Author Topic: BBC iPlayer (Live and On Demand) using Logitech Media Server  (Read 2740 times)

castalla

• Administrator
BBC iPlayer (Live and On Demand) using Logitech Media Server
« on: 17:58:30 | 08 December, 2015 »
LMS can initially be a little daunting for the non-geek.  It can be installed on a variety of systems (Windows, Linux, selected NAS devices).  Once installed, the first step is to configure the basic LMS system.   

Bear in mind that LMS offers 2 main features:  a music server for your music library, and also a streaming server for various services, such as Deezer, Spotify, etc.  The services are usually offered by means of server plugins - some are installed by default (eg, Tunein), others require the user to actively install the plugin (eg. iPlayer)

The latest iPlayer plugin (which provides live and on-demand DASH streams) requires a separate installation by the user - a relatively easy process.

I'm happy to advise on how to set up the LMS system for radio streaming use.

----------------------------------------------------------

In order to use LMS you also need a 'squeezebox' player.   The original players are all discontinued and difficult to find at reasonable prices.   There are alternatives which all work well as players.  Here's my list of alternatives:

1 Sonos speakers - expensive but excellent quality

2.UPnP renderers - hit and miss, some work well, others don't work or require a degree of configuration.  Two which work are the Pioneer xw-sma speakers, and the Rocki streamer

3. Chromecast (original) and Chromecast Audio - excellent cheap 'squeezebox' players

4. SB Player (android app) - a bit fiddly to configure - works on tablets, smartphones, and on Amazon Fire TV (box & stick)

5. Reciva radios - very problematical - difficult to configure - some work, others don't.

-------------------------------

Ask if you need advice.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Keenite

• Change is overrated
Re: BBC iPlayer (Live and On Demand) using Logitech Media Server
« Reply #1 on: 01:05:34 | 09 December, 2015 »
Pardon my ignorance, but how is the Chromecast used here? Is the radio audio cast from a smartphone to a wireless device?

drgeoff

« Reply #2 on: 03:01:16 | 09 December, 2015 »
Pardon my ignorance, but how is the Chromecast used here? Is the radio audio cast from a smartphone to a wireless device?
No smartphone per se involved.  The user via a browser on any device on the same LAN as the LMS selects what audio is to be played and selects the Chromecast as the audio sink.  The rest is done by magic.

No radio app needed on the smartphone, tablet or computer that the browser is on.  No audio media flowing to or from that smartphone or tablet.  The browser and LMS can be on the same device but that is not a requirement.

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 05:48:57 | 09 December, 2015 »
Internet
--------              ------------------>          LMS on PC         ---------------->  Chromecast     
BBC servers                                      ---------------------                                Sonos, etc
Deezer                                                              !
Tunein, etc                                                       !
                                                 ------------------------------------   
                                                 smartphone               Web-browser
                                                 tablet              OR          controller
                                                 controller
                                                 app

castalla

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 15:10:15 | 16 December, 2015 »
Pure One Flow
---------------

If anyone has a Pure One Flow (and hates the awful menu interface AND wants a useable Listen Again experience) then it works with the LMS UPnPBridge plugin.  I'm going to ask the author to add the Pure configuration to the setuo settings which should make installation a little easier.

You can control the Pure remotely usng one of the available android.iphone controller apps, via the LMS webgui, or from another SB device such as the Touch or Radio