login

Author Topic: No PCs found  (Read 3852 times)

revrob

No PCs found
« on: 04:48:14 | 01 April, 2011 »
Glad to have found this forum, and a bit fed up at being "dumped" by Reciva.

BT Internet Radio using latest beta Reciva firmware.

I regularly find that although the Radio functions of my radio work fine, if I try and use Media Player, I get the message "No PCs found" after scanning has occurred.

If I check my router interface the network appears fine.
The computer I am trying to access has internet and network access.
The radio is listed on the network too.

But unless I reboot EVERYTHING the radio just won't find the Wifi connected PC.
Powering down the radio and the rebooting the router don't solve the problem - only a warm reboot of the "lost" computer does the trick.
This has only recently started happening.

Is it something to do with my radio or one of those Windows network frustrations?

Windows XP Home SP3 Desktop on Wifi connection
BT Homehub 2.0 Type B router

Many thanks.

revrob

Re: No PCs found
« Reply #1 on: 06:02:01 | 01 April, 2011 »
Thanks for the reply.

Couple of queries - presumably if I do a factory reset I will still collect my up to date beta radio firmware on a restart? I'm a bit nervous now that Reciva is wobbling all over the place?

I really don't like factory resetting the radio as I then have to dial in a 63 character Wifi key!

Rebooting the computer fixed it today - so I'm not sure what "old" bit of information the radio might have been relying on.

Secondly - until this started happening a week or two ago, my experience was that streaming from my external hard disk with the Windows via the radio was actually working much much better - it used to take ages to read the cache file especially if I had burned a new CD to the folder - whereas it is much better now.

I have tried Orb/Upnp in the past, when I really was finding Windows sharing problematic - but quite honestly had as many glitches with that as I did with the Windows share system. And I was a bit worried about the privacy aspect.

I'm inclined to think it is my router not handling the DHCP leasing properly or something - there are one or two glitches in the interface on the router where it shows multiple instances of devices instead of cancelling them when they are switched off. All devices are set to use fixed internal IP addresses.

stevec5000

« Reply #2 on: 08:25:09 | 01 April, 2011 »
Windows XP Home SP3 Desktop is your problem.  I could never get Media Player to with XP but it works fine using Windows 7.  I don't know about the rebooting but if you upgrade you should be fine.  Of course Win7 brings a lot of new problems you might not want to deal with so you might want to stick with rebooting.  Right after installing Win7 it did a lot of Urgent Security Updates that killed it and made the hard drive unusable so I had to reformat the drive and reinstall it all over again but turn off Updates this time.  When I first tried the Win 7 beta a couple of years ago it didn't have any drivers for my hardware but I was surprised to find that everything worked this time although I did have to install drivers for the video and sound to get full functionality. 

revrob

« Reply #3 on: 09:46:12 | 01 April, 2011 »
OK thanks to all. I think I'll pass on the Windows 7 upgrade thanks - I can't afford it!
Router is an ISP supplied one so is hard coded to the ISP.

I'll think about the readio reset when I've got the time to patiently input that Wifi key accurately.

Thanks again. Good to know this forum is here - thanks to those who set it up.

BTW - have you submitted the forum url to the Open Directory dmoz.org? it's a great way to get good google rankings as they use the dmoz data dump.If you send me a PM with details I might be able to make a submission for you via the editors forum but I can't influence whether it is accepted or how quickly it it is included. I suspect this is probably the best Cat
http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Radio/Resources/Guides/

stevec5000

« Reply #4 on: 15:53:09 | 01 April, 2011 »
You can find some pretty good sales too.  I got a 3 license pack of Win 7 from Amazon for $99. So far I've installed it 4 times just trying to get it working though.

drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: 20:18:46 | 01 April, 2011 »
Glad to have found this forum, and a bit fed up at being "dumped" by Reciva.

BT Internet Radio using latest beta Reciva firmware.

I regularly find that although the Radio functions of my radio work fine, if I try and use Media Player, I get the message "No PCs found" after scanning has occurred.

If I check my router interface the network appears fine.
The computer I am trying to access has internet and network access.
The radio is listed on the network too.

But unless I reboot EVERYTHING the radio just won't find the Wifi connected PC.
Powering down the radio and the rebooting the router don't solve the problem - only a warm reboot of the "lost" computer does the trick.
This has only recently started happening.

Is it something to do with my radio or one of those Windows network frustrations?

Windows XP Home SP3 Desktop on Wifi connection
BT Homehub 2.0 Type B router

Many thanks.

Did the "no PCs found" problem start when you put the beta firmware on the radio?  If yes then see https://forum.reciva.com/read.php?6,59861,61917#msg-61917 and my subsequent posts in that thread.  In https://forum.reciva.com/read.php?6,59861,61951#msg-61951 I reported my finding that changing only the firmware (with NO other changes whatsoever to anything else) would make this problem appear or disappear.  I was never able to resolve this but suspected it was all down to the mysteries of Browse Masters and related vodoo.  I gave up on using Windows shares.

Achernar

« Reply #6 on: 02:23:19 | 02 April, 2011 »
I've always had that same problem with shares. As the radio didn't find the shares of my Fritz!Box router* I gave it a try with a Win XP (pro) SP3 PC (NTFS). Despite any effort - the radio always didn't find the PC or the share.

But trying again now - without having done anything new, unexpectedly the PC was there after a short scan and I could set the user to scan for folders - it did! But just now it even does work with reset (no) user and password.

There have been two new files in /mnt/config/:

media_mount.txt containing

Server: \\PCNAME
Share: SHARENAME

and (obviously not needed and deleted later by 'reset user')

samba_auth.txt_PCNAME containing

username=USER
password=PASS

The PC is a member of a non standard workgroup, in the 'folder options' the 'simple file sharing' checkbox is empty, the properties of the shared folder gave full access to the group EVERONE in all aspects. But the FULL ACCESS to the share could later be deactivated without any drawback.

The radio needs full access of EVERYONE in the shared folder (if NTFS file system) to write, change and delete it's media cache file there (for instance .reciva_media_cache_00012345_en_GB_v600-a-311-a-560, the serial number inside), but the share's security may or may not include FULL ACCESS.

There might be other files containing some hints (for the radio and me ;)), but I didn't find them up to now. I even 'umounted'  the share and removed the mount point in the radio. Despite that it does work again (cold booted, scanned for PCs & folders), without an explicit user. It's a miracle...

*) Fritz doesn't announce the shares. Accessing them with a PC requires typing the full UNC path. So it's not the radio to be blamed for it - but RECIVA could have given the opportunity to enter ...eeehmm ...'dial in' a path.

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #7 on: 05:11:01 | 02 April, 2011 »
BTW - have you submitted the forum url to the Open Directory dmoz.org? it's a great way to get good google rankings as they use the dmoz data dump.If you send me a PM with details I might be able to make a submission for you via the editors forum but I can't influence whether it is accepted or how quickly it it is included. I suspect this is probably the best Cat
http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Radio/Resources/Guides/

Thanks revrob. I've submitted via the normal channels ... let's see what happens.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge