login

Author Topic: reciva.com shutting down?  (Read 17107 times)

ericf3

reciva.com shutting down?
« on: 08:09:13 | 26 October, 2020 »
greetings

this banner was atop the reciva.com site today:

Notice: With effect from 31 January 2021 this website will be withdrawn.
Please refer to your radio manufacturer or supplier.

EricF
Vancouver BC
Radios in use: 3 CCWiFi, 2 Ocean Digital

Paul Webster

Re: reciva.com shutting down?
« Reply #1 on: 08:29:53 | 26 October, 2020 »
I've sent a message to old contact there to see if there is more info - but he has not replied to messages for a while so not sure if still there.

I wonder if Grace is taking it over completely and will then only support it for their own radios.
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Solo2

• Administrator
  • On the internet, no one knows whose dog you are.
« Reply #2 on: 08:42:55 | 26 October, 2020 »
I wonder if Grace is taking it over completely and will then only support it for their own radios.

Nope.  When Qualcomm pulls the plug, it's gone. Apparently, even stations with URLs stored locally on the radios as presets, will eventually stop working.  The reciva chips require a token to be renewed periodically from the reciva server;  once the server is turned off, the token can no longer be renewed, and the radio becomes a dead parrot.  Apparently reciva did this to prevent their chips from being pirated.

Grace is going to make a public announcement shortly to clarify what's going on.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps

Baldman

« Reply #3 on: 11:47:03 | 26 October, 2020 »
 Is Alan still going to shut down this website. He posted earlier this year he might. We'll have nowhere to discuss this shut down by Reciva if he does. :( :'(
Grace Encore and Bravada

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 12:18:03 | 26 October, 2020 »
I believe Alan decided to keep this site going for a while.  You'll have a ringside seat.
Radios:  Grace GDI-IRMS300, Grace IRC6000B, 2 Grace GDI-WHA6001, Grace  GDI-WHA 7501, Grace GDI-WHA8001, Hama DIT2100MSBT Grace and Reciva iradio apps
The following users thanked this post: Baldman

Baldman

« Reply #5 on: 19:44:06 | 26 October, 2020 »
I believe Alan decided to keep this site going for a while.  You'll have a ringside seat.
Well this only place I go as far as Internet radios go.
Grace Encore and Bravada

Paul Webster

« Reply #6 on: 23:11:17 | 26 October, 2020 »
If they choose to not make the back-end software and domain names available to a 3rd-party then it would probably require new firmware - e.g. via Sharpfin and some considerable development work to replace the Reciva application with an alternative
e.g. one that fetches station data from TuneIn or elsewhere
Complex work on old hardware - especially as it is not the same hardware on each device.

Once it has been done then it would be a challenge for many users to install even if they manage to find a web site that documents a solution.

Ideal project for a locked down ex-Reciva person ...
Reciva-based Logik IR100 and Tangent Quattro MKII plus lots of Logitech (ex-Slimdevices) Squeezebox and 2 old Turtlebeach Audiotron, handful of O2 Jogglers and some Raspberry Pis

Dogmatix

• Origin England; resident in Germany.
« Reply #7 on: 02:20:19 | 27 October, 2020 »
I visited this forum yesterday, and saw this thread listed, but before I could open it, the site went down, or at least, became inaccessible from where I am. This lasted untl after midnight (CET). So I looked at the Reciva website and found the notice mentioned by Eric.

Not being able to find anything anywhere else, I sent an email to Reciva (no answer) and to Grace customer care, as Grace appaerently has close connections to the Recive database and whoever is currently running the website. They responded in their afternoon that they were also trying to figure out what was going on and how it would affect their Reciva-based users.

It s unclear whether just the portal is closing, or if the whole back-end is closing, or if the database is also closing. Which it is will dictate to what extent Reciva radios can still remain usable.

It is all very well for Reciva to suggest that users "refer to their radio manufacturer" (by which they presumably mean brand, rather than the actual manufacturers like King Champion and Hip Shing). However, a good number of brands are either defunct or no longer in the internet rado business or have decided that Reciva radios have reached end-of-support. It would be nice to think that those still in the business (like Grace and Roberts) would offer owners of their Reciva-based models a trade-in discount on new models, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Dogmatix

« Reply #8 on: 02:35:51 | 27 October, 2020 »

Nope.  When Qualcomm pulls the plug, it's gone. Apparently, even stations with URLs stored locally on the radios as presets, will eventually stop working.  The reciva chips require a token to be renewed periodically from the reciva server;  once the server is turned off, the token can no longer be renewed, and the radio becomes a dead parrot.  Apparently reciva did this to prevent their chips from being pirated.

Grace is going to make a public announcement shortly to clarify what's going on.

The Reciva announcement seems to have caught Grace by surprise. If Reciva radios do become bereft of life, shuffle off their mortal coils and join the bleedin' choir invisible, then a lot of Grace Reciva users in Canada and the US of A are going to get a bit upset at Grace. Even if Grace offer them a discount on a new model, the current range of radios hardly covers the manifold radio types and formats that Grace used to purvey.
Radios in use: Roberts Stream 93i & SB1 (×2), Revo Pixis RX, Hama DIT2100, IR110 & DIR3500, Technisat 520. No smart speakers, no voice-control gadgets.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 04:18:28 | 27 October, 2020 »
You're mistaken about the "surprised" part (Grace and Qualcomm have been in constant communication) but you are quite correct in judging the potential number of pissed off customers.  On the other hand, it's been maybe 5 years since Grace sold a reciva-based radio -- they're on their 2nd generation of reciva-free radios.  I'll just say I'm glad I bought that Hama tuner.

To those thinking about replacing a reciva-based Grace radio with a new one, buying from the Grace website and using the checkout code "upgrade30" yields a 30% discount.

Alan E Hill

• Oh! That British Bloke ...
  • Administrator
  • That British Bloke ...
    • Oh! That British Bloke ...
« Reply #10 on: 05:38:03 | 28 October, 2020 »

Yes... I'm keeping it on for now...

However, we need to consider its format for the future. It's been a while since RecivaRefuge. The whole landscape of internet audio has changed. We need to take account...
Alan | That British Bloke colonising Navarumsunk, NJ, USA, where all the women are strong, all the men good-looking, and all the children above average
Today I'm mostly listening to LiquidLounge
The following users thanked this post: peterkeet

Dogmatix

« Reply #11 on: 02:59:13 | 30 October, 2020 »
I have had replies from Reciva and from Roberts to question I put to them about the notice on the Reciva website. I aksed if the withdrawal referred only to the website, or to the whole Recva service, and the future usability of the rados.

Recva wrote: "As previously noted, from 31st January our internet radio station finding service will no longer be available. We are not able to offer any further support with regard to any specific radios".

Roberts wrote: "We are currently unsure whether the entire Reciva service is being shut down or just the web portal. I will let you know once we receive further information."

As for Grace, we are stll awaiting their "shortly" announcement.

So we still don't know if just the "station finding service" will be withdrawn, and the rest of the infrastructure will stll be working, meaning that stations can still be searched and found on radios, or if Qualcomm is pulling the plug on the whole system. Possibly Grace and Roberts are trying to get Qualcomm to hold off on that. Although brands with a large internet radio portfolio, like Hama and even Roberts, might not be totally averse to a move which would put people in the market for a new radio, Grace have a problem in that their current portfolio is very limited, and not a patch on what they used to offer, leading some of their customers to look elsewhere - even across the Atlantic - for suitable replacements.
« Last Edit: 02:08:11 | 31 October, 2020 by Dogmatix »

peterkeet

« Reply #12 on: 03:48:44 | 30 October, 2020 »
Would crowd funding be an option for software development to save our radio’s internet functioning beyond Reciva?  I would be in for 50 bucks.

internetradios: medion  p85023  - medion p85035 - HAMA dir3110 - 2*Sonoro Elements-W

zeewier

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 05:20:01 | 30 October, 2020 »
When Reciva radios have stopped working after January, there may be a way to keep them going by following the workaround as outlined here: https://minimradio.com.

The instructions on that page are primarily aimed at listening to BBC HLS streams, but it is possible to add non-BBC stations if you know the streaming URLs. This works indeed, as I have found out (I am listening right now to the Dutch NPO Radio 4 stream that I've set up in this way).

Now, the My Streams feature will presumably be killed along with all other features of the radios.reciva.com portal, but when your favourite station has been stored on the radio as a preset and is accessed via the Minimradio workaround, would it not remain available indefinitely? AFAIK preset streams are played directly from the streaming server, not via Reciva.

Solo2

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 05:32:13 | 30 October, 2020 »
when your favourite station has been stored on the radio as a preset and is accessed via the Minimradio workaround, would it not remain available indefinitely? AFAIK preset streams are played directly from the streaming server, not via Reciva.

I also assumed that was the case, but when I asked Grace about it, their reply was that while the presets would work for a time, eventually even that function won't work because the radios require a token to be renewed periodically from a Reciva server.  If the server is gone and the token can't be renewed, the radio becomes a doorstop.  It wasn't clear how long the radio will work before it bites down on the cyanide capsule