login

Author Topic: R4: "Due to rights restrictions, this part of the programme is unavailable"  (Read 20211 times)

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
They are probably applying the same sporting event restrictions as football. The Beeb have sewn up most coverage with 24 Olympic sport channels on Sky, which are duplicated on TVCatchup. You could try VipBox. http://www.vipbox.tv/olympics.html

I think you may have misunderstood the problem. The problem here is not "How can I watch BBC Olympic coverage from abroad?"; the problem is "Why is BBC Radio 4 sometimes not available to internet radios located abroad, since the Olympics started?".

TVCatchup, by the way, apply very, very strict (and effective) detection techniques to stop anyone outside the UK (or inside the UK but using a foreign ISP) accessing their streams.

As for Sky, who have nothing at all to do with internet radio, it is indeed a common misconception in the UK (which Sky seem to take no pains at all to correct) that they own the satellites they use. Sky do not own any satellites at all at all. And the BBC and Sky are not the best of friends.
« Last Edit: 06:35:55 | 28 July, 2012 by Dogmatix »
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

MI5

They are probably applying the same sporting event restrictions as football. The Beeb have sewn up most coverage with 24 Olympic sport channels on Sky, which are duplicated on TVCatchup. You could try VipBox. http://www.vipbox.tv/olympics.html

I think you may have misunderstood the problem. The problem here is not "How can I watch BBC Olympic coverage from abroad?"; the problem is "Why is BBC Radio 4 sometimes not available to internet radios located abroad, since the Olympics started?".

TVCatchup, by the way, apply very, very strict (and effective) detection techniques to stop anyone outside the UK (or inside the UK but using a foreign ISP) accessing their streams.

As for Sky, who have nothing at all to do with internet radio, it is indeed a common misconception in the UK (which Sky seem to take no pains at all to correct) that they own the satellites they use. Sky do not own any satellites at all at all. And the BBC and Sky are not the best of friends.
And I think you may have understood the answer, which was, that as the BBC had sewn up most rights, they were probably applying the same copyright restrictions to their Radio stations that they employ for football matches.

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Slightly OT, but the Beeb has changed its flash on the live website so BoxeeBox will no longer work :-(

As I understand it there is unlikely to be a BoxeeBox update to cope with this since rumours state that there will be a successor in the fall.

If anyone here is from the BBC please note that myself and plenty of other ex-pats would gladly pay the licence fee, although I do realise it's a little more complicated that that.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

castalla

• Administrator
This may explain what's going on - posted on the Logitech forum by user bpa:

At a guess because these programmes are live perhaps BBC are being v. cautious in case some live broadcast from Olympics are included in the programmes and they won't know until program has ended.

edit:
 Proper BBC explanation with comments from a lot of similarly annoyed listeners
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/20...l_radio_s.html

The problem is broadcasting some programmes from Olympics Park studios and so the rights restricitons apply - regardless of content.
ARTICLE 50 - NOT IN MY NAME

Dogmatix

This may explain what's going on - posted on the Logitech forum by user bpa:

At a guess because these programmes are live perhaps BBC are being v. cautious in case some live broadcast from Olympics are included in the programmes and they won't know until program has ended.

edit:
 Proper BBC explanation with comments from a lot of similarly annoyed listeners
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/20...l_radio_s.html

The problem is broadcasting some programmes from Olympics Park studios and so the rights restricitons apply - regardless of content.

This link works a bit better:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/2012/07/the_bbcs_international_radio_s.html#comments

Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Paul Webster

BBC say that they have recently discussed this with IOC and as a consequence will be reducing this restriction (but not removing it).
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
Listeners who are also on Facebook may be interested in this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/378019132265972/

Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average

Dogmatix

6 o'clock news loud & clear on Radio 4. How nice of the IOC to allow the BBC to allow us to hear the news again....

"UPDATE (29 July): After discussion, the IOC and the BBC have agreed that there is no need to block our international streams of Radio 4 programmes with a wide news agenda. Radio 5 Live (apart from the news programme Up All Night) and 5 Live Olympics Extra will remain available only in the UK. The Chris Evans Breakfast Show on Radio 2 will also now be available internationally. Radio 5 Live Sports Extra coverage of non Olympic Sports will be available as normal."
« Last Edit: 10:22:36 | 29 July, 2012 by Dogmatix »

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
It's still an outrageous imposition ... who do they think they are? And what the heck is the BBC doing agreeing to all this?

Shameful.

castalla

• Administrator
They are equivalent to an independent state - just wait until you discover the tax-exemptions they also extract, and you'll be even madder.

Dig below the surface and they are just another bunch of self-serving chancers (surrounded by corruption, etc).   Does wonders for the sponsors, too.

Pity about the atheletes sold down the river every 4 years.

Yep! Yet another moaning minnie here.

Dogmatix

And what the heck is the BBC doing agreeing to all this?

Perhaps it was either that or see the whole lot go to Sky...

castalla

• Administrator
Sky? Spit.

Murdoch's mob now have a seat on the Roku board.  BTW, Roku is going downhill fast - tied up with some outfit called Dishworld which sanctions which overseas channels can be allowed, and now SKY's involved.   They also recently mangled iPlayer with a flawed update which they haven't fixed.

Their forum admin are a censorious lot - didn't like it when I compared them to the Central Committe of the N. Korean Workers' Party - got banned.

Alan E Hill

• Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
That's not a good thing?

Dogmatix

Issue now mentioned on BBC news website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19046092

castalla

• Administrator
It's reached the point where, at the end of the day, I really don't care anymore.

I enjoyed Boyle's take on British modern history, and it was worth every penny to drive even just one Tory apoplectic.  And at the very least, Brenda should get a BAFTA for her performance.

anything