Author Topic: Onboard Sharpfin streaming media server for Reciva radios  (Read 698 times)

dif

Onboard Sharpfin streaming media server for Reciva radios
« on: 10:25:30 | 18 April, 2021 »
As far as I'm aware this is the first new software for the Sharpfin project in over 10 years - developing this was in response to the closing down of Reciva later this month. As with anything in Sharpfin use this at your own risk!

Onboard Sharpfin streaming media server for Reciva radios: http://www.megapico.co.uk/sharpfin/mediaserver.html.
Radios: Acoustic Energy AE17 & Logik IR100
The following users thanked this post: LesCornwall, audley, peterkeet

peterkeet

Re: Onboard Sharpfin streaming media server for Reciva radios
« Reply #1 on: 13:41:53 | 20 April, 2021 »
Tested on April 19, 2021 on LENCO IR2100B, (HW config598, Service Pack 257-a-865-a-476) .

Installation took less then 3 minutes. Could play stations included in the add on immediately. I was able to upload and play a station. Will continue testing, also on my AEG 4430 and Sonoro AU4101

btw: Of course, everything depends on whether the Barracuda module still starts after the Reciva server is shut down. In my opinion, this is necessary to establish a WIFI/LAN connection. Dogmatix wrote that before "It is as yet unknown how long a Reciva radio will operate when it can no longer find the gateway and download its regular token"

But I'm very happy with this 'add on' and giving it a try!

David thanks a lot!

Ptr

update April 20, 2021
1. tested om AEG IR4430 (HWconfig 695, service pack 257-a-865-a-476): works very good! Installing is a piece of cake (on radios with the Sharpfin enhance pack  :-[ ) I could add some new stations myself.

2. Haven´t mastered yet adding all stations I want to add. Might be wrong http address, figuring it out.

3. Strange behaviour LENCO IR 2100B: (could not reproduce it yet): <UPNP-servers> did not start, but gave strange screens or restarted connecting to WIFI. (screens like : /web/cds-event, service,  g/ , event SubUrl, iccs/1.6.25,  etc...)
I deleted one of the folders I added to the Radio, stopped the Sharpfin web server on my computer, restarted the radio (power off) and everything was OK again.   ???
tbc

internetradios in use: medion  p85023 (2013) - medion p85035 (2015) - HAMA dir3110 (2016) -2* Sonoro Elements-W (2020)
for experimenting: LENCO 2100B (2021), AEG 4430 (2021)

dif

« Reply #2 on: 01:36:28 | 21 April, 2021 »
Those messages look like internal start-up messages from the media server which should not usually be visible to users! /web/cds-event is an address on the internal UPNP media server that the radio looks at to find stations. 1.6.25 is the version number of the UPNP library which supports the process.

Where those on the station management webpage screen? Or on the radio front panel screen?

When you upload/delete station lists or create/remove folders for storing stations this makes the media server re-read the folders to register the new or removed stations available. It sounds like this didn't read the new stations properly. Do you have a copy of the station m3u file that you were loading on? I could try it and see if I can pinpoint the problem. Alternatively, maybe there is a timing issue, e.g. it tried to re-read while another operation was happening, but this should not be possible.

In normal use it only reads the stations once when the radio starts up. So this sounds like an issue about uploading and recognizing new stations rather than 'everyday' use.

peterkeet

« Reply #3 on: 13:32:50 | 22 April, 2021 »
Those messages look like internal start-up messages from the media server which should not usually be visible to users! /web/cds-event is an address on the internal UPNP media server that the radio looks at to find stations. 1.6.25 is the version number of the UPNP library which supports the process.

1. I could not reproduce it exactly, but I noticed that after uploading an new file , the radio's <UPnP-servers>  could not find anything. (no PC's found). Putting the radio in stand by did not change anything. But power off did: the browse radio appeared under UPnP servers and I could play the new stations. This suggest the device the device must be rebooted after adding a file. But today I deleted the first 'trial' file with stations,  rebooted, loaded this file again and the new stations were found immediately. This was on the LENCO2100B.

2. Rebooting was not needed on the other radio (AEG IR4430). I could play the stations immediately after uploading.

Where those on the station management webpage screen? Or on the radio front panel screen?
On the -2 lines- radio front panel screen

When you upload/delete station lists or create/remove folders for storing stations this makes the media server re-read the folders to register the new or removed stations available. It sounds like this didn't read the new stations properly. Do you have a copy of the station m3u file that you were loading on? I could try it and see if I can pinpoint the problem. Alternatively, maybe there is a timing issue, e.g. it tried to re-read while another operation was happening, but this should not be possible.
Could be I touched a wrong button  :-[

In normal use it only reads the stations once when the radio starts up. So this sounds like an issue about uploading and recognizing new stations rather than 'everyday' use.
I agree.

Other remarks:
1. the addon does what you intended, this is excellent;
2. I have the impression that the buffer is a bit too small: both radio's are regularly interrupted for buffering. But that varies in time, I'm now playing Calm Radio Händel (320kbps, subscribed) for  10 minutes without interruption; This has also to do with the internet, sometimes it is slow for five or ten minutes (while in general very fast);
3. good news: url's with a long subscription code are accepted, so I can play my favorite Calm Radio stations without ad's;
4. if a radio-station is not loaded quick enough (about 5-7 seconds) the media-player switches to the next radio-station;
5. my 'Sunday Baroque' file

All in all would say: the add-on works very good, I think risk of testing it on other devices is very limited! 
I will continue testing the coming days, and see if the  'strange screen' issue re-appears.

btw : it is only a week till April 30

dif

« Reply #4 on: 03:22:12 | 25 April, 2021 »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking of a few improvements but I’m going to wait until after 30th - if the radios stop working there’s no point. But if the radios continue to start up so the Media Player works I’ll look at some updates.

The buffering is really tricky, trying to work around this took the most time of all in developing this add-on. The problem is that the Media Player only gives you a few seconds between selecting the station and timing out because it thinks no data is arriving. If there’s a large buffer it can’t be filled before the player times out, especially affecting low bitrate stations.

To work around this the add-on feeds small amounts of data almost immediately to keep the player happy while the buffer continues to fill. Once the buffer is fuller it enables the full data rate, but it’s always playing catch-up. That’s why there’s often a slight blip and some buffering shortly after starting a station. High data rate stations are less affected. I have a method which might overcome this buffering issue by automatically pausing the media player for a few seconds before it starts to play. This will allow the buffer to build up but I need to develop it a little more.

The station skip thing is related to the same problem - the Media Player is quite impatient! There’s a work around for this - it’s on the download page near the bottom. Either try (1) Press Rewind (<<) to try again loading the station you want. (2) Alternatively, add the slow loading station to your stations list twice in succession. That way if the media player decides the station is too slow and jumps along to the next one it will actually just be trying the same station again. The way the media server is configured this gives the station more time to respond.

Best wishes, David. 

peterkeet

« Reply #5 on: 14:19:11 | 26 April, 2021 »
[
I’m thinking of a few improvements but I’m going to wait until after 30th - if the radios stop working there’s no point. But if the radios continue to start up so the Media Player works I’ll look at some updates.
I agree. You should also consider the advantage of playing radio stations via the "UPNP server function" compared to other options, like using the 99 'gforums' presets ( where you can also use any url).

I continued testing.

1. The bad news is that also the AEG4430 radio showed the strange screens after uploading new stations (like I reported for the Lenco2100B). Took a while (switching off and on, choosing other options) to come back in normal screens, but it did and everything is working again, your mediaserver included.

2. The good news is that I could install your Media Server on the Sonoro-elements-w (AU 4101, config923, service pack 257-a-865-a-476). I could also install and play radio-stations. No strange screens (yet). This Internet radio/Barracuda module operates in 'slave mode' I2C, which is a special case.

I will stop testing now, cross my fingers fort the coming days. Feed all the presets available, to have stations stored locally.

About Sharpfinning:
In your instructions (Sharpfin streaming media server for Reciva radios, 18th April 2021) your advice is to sharpfin a radio and then install the enhance pack as an add on. But this can be done all at once by directly installing sharpfin-ep2.install, which comes with everything needed. (download also sharpfin-ep2.install.txt, see instructions gforums). This avoids also http / https problems, like I had when I tried to install the enhance pack as an add-on.
So you only need sharpfin-ep2.install!
I did that last Saturday (24 April 2021) when I was given (!) a Roberts WM201. April 30 is near, so I sharpfinned it as quickly as possible (with the enhance pack sharpfin-ep2.install), could then install service pack 257-a-865-a-476 and had to sharpfin it again after upgrading firmware. So after more then 10 years Sharpfinning and upgrading Radio's is still possible! All files here at http://iradioforum.net/sharpfin/ , many thanks to all people who made this possible!

edit 2021/04/27: For the Sharpfin enhance pack go to https://www.sharpfin.org/index.php?title=Sharpfin_Enhance_Pack, and download sharpfin-ep2.install and sharpfin-ep2.install.txt

« Last Edit: 03:25:22 | 27 April, 2021 by peterkeet »

jpaul

« Reply #6 on: 10:53:37 | 11 May, 2021 »
Dave,

Just applied the Web Server add-on to my 2 Sanyo R227s - works splendidly!  Also did the Grace 4400M previously and since the Livio was a similar Firmware build, tried that as well.  While it installed without issue, the Livio has no Media Player option on the LCD so until I figure out how to add it, it remains unreachable. The 99 Presets will still make it more than usable. BTW, the Livio has a "Favorites" button on the front panel that serves up "My Stations". It also ADDS a new entry to the "My Stations" list at Reciva and Grace.  If I could alter that to the Presets it would be wonderful if and when the Reciva site finally goes away.
« Last Edit: 15:43:12 | 12 May, 2021 by jpaul »

EastEriq

« Reply #7 on: 11:35:33 | 11 May, 2021 »
the Livio has no Media Server option on the LCD so until I figure out how to add it,
Not that I know, but my radio has
Code: [Select]
Option:
media-player
on
Other options possibly related, but not in my config:
Code: [Select]
local-media
media-player-controls-active-gpio
media-player-in-ass
media-player-preset-lockout
unified-presets
The following users thanked this post: jpaul

dif

« Reply #8 on: 15:58:20 | 11 May, 2021 »
Great to hear that the media server option is working on some more radios.

The media player is part of the main 'ir' application that runs the radio, i.e. the main internet radio app. That suggests it might just be a config file change to make it available.

Having played with the config files previously I'd suggest changing one thing at a time and stopping as soon as it does what you want. Don't enable more things than needed as eventually you'll hit one that prevents the radio starting up. If that happens I found there's a reset option by holding the 'Select' button during start-up or something like that. That does a complete reset and Sharpfin had to be reapplied - at least I got the radio working again though.

I've not had much time to look at improving the buffering performance of the media server yet - for now I'd suggest making sure the radio is getting a really strong wi-fi signal is the best way to ensure good performance.
The following users thanked this post: jpaul

dif

« Reply #9 on: 12:10:21 | 22 May, 2021 »
peterkeet - I think I've found the cause of the strange text you were seeing on the screen when using the sharpfin internal media server. I've also just seen it here, this is the first time I've been able to reproduce the problem.

It seems to be caused if I have more than one radio with the internal media server running at the same time. The radio I switched on second gave strange text and would not load stations. I think it's somehow seeing the internal server in the first radio I'd switched on, which was on the same WiFi network, but it cannot actually reach it or use it properly.

I had configured the media servers to be self-contained within the radio, but somehow their presence is found by other radios. The immediate solution is only to run one radio at a time on the same WiFi network if using the internal media server. Improving this will be something to look at in the future.

peterkeet

« Reply #10 on: 13:16:34 | 04 June, 2021 »
Thank you very much!
This could have been the case indeed.
I will test it when I resume experimenting, which I stopped fore a while during the continuing "Reciva era is ending" period.

Your media server option is working and that is the most important!

anything