the uk are now showing streaming at 320kbps

The following users thanked this post: ericf3