Author Topic: Roberts WM 201 problems  (Read 295 times)

PaulW

Roberts WM 201 problems
« on: 10:16:20 | 19 August, 2021 »
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a Roberts WM 201 from a secondhand shop. I made a connection via ethernet cable to my router and switched on.
The previous owner had probably 10 Jazz channels stored and these all played fine. I then clicked onto Genre and regardless of what I selected it would say, "connecting," and then fail and retry to no avail. I tried a firmware update and received the message, "no updates available."
I was able to connect to my wifi, and the same thing happened.
Next, I tried a factory reset. I now have BBC R1 listed and then empty presets. My problem hasn't been solved though and the unit is still giving the same message when I try to load anything.
I'm living in the UK and have Virgin Fibre Broadband, (which is very poor!)
Can any of you knowledgeable folk help please, or have I bought  lemon? I hope not because the quality was pretty good when I heard it playing.
Regards Paul.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Re: Roberts WM 201 problems
« Reply #1 on: 12:08:19 | 19 August, 2021 »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid that you've bought a pig-in-a-poke.  At the moment you can still add stations to "favourites" by going to rotel.reciva.com (or similar reciva brand sites) but after the 6th of September, the reciva servers will be disconnected.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: PaulW

drgeoff

« Reply #2 on: 01:47:10 | 20 August, 2021 »
For more info read the long thread at http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2918.0

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 01:58:01 | 20 August, 2021 »
I am also in the UK (and a happy VM broadband customer) and my WM-201 is no longer able to access the Reciva servers ('Station List unavailable') but stations stored as presets on the radio still work and so does My Stuff. So if you can manage to register the radio on a Reciva or Reciva brand site as Solo2 has suggested you should be able to populate My Stuff with stations, a selection of which (up to 12) you can store as presets on the radio. Do this before the Reciva servers shut down. There is an expectation that presets on the radio will continue to work after the server shutdown as long as the station's streaming URL does not change.

g121

« Reply #4 on: 08:17:03 | 20 August, 2021 »
isn't Serviio an option to keep the radio functional long term? ..

from http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2962.msg26244#msg26244
Quote from: Natural Sound on 11:23:18 | 08 March, 2021
dif, you might want to try Serviio. They have an Apple version for free download. It's pretty easy to set up and the author is still supporting it.

https://serviio.org/download

Cool .. thanks for the heads-up : )) ..

Just loaded up Serviio on my always-on Windows desktop.

& got online streams running on both my old C.Crane & new Ocean Digital wifi radios.

Thank You.

p.s. a handy reference link ..
https://swling.com/blog/2020/11/the-reciva-internet-radio-station-aggregator-closing-down/#comment-662118
Modify message

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: 13:06:55 | 20 August, 2021 »
Thanks everyone for your help.

jpaul

« Reply #6 on: 13:47:40 | 23 August, 2021 »
Paul,
I suggest you go to the Grace portal  https://myradios.gracedigital.com/ and REGISTER your radio.  Go to the Register option on the radio and record your serial number, then use that to register it at the Grace site.  As soon as you are registered, you can look at the MY STATIONS option at the Grace site, and even though you don't have a Grace radio, it will allow you to add stations. When you click on the  ADD STATION at the right, you will be presented with a box where you will select the GENRE of stations that interest you.  The Grace site will only show you the first 100 stations of that Genre, so you may need to be more selective and specify a Geographical location to see more stations. By judicious use of the location option you will likely be able to discover up to 100 stations of interest.  Add whatever interests you to the MY STATIONS list and when you return to your radio and power it off and on again, you will be able to get the Reciva MY STATIONS list on your radio.

I found the Grace site somewhat easier to navigate and use than the Rotel or the old Reciva site.  Do it quick as Reciva may disappear Sept 6 as reported elsewhere.  And look at the Sharpfin material - having web access to the radio presets will greatly improve the value of the radio.
« Last Edit: 11:42:40 | 24 August, 2021 by jpaul »

mnassour

« Reply #7 on: 16:59:40 | 29 August, 2021 »
Wonderful.  Now I'm confused!  :)

I've dealt with the various doors into the old Reciva site from Rotel, etc.  But this is the first time I've fooled with the Grace Digital site.  I went ahead, registered my Sangean (Roberts WM201 clone) and viola!  I ERASED everything I had programmed into the Reciva website.

Wonderful.  De-register the radio at Grace, re-register over at Rotel/Reciva and everything's back.

So the Grace site must be separate from the original Reciva site.   So I guess my question is...will the Grace website be around longer than what remains of Reciva?  If so, then I'm more than willing to hand-transfer all my station lists to it.  But if not, then what's the bother?

And once again, when these website(s) are gone for good, I'm assuming that anything under "My Stations" or "My Streams" will not be loading any long and that the only thing we will have left are the local presets?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
« Last Edit: 19:12:22 | 29 August, 2021 by mnassour »

drgeoff

« Reply #8 on: 00:45:00 | 30 August, 2021 »
And once again, when these website(s) are gone for good, I'm assuming that anything under "My Stations" or "My Streams" will not be loading any long and that the only thing we will have left are the local presets?
Correct.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #9 on: 09:11:48 | 30 August, 2021 »
will the Grace website be around longer than what remains of Reciva?  If so, then I'm more than willing to hand-transfer all my station lists to it.  But if not, then what's the bother?

I'm surprised that Grace hasn't already taken down their site. I know that they planned on it.  No, it won't do anything after Qualcomm finally switches off the Reciva servers.  In other words, don't bother.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

mnassour

« Reply #10 on: 18:23:04 | 30 August, 2021 »
Oh wow, that's what I was afraid of.  My Sangean/Roberts 201 has a dozen presets, so it's worth keeping.  But I have three(!) Livios which have only five each.  That's almost not worth fooling with.  I appreciate the info, folks!

anything