Author Topic: Firmware updates  (Read 4445 times)

Paul Webster

Firmware updates
« on: 14:49:16 | 27 January, 2017 »
Over on Grace Digital Facebook page there was a comment by head of Grace Digital in response to a request to add Spotify support.
Response was
"Unfortunately, the new Qualcomm team who now owns reciva, will not support additional software upgrades.
Hence we will not be able to add new services like Spotify to the radios"
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
Re: Firmware updates
« Reply #1 on: 18:00:56 | 27 January, 2017 »
Sounds like the beginning of the end.
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #2 on: 03:12:21 | 28 January, 2017 »
I think the Reciva servers (or is that "Grace servers"?) and the Reciva database ("Grace database"?) will be maintained for some time. There are still some Reciva-based radios on sale new from remaining stock, and some brands still have such radios in their catalogues (eg. DNT IPdio Mini and Tune, and current Grace internet radios).

Unless Grave themselves want to step out of the internet radio business, they will need to introduce new non-Reciva based radios, either of their own concoction, maybe using the Reciva database, or by switching to Frontier or MediaU. They didn't seem to have anything at CES, not that I've been able to find out about, anyway.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #3 on: 04:02:58 | 28 January, 2017 »
I hope that if Grace brings out a line of radios that don't depend on Reciva, they give assurance to their existing customers that the Reciva servers will be maintained. Otherwise they will lose a lot of goodwill.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Keenite

• Change is overrated
« Reply #4 on: 12:39:59 | 28 January, 2017 »
Let's make Reciva great again!

Greg

« Reply #5 on: 17:06:38 | 31 January, 2017 »
Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you , that yes indeed my post over on Facebook, is true.  We will no longer be developing radios on the reciva solution. We stopped developing radios on that platform some time ago.  While I can't share confidential information, we have been unable to modify the reciva software for a long time (as I am sure many of you know).  Grace does not own the software on our radios.  We contracted Reciva to develop the software for us, but they maintained ownership of the code. After reciva was acquired by CSR then acquired by Qualcomm, it was just not possible to get additional updates. (there is a slight possibility we may get one more update related to iheartradio but just consider it a treat if it happens )

Qualcomm has been and continues to be a fantastic partner and extremely helpful and communicative.   Grace Digital will continue to sell reciva based radios for the foreseeable future ( up to the next 2 years, depending on the model) and 100% intends to support the servers for many years after that.   Of course no one can predict the future, but that is the plan and intention of all parties involved.   

So that's all good news. But because of the inability to update the client (radio) code, we are unable to add ANY new services, including Spotify, and we will not be able to add the ability to stream HTTPS streams which some companies, like NPR are moving to over the next couple years.   I truly wish we could have stayed on the reciva platform for new product development and simply added new services but it just wasn't in the cards. 

With that being said, we will be launching our new products in 2017 ( for the Frontier fans, nope, not on their platform )
For some hints on our new product developments please check out my post at:

•   The Internet Radio Forum »
•   Hardware & Firmware »
•   Reciva Internet Radio Devices »
•   Grace Digital

Best Regards,
Greg Fadul
CEO - Grace Digital

anything