login

Author Topic: Roberts WM201 or Grace Solo anyone?  (Read 255 times)

dh

• Former Reciva Engineer
Roberts WM201 or Grace Solo anyone?
« on: 13:42:23 | 22 June, 2021 »
Does anyone here have a Roberts WM201 or Grace Solo that would otherwise be binned - happy to re-home them for cost of postage and a little something for your troubles.
Views my own, not my previous employer's. I'll help where I can but this is not an official support channel.

zeewier

• Administrator
Re: Roberts WM201 or Grace Solo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 14:34:17 | 22 June, 2021 »
I have a WM201 (located in UK). It hasn't been binned yet since I was planning to use it with a Chromecast Audio via AUX IN but I am currently using the Chromecast with the Avox TMA-1 which has a better sound quality. So the WM201 is redundant.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #2 on: 04:52:21 | 23 June, 2021 »
Does anyone here have a Roberts WM201 or Grace Solo that would otherwise be binned - happy to re-home them for cost of postage and a little something for your troubles.

I have two WM201's which would be heading for the local recycling centre. Shipping to the UK from here would be €26.90 for one, €34.99 for both (or sterling equivalent transferred to my UK account). I don't know what import duties would apply.

If interested, please let me know asap.

EDIT: one of them has v257-a-865-a-479, is Sharpfinned, and configs edited to increase presets and to use nice Avox remote (supplied). The other has v257-a-865-a-476, has been factory-resetted, does not (afaik) have Sharpfin and uses original remote (supplied). Both work.

EDIT: Sorry, in the meantime both my Robertses have been snapped up.
« Last Edit: 01:55:22 | 05 July, 2021 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

jpaul

« Reply #3 on: 21:13:03 | 30 June, 2021 »
How much to ship these to Canada?

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 01:34:02 | 01 July, 2021 »

I will find out but be aware that the radio requires 230V 50Hz AC power, there is no way to change this. I don't know if the internal transformer can be adjusted to other voltages, I doubt it.

Edit
Cheapest shipping from UK (Super Economy, 5+ Day Delivery) will be £36.28.

Dogmatix

« Reply #5 on: 02:15:00 | 01 July, 2021 »

Shipping to Canada from here would be €37.99 for one, €51.99 for both. Plus you may have to pay Canadian import duties.

And, as Zeewier points out, these models are rated 230V 50Hz. I just tried one on a 110V step-down transformer, it does not work. You would need a mains power step-up adapter. This would still leave the question of operation with 60Hz. In theory this should not matter, but you never know.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

jpaul

« Reply #6 on: 11:48:53 | 03 July, 2021 »
Yup, I know these are 230v/50 Hz units. Does not perturb me. I think it is now 60 years since I converted a BC-454 [aka ARC5 Command] receiver from 28vdc to 110 vac - and I am sure I won't have to rewire the filament chain in the Roberts ;-) radio. And many more since then.  And if it actually has a power xformer rather than some arcane switching power supply, so much the better. 

FWIW, the power supply in my Sanyo R227 [with a weird switching PS] gave up the ghost some time ago and, being lazy, I just used an old external CD power supply - it needed both 5 and 12v - and had it fixed in 10-15 minutes. Everything worked fine for a few months and then I started to get weird things happening to some of my X-10 devices.  Fortunately, I have an X-10 signal analyzer and discovered the re-purposed power supply was creating a lot of 120 khz noise and interfering with the X-10 signals. So a new external PS got installed in even less time and the first one hit the trashcan. Didn't even have to drag out an oscilloscope. I now routinely plug non-X-10 controlled devices into a power bar with .25 mH chokes in the line - the reactance at 120 kHz is only 350 ohms but it does the job splendidly.  Please forgive the off-topic comment, but someone may find it useful.

Does anyone know anything about the WM201? Was it made in the UK or China? Looks like a very nice radio.  I'll take them. How do I contact you? I don't see a PM option but I am new here. Can I just post my email address in this forum or is that not allowed?

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 11:59:37 | 03 July, 2021 »
On the radio it doesn't say where it is made, and there is no mention of the country of origin in the manual either.

@jpaul do you want @Dogmatix 's radio(s) or mine, or all of them?

On the left you will see clickable icons (bottom line) to send an email or a personal message to the other forum member.

Dogmatix

« Reply #8 on: 16:21:13 | 03 July, 2021 »
Does anyone know anything about the WM201? Was it made in the UK or China?
These radios were also sold by Sangean as the WFR-20, albeit with slightly different configuration files. Roberts have coöperated with Sangean on other models, too, and I believe that the radios were made by Sangean in Korea, but I could be wrong.

Now I should point out here that Sangean did sell their version in the USA and presumably Canada too (obviously with the correct power rating), and there are some going on ebay.com. The sellers do not seem to be aware of the coming demise of Reciva (it is not mentioned in the descriptions) and so are still asking upwards of 70 US dollars.

Looks like a very nice radio.
Indeed they are, but more importantly, they sound really good, too.

I'll take them. How do I contact you? I don't see a PM option but I am new here. Can I just post my email address in this forum or is that not allowed?
Posting your email address is not a good idea, but there is a messaging feature in "My Messages" near the top of the screen.

jpaul

« Reply #9 on: 16:23:17 | 03 July, 2021 »
Zeewier, Thank you for pointing out the email and PM icons - sorry to be so obtuse [possibly explained by old age & senility]

I just checked and 52 euros is about 76 $Cdn whereas 36.28 UK is about 62 $Cdn, so I will just opt for the 2 from @Dogmatix.

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #10 on: 04:31:37 | 05 July, 2021 »

I have a working 110v Sangean WFR20 - which certainly looks identical to the Roberts - here in the US if you're interested.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

Dogmatix

« Reply #11 on: 11:09:10 | 05 July, 2021 »
Just sent my two Roberts WM-201s to Canada.

anything