Author Topic: Firmware update for Grace Mondo Elite/Elite Classic radios -- presets galore!  (Read 407 times)

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
Hi everyone, we just released a major upgrade for our Grace Mondo Elite / Elite Classic. The new software version is 143.136. (we will be upgrading the Grace Link shortly.) Please see new features below:

1. Preset feature upgrade to 100 presets: In addition to the 10 preset buttons on the radio, we added the ability to save 90 additional presets.  Depending on what type of audio you are listening to this feature is accessible in a few ways:

For standard internet radio stations the new preset button is on the bottom right hand softkey of the Now Playing screen. For premium services like Pandora, SiriusXM and UPnP the bottom softkeys are already used. So for premium service when on the Now Playing screen press the Now Playing button on the radio and it will pull up a new screen, on this screen it will show additional song information (when available) and adds a preset button on the bottom left of the screen. This opens up the preset menu.

You can then scroll through the stations saved and either select to clear the preset or to save the currently playing station to any of the 1-100 preset locations available.
    To save a station to one of the 100 presets, on the Now Playing screen access the presets menu and then you will see the 100 preset list, scroll your cursor to the preset you want to save and select save to preset.  You can still use the 1-10 preset buttons on the radio to access or save 1-10 presets out of the 100 presets. 
    All 100 presets are saved on the radio, so they will continue to play in the event of a server outage. So now all of our premium services such as SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, Pandora as well as up to 100 saved presets work without server interaction.

2.  Graphical interface: Upgraded Now Playing interface: moved elements around such as the time to the header and improved the volume and track time bars. Changed the select bar to dark black from blue to add more contrast when scrolling in long station list.
  3.  Alarms: We found some situations where the back up alarm was not working correctly, also when using Pandora as an alarm and fade in alarm option, the fade in alarm volume was not working. Both issues are remedied.   
  4.  SiriusXM/Pandora preset bug: In some instances when playing a SiriusXM channel or Pandora by pressing one of your presets, the artist and song name was shown incorrectly.  If you still see the issue after the upgrade please save the station again on the preset and this will resolve the metadata issue. 
  5. Pandora: we upgraded the sort function in the My Collection folder. To check out this feature select ‘My Collection’ then select ‘Stations’ as example. Then when your stations are on the screen you have 4 options: Sort be recent, Sort by A-Z, and the sort order can be either Ascending or Descending.  Not all Pandora folders support sorting and different Pandora service levels have different folders.   There was also a bug when more than 1 Pandora station was saved on presets- both stations would be saved as the same station. If you had this issue please resave the Pandora station on the preset. 

6. Pandora pause: when you paused Pandora for a few minutes then went back to play it would work but often stutter later in the playback and then skip to a new song after some time. We implemented a more graceful pause functionality.

7. New remote control feature: When playing Pandora or SiriusXM music and the radio is on the Now Playing screen, press and hold the OK button on the remote and a new enhanced menu will pop up for extra features, like thumbs up/down for Pandora, the ability to get to extra stations on SiriusXM as well as the new extended 100 preset menu is accessible this way. Check it out, its fun! We also added this feature when in the keyboard board and using your remote:
        By using up / down arrows you are moving between the keys
        By using OK you can add the letter you are staying on
        By using left arrow you delete the last letter
        By using right arrow you confirm in input value
        By holding the OK button you can switch between keyboards (abc / ABC / special / num)
   8.  Radio periodic shut down:  Some customers were having issues when using other brands programmable remote control where long press volume commands would actually turn the radio off. The two main brands causing issue were Onkyo and Yamaha receiver remote controls.
   9.  My radios plus web portal: For our customers who use the enhanced features of the web portal, we fixed a bug where long list were not displayed on the radio completely. Now that we have the ability to save 100 presets on the radio the portal is not as essential except for the super users.
   10.  UPnP album artwork: Some customers reported that some album artwork was not displaying correctly for various content, this bug has been fixed.
   11.  UPnP menu: We have added fast forward and rewind on the main menu and moved shuffle and repeat to the new extended menu i.e. Long press of OK on the remote or press Now playing button on the radio when on the Now playing screen during UPnP file playback. Note: Not all UPnP media players provide time stamps, so FWD/RWD function will not work in those situations.
   12.  FLAC files: We had a few issues with some flac file formats, this has been resolved. (coming soon on the Grace Link)
   13.  New IOS apps and Android apps: were released to fix various bugs / add some feature. For those who haven’t updated the apps in awhile check out your app store and update the latest app. However, please note there are still some significant issues with the latest apps, so the guys are working on upgrading them.
    14. Snooze / sleep timer: Upgraded the function / fixed a few bugs, most notable feature was adding the ability to select preset 1-10 during sleep timer mode.   Also added the ability to use the sleep timer option via the remote for the Grace link. (coming soon on the Grace link)
    15. BBC: we updated the audio streams in our database. This update supports all Grace elite and plus model radios.
    16. Google Chromecast audio: updated to version 1.52.246654. There were not many improvements made with this update, however, Google requires we update periodically.
   17. Podcast: When a podcast RSS feed had a expired TLS certificate (which are a lot of them) we were unable to play the file. We now accept bad/expired TLS certificates and will play the file.  Additionally, we improved our ability to parse additional types of RSS feeds.  Improved podcast FWD/RWD function. Note: Not all podcast feeds provide time stamps, so FWD/RWD function will not work on those streams.  We are still updating the podcast parser so there are still a few podcast versions that are not playable.  So we will add additional interoperability in a future date.
  18.   Cyrillic characters: Added ability to support Cyrillic alphabet ( if you don’t know what that is, then it won’t enhance your enjoyment of the radio 😊)
  19.  Changed name of Radio.com in audio services folder: formally known as CBS radio and Entercom to Audacy, the new company name and radio station brand.
  20.  Wi-fi: Improved the accuracy of the wi-fi indicator as well as made some improvements to wi-fi connectivity.

Regards,

Greg
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: DrGraesler

zeewier

• Administrator
This upgrade is an improvement of what was already an excellent radio. The 100 presets that are now available are more than enough to store all my soon moribund Reciva 'My Stations' on the Mondo Elite. Good to know that these presets are stored on the Mondo and that accessing these does not depend on the radio being able to talk to some server on the internet. I also like the redesigned graphical display. It is the best I have seen on any internet radio that I have owned. I can't comment on the improvements re: Pandora and SiriusXM because these services are not available here in the UK. I also cannot comment on the bug fixes because I was not aware that these existed.

DrGraesler

Greg:

Wow! Just stumbled across your fantastic post. I just received my first of two Mondo Elites (GDI-WHA-8001) to replace my old plain vanilla Mondos. I just checked and the software version shipped with the Elite is 143.140. Question is: Is there any place, besides your fantastic post, to obtain the software update notes. Surely, Grace Digital must document their hard work somewhere, no?

The main reason for my logging in today is to ask if anyone has any suggestions for the old Mondo radios? My radios are in perfect condition and I have NOT done a Factory Reset so, hopefully, all my Presets will remain forevermore. Also, at least so far, my other saved stations (not Presets) are still playing. It seems beyond sad to just toss my two Mondos in the Trash/Electronic Recycle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solo2

• Administrator
Greg:

Wow! Just stumbled across your fantastic post. I just received my first of two Mondo Elites (GDI-WHA-8001) to replace my old plain vanilla Mondos. I just checked and the software version shipped with the Elite is 143.140. Question is: Is there any place, besides your fantastic post, to obtain the software update notes. Surely, Grace Digital must document their hard work somewhere, no?

The main reason for my logging in today is to ask if anyone has any suggestions for the old Mondo radios? My radios are in perfect condition and I have NOT done a Factory Reset so, hopefully, all my Presets will remain forevermore. Also, at least so far, my other saved stations (not Presets) are still playing. It seems beyond sad to just toss my two Mondos in the Trash/Electronic Recycle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Thanks, all updates are posted the day they are released at: https://support.gracedigital.com/hc/en-us/categories/200148844-Product-Help

We also update the online manuals which are  available on our regular web site and support site.

Saved stations ie stations in my stuff are saved on the portal, so those go away too - only thing accessible after the qualcomm shut down  are presets and history ...

The new elite software allows for 100 stations saved on the radio. While we now own and manage our own database so I won’t be shutting it down like a 3rd party could, having 100 stations helps to mitigate that concern.  Additionally premium services like iheartradio, pandora, siriusxm and Amazon music go directly to the service provider not a 3rd party server like the reciva / qualcomm radios did so those don’t use any 3rd party server in the middle like the old radios.

Not sure who would want someone else’s radio with their 10 favorite presets on them.  :-(

Thanks, Greg
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: ericf3, DrGraesler

DrGraesler

Once again, Greg, a BIG thank you. The URL for the support page is probably posted/written elsewhere. But putting it in your post was extremely helpful. There is a nitpick tho'. The software update on the support page isn't current. Lynda has the last update as of 4/21/21 at 143.36. I received my Elite yesterday and the software is at 143.140.
Also, it would be extremely helpful if the online manuals had the version number of the issue. I can tell that the current online manual is more current that the one I received with the Elite in that that manual has a 2020 date on the back cover while the online one shows 2021. The only question is which 2021 version is it? Displaying a manual version number or, even better, the software version number on the manual inside front page would be very helpful.

I hope my comments prove beneficial.

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
Greg:
Not sure who would want someone else’s radio with their 10 favorite presets on them.  :-(

I couldn't agree more. 10 presets is nowhere near enough, and some radios even come/came with only 7, 5 or even 3 locally stored presets. 30 (Roberts) or 40 (Hama) is quite OK. Some Recive radios (notably some King Champion supplied models) had 99. With the Sharpfin patch it is possible to augment most compatible Reciva radios to 99, you just have to remember to change the remote codes to allow access to them.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

DrGraesler

Greg:

I'm puzzled. In your recent response you said:
"Thanks, all updates are posted the day they are released at: https://support.gracedigital.com/hc/en-us/categories/200148844-Product-Help
We also update the online manuals which are  available on our regular web site and support site."

Last week I received my first of two Mondo Elite radios. It has Firmware version 143.140. The Grace Digital support site still lists version143.136 as the current version. I contacted Lynda Smith via Chat regarding Release Notes or a User Guide for version 143.140 and she says she's not heard anything about the version I have. Not complaining, just puzzled.

Solo2

• Administrator
Per Greg-at-Grace:

"We had an issue in a production build where our crystal offset was not correct and the developers created .140 to fix that. It’s the same as .136.  When we do the next version of software both 140 and 136 will merge."

No, I don't know what a crystal offset might be, but it sounds like something that shouldn't be incorrect.

Paul Webster

Perhaps a configuration change (related to hardware timing) and then rebuild rather than changing lines of source code.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

anything